Adult Cycle Training - how do you find clients?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
soundcycling

Adult Cycle Training - how do you find clients?

Post by soundcycling »

I teach adults in the Southampton area under the name of Sound Cycling, having qualified as a National Standards Instructor June with CTC. It is very slow getting off the ground and would like to hear about others' experience.

If you are an independent instructor doing one-to-one sessions with (mostly) adults:
* have you registered as a Bikeability scheme, and if so, did that bring in a lot more business?
* does your local authority promote cycle training and are they helpful?
* do you work in any health service initiatives, e.g. cycle training on prescription etc to promote health through cycling?
* do you work with employers?
Any any tips generally about promoting your cycle training would be appreciated.

I find cycle training for adults is a thing that people often don't know exists until told. I have done various things to promote myself but so far little response. I would love to hear from people who are ahead of me, a little buddy group would be great. I would really like to work together with someone else in my area. Many thanks
Vorpal

Re: Adult Cycle Training - how do you find clients?

Post by Vorpal »

I am not doing cycle training anymore (I moved abroad), but when I was doing it, I got most of work through the local authority. They did Bikeability, but not all local authorities require it. I also organised some health rides, that were posted up in the the local surgery and community centres. I got a few trainees out of those. I got a couple through my cycling club. I also worked with a training partner. Bikeability in schools is much easier with two people working together. I knew (or got to know) the folks in local Bike shops and left a stack of my cards in a couple of them. My training partner got some work by similar means, but it was a second job for him, so he passed on what he couldn't do. I also went along on beginner rides that were run in the area, and (with the ride leaders permission), let people know that training was available to them. Usually the ride leaders were happy enough to have a little extra help, and didn't mind me looking for bussiness as long as I wasn't pushy about it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
soundcycling

Post by soundcycling »

Thanks Vorpal for your quick reply. I have am doing most of what you say except running health rides. Did you do this in collaboration with health services or your own initiative? I could do much more but wondering where to focus my time & energy. Our local authorities have a generous discount for adult training. Southampton has one contract with just two instructors with no possibility of anyone leaving or joining! I'm waiting for them to change this. For South Hampshire I'm on instructor list but it's poorly publicised so very low uptake. Registering as a Bikeability scheme as an individual instructor is tedious but doable - at least I would be listed on the Bikeability website, but wonder if many people use that to look for an instructor. I have a website, cards, am on various local directories, cards in bike shops, fitness centres, GP surgeries... Would be grateful for further thoughts and ideas and maybe others would benefit too. Many thanks
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The only additional thing I would suggest... contact local police. Firstly, it may be worthwhile for some of them to take training (some of Essex police have), and they may think to recommend training to pavement and gutter cyclists :)

I know a Bikeability instructor who got some business that way.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I do (volunteer) training for Healthy Working Lives, which is an NHS Scotland programme of encouraging activity etc. in to the daily work schedule (mainly within the NHS itself, but we're a big employer!). I kind of guess you won't be looking for business in Scotland, but the local NHS may have something similar, and if they don't you might plant a seed.

Another Scotland-centric thing that might be worth seeing if it (or something like it) exists down your way is the "Cycle Friendly Employer" scheme. CFEs, or companies looking to be a CFE, might be interested in offering training to their employees.

Best of luck with it,
Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
soundcycling

Post by soundcycling »

Thanks Vorpal and pjclinch. I have tried police and health service and didn't get anywhere so far but will keep trying. I think there should be a lot of mileage in both these areas.
Regards
Eleanor
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you have some time on your hands, it may be worth volunteering, or running beginner rides on you own time. You could get training for a national organisation to be a ride leader. That may get you some clients, and it will certianly get you some exposure and allow you to start building a network.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

soundcycling wrote:Thanks Vorpal and pjclinch. I have tried police and health service and didn't get anywhere so far but will keep trying. I think there should be a lot of mileage in both these areas.
Regards
Eleanor

Where do you live?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

1. No, the syllabus I teach is much more advanced than Bikeability.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Yes.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:1. No, the syllabus I teach is much more advanced than Bikeability.

Out of interest, what does "much more advanced" cover, and over what sort of duration and at what cost?
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:1. No, the syllabus I teach is much more advanced than Bikeability.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Yes.

I get the joke?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Advanced road skills, advanced off road skills, skills pertinent to individual categories of EMS user (eg police patrol stuff, search techniques for SAR etc), first aid to FASTaid level, defensive tactics, all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. I can even teach techniques for armed officers on cycles, though that's pretty redundant over here.

Depends on the venue, the travelling, the existing level of training etc, but anything up to 4 days and £1200 per candidate. I do special rates for Mountain Rescue and ALSAR teams, and once my costs are covered any profit from MR &ALSAR training is donated to my local ALSAR team, of which I am a member.

I've only ever had one group that caused me any grief, a group of plain clothes police officers who clearly didn't want to be there. I offered them the choice of shutting up and getting on with it, or phoning their area commander and they kept it buttoned for the rest of the course.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.