Adult Cycle Training - Leicestershire

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Merry_Wanderer

Adult Cycle Training - Leicestershire

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Can anyone please help point both myself and partner in the right direction to do some Cycle Training?

I have recently persuaded my partner to buy a bike (which she loves riding) and we ride on a variety of urban and rural roads in the day and now recently in the dark. What I am looking for both of us is some training locally (we live in Hinckley in Leics) which would teach us road positioning ie primary and secondary positions, signalling and how to make yourself be seen. I am conscious that on my commute to work I have had a near miss when someone turned right across my path and I would like to take every opportunity I can to make myself a more aware and safer rider & I would also like my partner to learn the same skills - I really don't want to see her put off at this stage especially as she has gained so much confidence in her ability (I am sure her fitness will soon outstrip mine!).

I have looked at Bikeability and tried the links but am going around in circles as none of the providers mentioned for Leics seem to have any courses on offer. Should I be contacting the County Council or the City Council in Leicester or would a private provider be a better option?
Vorpal

Re: Adult Cycle Training - Leicestershire

Post by Vorpal »

You can try contacting the county council. They do offer free cycle training. http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/environme ... events.htm
However, I don't know if training is available this time of year. They certainly haven't posted anything on the website.

You can also check with local CTC instructors http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/cycle-skills
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction :-)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You're welcome. Good luck finding some training.

It may also be worth getting yourself a copy (or two?) of Cyclecraft by John Franklin. The book lays out the principles upon which Bikeability is based (including secindary, primary, etc.). It's available from TSO or amazon.

It's definitely worth reading, even if you do find training.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jimbo75

Post by jimbo75 »

A lot of the Bikeability instructors who work in Birmingham are usually happy to do private lessons.

Send a PM.

Cheers

Jim
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Merry wanderer

Like you, my wife and I also live in Middle Earth Hinckley meh duck.....

I have a friend who may be able to help you, he lives in Leics, he has a number of ctc approved riding qualifications, which are listed his own web site for you to have a look and to make conduct if you feel he can help you.

He is also a 'cyctech' cycle qualified mechanic where he can service your bike or allows you to do it with his supervision. if you PM me I can send you all the details which I hope you will find helpful.

You may have seen my wife and I about on our Bromptons or recently purchased dawes galaxies... :D