Ride Leader for U18s

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
fcwalker

Ride Leader for U18s

Post by fcwalker »

Is there a specific ride leader qualification for taking U18 riders on road rides?
Si

Re: Ride Leader for U18s

Post by Si »

From what I've managed to find out recently, qualifications for ride leading, as opposed to teaching bikeability, don't seem to conform to any national standard, thus it would be possible for anyone to set up a course and hand out certificates at the end of it!

If you are going to be doing this kind of leading then I'm guessing that you are doing it for someone as that makes it easier to get your DBS(enhanced CRB), as discussed previously - it's difficult but not impossible to get one for yourself. So it may be worth talking to who you are doing the leading for and see what qualification they want.

I did the CTC Ride Management course - this has lots of stuff about snaking in, the sot of stuff that you need if riding inexperienced kids. It also had kids specific bits, and I'm sure that they course organisers could tailor the whole course to be childrens' ride specific if you where getting several people trained, or could find others who wanted similar training.

Indeed, there is this: http://www.ctc.org.uk/courses-and-train ... eader-road which might suit?
fcwalker

Re: Ride Leader for U18s

Post by fcwalker »

Thanks. It is not for me. I had a meeting yesterday with an active schools co-ordinator who is trying to set up school cycling clubs. I was not sure about insurance/liability for ride leaders taking young riders out