Should parents be training children to ride bikes?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Vorpal

Re: Should parents be training children to ride bikes?

Post by Vorpal »

WaterLab Rat wrote:Of course, if the professional cycle trainers don't respond to on line querries submitted on their websites about providing cycle training parents are just going to have to do the best they can on their own - which in my case isn't really working. So that will be on less cyclist then, best I can hope for then is that when my daughter is older and starts to learn to drive I can at least find a driving instructor who will teach her respect for all other road users.

I expect that the on-line enquiry goes to an admin or coordinator at the local authority, rather than directly to any professional cycle trainers.

That introduces the bureaucracy factor. You might get a quicker response to a pm to Keepontriking.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

The Enquiry Form came in on 5th November the day the site was being readjusted - moving hosts too to a more environmentally friendly one.
It was responded to to the evening of the 6th.
These things sometimes happen.
Responses are usually within 24 hours, but this one slipped a little :-(
Whoops.
Bikecat

Post by Bikecat »

Interestingly enough I find that most children learn better when their parents are not there! Especially if the parent has been unsuccessful. From the child's point of view they seem to prefer to be on their own and from my point of view it prevents parents trying to teach the kid at the same time as me (often with the information that didn't work!). I usually tell the parent, and demonstrate, when they come back, what I have been teaching the child and hope they can take it on board.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I agree that with beginners the parent/carer should be at 'arms length' but on-call. The trainee often prefers it that way too, as it can take any pressure off. Running through the various processes with the parent/carer helps for their assisting the trainee later.
Wholeheartedly agree with you Bikecat.

With Levels 1-2 involving the parent 'as a trainee' helps the adult understand the principles behind the training, which can often be eye-opening for them too, especially on road positioning and pre-manoevre thinking! So many parents still think of "keep well in" style of riding and expect that to be taught.
They can then go away after the session and effectively be an ongoing instructor with their child.
Of course it needs to be made clear within any involvement that they are not to take an instructing role.

Npw off to teach some new cyclists.
And the sun is out too :-)
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

keepontriking wrote:The Enquiry Form came in on 5th November the day the site was being readjusted - moving hosts too to a more environmentally friendly one.
It was responded to to the evening of the 6th.
These things sometimes happen.
Responses are usually within 24 hours, but this one slipped a little :-(
Whoops.

Sorry, my bad for feeling frustrated. I will reply to your e-mail and see what we can fix up.
mandolinjohn

Post by mandolinjohn »

Parents should be taking an active interest in teaching their kids to ride bikes, alongside the professional help we give as cycle instructors. We can give them a 6 hour course, but unless that is supported by parents, the benefits are limited. I always maintain we should teach the parents, rather than the kids. After all, if you have a dog, it's the owner that is trained, you don't send your dog off to the lesson on it's own, do you?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mandolinjohn wrote:Parents should be taking an active interest in teaching their kids to ride bikes, alongside the professional help we give as cycle instructors. We can give them a 6 hour course, but unless that is supported by parents, the benefits are limited. I always maintain we should teach the parents, rather than the kids. After all, if you have a dog, it's the owner that is trained, you don't send your dog off to the lesson on it's own, do you?

I'd agree with that up to a point, but while a dog using its training will be in the presence of its owner it's entirely likely that children won't be with their parents when they use theirs: after all, a lot of the good of children cycling is allowing them much greater range to be independent.

A trainee who subsequently gets on their bike on a day to day basis and uses it by themselves to get around the place will get far more out of training than a child who rides once in a while with their parents, even if those parents came along and did the training too.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

But at least if the parents were trained, they wouldn't actively undo the good that training does for their children.

The number of times, I've seen or heard a parent telling a child to ride closer to the side...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
meic

Post by meic »

In Carmarthenshire the authorities teach the kids to ride further in.

Yes, good old Cycling Proficiency and then parents like me (who clearly know nothing (doesnt even have a helmet)) come and undo all their hard work.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

meic wrote:In Carmarthenshire the authorities teach the kids to ride further in.

Yes, good old Cycling Proficiency and then parents like me (who clearly know nothing (doesnt even have a helmet)) come and undo all their hard work.

Well, that's different. :wink:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Vorpal wrote:But at least if the parents were trained, they wouldn't actively undo the good that training does for their children.

The number of times, I've seen or heard a parent telling a child to ride closer to the side...

Which is why I agreed up to a point.

Of course, in that potentially large number of cases where the parents are happy to have nothing to do with their kids' cycling progress beyond it errr, "keeping them off the streets" ( :? ) that's not much of an issue.

Overall it would be good if the parents could come and participate but I don't think we should write off our own efforts as being of limited value if they aren't.

meic wrote:then parents like me (who clearly know nothing (doesnt even have a helmet))

I've gone one better with being irresponsible... I'm a cycle trainer accredited to teach trainers as well as kids, but my kids' school won't have anything to do with me on account of my lack of helmet. Much better to press ahead with training while ignoring the recommended instruction ratios than to have loons like me involved... (sigh)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...