Bikeability Providers

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Legume

Bikeability Providers

Post by Legume »

Hi, Is it still the case that a National Standard Instructor can only deliver Bikeability if they are a member of a Bikeability Provider Group?
Bikeability web sites says yes and I have always thought this the case. I had heard this had changed but I cannot find any details which makes me think I have been misinformed. Has anything changed?

Thank you.
Vorpal

Re: Bikeability Providers

Post by Vorpal »

The system has changed a little, just in the last year or so.

Instructors must be part of an Instructor Training Organisation (ITO).

There are a number of (more or less) regionally based ITOs, British Cycling, and the CTC. Instructors don't need to belong to their regional or local ITO; they may belong to any, or several. But they do need to belong to an ITO. Some ITOs include insurance in membership, others require separate insurance. Some local authorities are part of their regional ITO and cover membership for their instructors.

The Bikeability Providers are the folks who teach Bikeability, and can register as indpendent providers, or can be employed by a provider.

Some work both ways, depending upon the situation or local authority.

I hope that helps.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Legume

Post by Legume »

Thank you Vorpal,

Just was not sure about NSI’s teaching Bikeability. Now you have cleared this up for me.

1. National Standard Instructor (NSI) have to be members of ITO’s to deliver the National Standard Cycle Training.

2. Bikeability (NSI) Instructor has to be a member of a Bikeability Providers to deliver Bikeability.

Thank you very much for your help.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Yes, that is basically correct. In order to deliver Bikeability, one needs three things:
-certification as an instructor (NSI number)
-membership in an ITO
-registration as a provider, or employment with a provider

Registering as a Bikeability provider isn't very difficult. If you are interested, PM me & I will send you some information.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
namder

Post by namder »

I don't think Legume has it quite right.

1. National Standard Instructor (NSI) have to be members of ITO’s to deliver the National Standard Cycle Training.

2. Bikeability (NSI) Instructor has to be a member of a Bikeability Providers to deliver Bikeability.

NSI's do not have to be members of an ITO to deliver National Standards Cycle Training but have to be members of an ITO to deliver Bikeability.