Bike Skills

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
fluffybunnyuk

Bike Skills

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I thought Id come to the fountain of knowledge for suggestions....
I ride alot , and its always good to check my general bike use. The ironic thing is I live in London and cant find anyone who can do it for less than an arm and a leg...
So any ideas on how to find someone who I could call in on from time to time for a refresher.
The last person I tried patronised me about not wearing a helmet...Although Im not exactly sure how wearing a helmet improves either my awareness,bike handling or understanding of traffic.
pjclinch

Re: Bike Skills

Post by pjclinch »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:I thought Id come to the fountain of knowledge for suggestions....
I ride alot , and its always good to check my general bike use. The ironic thing is I live in London and cant find anyone who can do it for less than an arm and a leg...
So any ideas on how to find someone who I could call in on from time to time for a refresher.
The last person I tried patronised me about not wearing a helmet...Although Im not exactly sure how wearing a helmet improves either my awareness,bike handling or understanding of traffic.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/courses-and-training is the CTC's own start point for this, may be worth a look.
There's also https://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/the-three-levels/cycling-skills-for-adults/

Cyclecraft is usually worth a (re)read, and you can also download the training manuals at https://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/delivering-bikeability/bikeability-course-guides/ and see how your practice compares.

If anyone's on at you about helmets point out that the National Standards for Cycle Training have no requirement of them, and if they're not aware of that then they're probably a waste of space (if you do wear one NS requires you to be able to fit it properly, but if you don't wear one you waive that particular issue).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Philip Benstead

Re: Bike Skills

Post by Philip Benstead »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:I thought Id come to the fountain of knowledge for suggestions....

I am cycle instructor and live and work in London I may be able to help you.
I do not wear a helmet.

Where do you live in London.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic