Really silly person

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
big-fella1956

Really silly person

Post by big-fella1956 »

Has anyone encontered such a silly person (polite version) ?

I was tutoring a well behaved group of 10/11 year olds, we were at a cross roads.
A lady, somewhere between 60 and 70 came up, interrupting the session, back as straight as a rod and in a loud (posh) voice says

'What are these children doing riding their bikes on the road ? '

Well, you could have heard a pin drop, the kiddies looked at me, I looked at them, the kiddies looked at me again with questioning eyes.

I said to the lady, 'the children are learning to ride on the road'

Lady. It is too dangerous!

Me. Why's that ?

Lady. The cars are going too fast.

Me. That's why we have Bikeability' to teach how to ride safely.

Lady. These children are far too young!

Me. And what would be the best age? between 60 and 70 perhaps?

Lady. Thats beside the point!

Me. Would you like to join and see for yourself the benefits of bikeability?

Lady. Don't be so riddiculos! (kiddies were by this time laughing with tears streaming down their faces)

Me. Excuse me, but I have children to look after and you are hindering me from doing my job.

Lady. I want to complain, give me your details, I am going to complain to the person in charge.

Me. (I gave her my business card) Please call after 18:00hrs. :D

18:00hrs I received a phone call from a lady complaining about being laughed at by a group of poorly behaved children riding their bikes on the road.
when I managed to get a word in sideways, and explained who the person in charge is, she hung -up.

Nowt stranger as folk!
jezer

Re: Really silly person

Post by jezer »

Ignore the silly women. There are a few of them about :shock:
Power to the pedals
mountain-nic

Post by mountain-nic »

I did have a driver attempt to overtake a right turning trainee, until I stopped her. When questioned she explained she was "in a hurry" and besides "I had my indicator on!" Stern words and a brief explanation of the rules of the road followed. Funny as she drove off, after my trainee had completed their turn safely, I noted the "Slow child on board" sticker in her rear window!
big-fella1956

Post by big-fella1956 »

mountain-nic wrote:I did have a driver attempt to overtake a right turning trainee, until I stopped her. When questioned she explained she was "in a hurry" and besides "I had my indicator on!" Stern words and a brief explanation of the rules of the road followed. Funny as she drove off, after my trainee had completed their turn safely, I noted the "Slow child on board" sticker in her rear window!

Yes, I have also had the pleasure of such thoughless individuals. Some people really do switch their brains off when getting into a vehicle!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mountain-nic wrote:I did have a driver attempt to overtake a right turning trainee, until I stopped her. When questioned she explained she was "in a hurry" and besides "I had my indicator on!" Stern words and a brief explanation of the rules of the road followed. Funny as she drove off, after my trainee had completed their turn safely, I noted the "Slow child on board" sticker in her rear window!

Like mother like whelp: if her child is slow then maybe she is too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

big-fella1956 wrote:

Some people really do switch their brains off when getting into a vehicle!

What use would you have for one of them when you are in control of a machine, eh? Cars are designed to make our lives easier, they can do all the thinking :D
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

There is always the odd dope about!
For every person who has complained that we shouldn't risk children by taking them on the road,I can think of twenty who say what a good job we are doing.
With regard to the odd 'idiot' driver, we usually get motorists giving way in an unrealistic way & then we have to explain to the trainees that when they get out on the road on their own,they will not get such generous treatment!
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I think I've met her. My 7-year old lad was riding down Sunninghill high street, a 20mph zone. Old lady overtook, pulled her car alongside into the oncoming lane, hazard lights on, and told him to ride on the pavement. I caught up and asked what was going on, when she told me I was so wound up I couldn't even think of a (polite) reply. Suggestions for a response please ...