Overtaking

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Punk_shore

Overtaking

Post by Punk_shore »

I have noticed that the standard of overtaking in motorised traffic is generally poor. Even when I was shown an approved procedure by an Advanced Motorcyclist, there were circumstances where a problem could occur.

Having no recollection of being taught how to overtake when learning to drive/ ride (including Cycling Proficiency), I wonder if cycle training should include such education?

The sort of scenario is a two-lane road, with a slow-moving vehicle ahead of the cycle trainee and another vehicle oncoming at a reasonable speed. The positions can be rotated so that one trainee experiences each of the 3 component vehicles.
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
Vorpal

Re: Overtaking

Post by Vorpal »

It is taught. Bikeability training can only include scenarios that actually occur during training sessions, however, trainees are taught to pass parked cars during Bikeability level 2. If no handy slow-moving vehicles happen during training (not common) trainees should be told that slow moving vehicles are passed/overtaken in the same manner as parked cars, allowing for additional time to get past them.

Filtering is addressed at Bikeability Level 3.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

I can see your point, Vorpal. However, the overtaking might not include an opposing vehicle to give a "time gap". The filtering might not be on the offside of the traffic.
You have the advantage over me as I am only a "Cycling for all" helper and do not know the road syllabus.
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bikeability is usually taught in groups. Taking a group, one at a time, around a parked car so that they can learn to do it according to the book, one or more of the trainees usually have to deal with traffic in either or both directions. Even if not all trainees have to, they can learn from watching their fellows and/or analysing how they handle the situation.

That is one of the points of on-road training. When trainees are taught individually, it is a little easier to seek out situations that will provide opportunities to learn overtaking and the art of negotiating for road space.

Outside of the 'rules' for filtering, it is largely up to the instructor & availability of appropriate situations how it is taught. It is difficult to filter or plan filtering with a student cyclist along in any case, so much of it is down to helping a student gain the experience to make appropriate judgements for him/herself and emphasizing the basics of filtering (i.e. don't filter left of large vehicles, ensure that you can get to the front before the lights change if you are filtering to reach an ASL, etc.).

An instructor who is also an experienced cyclist (unfortunately, not all are) can impart personal experience and wisdom.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom