Nat Standards course requirements?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Si

Nat Standards course requirements?

Post by Si »

For those that have done the four day national standards training course, along with the requirements for a road worthy bike, sensible clothing, a pen and paper, etc was it mandatory for you to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike on the road during the course?
billynibbles
Location: Hounslow (to where the population of Southall drives every day with no apparent regard for cyclists)

Re: Nat Standards course requirements?

Post by billynibbles »

Did mine a couple of years ago with 'Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames' . I'm pretty sure it wasn't mandatory although I think I did wear mine at least some of the time. The neighbouring borough that I actually work for does however insist on helmets whilst working in schools, but that's another story. Even then, we don't insist of adult pupils wearing them, and I'm happy not to wear mine as a 'mark of solidarity' with the pupil.
National Standard Cycling Instructor. Brompton 16" folder, Dahon Matrix 26" folder, Ridgeback 700C Hybrid, Moulton De-Luxe 'doer-upper' project
Si

Post by Si »

Cheers. I just found it a bit odd that an organisation that is providing cycle training for trainers (i.e. an organisation that should really be on the ball with these things) should make this insistence rather than following the more sensible route as shown by the CTC - e.g. responsible adults should be able to make up their own minds, but if you do wear one then make sure that it has the correct safety standards and is fitted correctly, etc. Now it may be that they only insist upon this because their insurance makes them, but there are plenty of places to get insurance that wouldn't, plus you would expect them to state this in the literature so that people know why they are doing it and don't hold it against them. This, and a display of poor admin, doesn't give me good feelings about the quality of training that I might get!
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I qualified as a National Standard Instructor in March 2004 and have also completed a number of refresher sessions and special modules since.
At no time has a helmet been compulsory.
I believe those organisations that insist on instructors and trainees always using them are doing the National Standards a disservice.

When delivering training I advise that children wear a properly fitted cycle helmet but emphasise that while they may prevent injury from falls and knocks, the most important aspect of cycling safely depends upon the riders' own skills, awareness and anticipation techniques.
However it is the parent who makes the final choice.
It is not a legal requirement so It is an adult's choice as to whether or not they wear one.

I get exasperated at the number of schools that insist on them without understanding the issues and have to grin and bear it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

These sorts of rules are often old and followed on account of being there. If you don't actively question them nothing will change.

Tayside Police have just announced they're getting out of cycle training. While they were reviewing staying in or not I asked why they had a compulsory trainee helmet requirement and speaking to the (pretty good and clued-in) road safety co-ordinator it turned out it dated back to 1996 when they'd started and until I'd asked nobody had even questioned it, or not in such a way that any process was entered in to. Having waited for the outcome of their involvement review before proceeding I'm now finding out who's in charge in Perth & Kinross and will be taking it up with them if they attempt to keep it in place. If I don't I doubt anyone else will.

Tim Gill's "Cycling and Children and Young people" report is good ammunition. If they've got dumb rules, challenge them! It may not make you popular, but it might make the training better.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

We provide training for children at schools in North Wales & the Local Authority insist that children wear a helmet.We wear them whilst training,but emphasise that gloves are probably as important.
Will generally ride with a helmet,but on Veteran Club rides or on traffic free routes usually don't wear it.
Coincidentally,Welsh Squash insist that all Under 19 players must wear goggles when playing,so guess it's just litigeous fearing authorities, even if the supposed benefits are questionable.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Many of the instructor training providers do not require helmets. Most local authorities do. If a local authority is paying for the course, helmet wearing may be their requirement? I haven't enountered instructor training providers that require helmets, but I'm only familiar with a handful of them. I know that one of the topics that is supposed to be covered is the benefits/hazards related to helmet wearing, but at least one instructor training provider does *not* cover this with NI trainees. :(

I have tried to point out to a couple of LAs that training should take priority over the wearing of polystyrene hats, but with little joy. They seem to want to hide behind the insurance-made-us-do-it excuse.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom