Councils Pulling out Bikeability

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Legume

Councils Pulling out Bikeability

Post by Legume »

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me where I can look for data on councils running Bikeability. The last bit of info I had on councils taking up Bikeability was 74% around the country.
I have recently heard that more councils are pulling out of Bikeability and going back to CP. Is this true or a bit of misinformation?

Thank you.
milly

Re: Councils Pulling out Bikeability

Post by milly »

Our council would not entertain Bikeability and the road saftey dept. teaches across the county using National standard Instructors
It works very well
fishheads eat them up yum
meic

Post by meic »

Carmarthenshire (just South of Llandewi-brefi in Ceredigion) doesnt do bikeability either.

and cyclists are just as rare a sight here as they are there. :cry:
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Most councils in England that offer training, provide training to National Standards, though not all are identified as Bikeability schemes. The known exceptions are Kent and Norfolk which offer training that is more like CP than Bikeability and certainly not to National Standards.

I haven't heard of any councils 'pulling out' of Bikeability, but it's possible that some have simply not registered their schemes under the latest organisation. That doesn't mean the training won't be to National Standards.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

I think KCC might have gone back to Bikeability. http://www.kent.gov.uk/roads_and_transp ... ining.aspx

There's a thread on the Helmets Sub-Forum that Vorpal started and I contributed to, that featured a link to KCC's "Wear a Helmet or Die!"* video.

The link to the video doesn't work anmore and I can't find the video on KCC's youtube page. My link to KCC's cycle training policy now goes to the above Bikeability related information rather than the KCC info I quoted at the time.

* My descriptive summary, not theirs.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

meic wrote:Carmarthenshire (just South of Llandewi-brefi in Ceredigion) doesnt do bikeability either.

and cyclists are just as rare a sight here as they are there. :cry:

Only cyclist in the village? :roll:
milly

Post by milly »

Nope theres load heres and a lot cycle through. :D
regards
Milly
fishheads eat them up yum