Cycle Maintence Training - Beginners and Beyond!

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
CALEL

Cycle Maintence Training - Beginners and Beyond!

Post by CALEL »

Hi everyone,

Over the past year or so I've become very enthusiastic about riding my bike(s) but I've neglected the mechanical side of things and would like to rectify that so I can better maintain them myself. Unfortunately I don't feel confident enough to work through a maintence book by myself yet but I do have one. I think what I'm looking for is something that I can attend, a course of some kind that will run me through what I need to do with brakes, gears (indexing etc) and general fixing jobs etc. I don't want to pay a fortune for it and would like to be able to be come comfortable servicing my own bikes so that I don't have to rely on the help of others or the bike shop. I have a collection of items I'd like to be able to cope with such as hub gears (and how to change puntures without disrupting the hub set up), hub brakes (again puncture changes with these in place) normal gears indexing and changing shifters amongst a variety of other things.

So, I thought where better to ask than on this forum. The combined knowledge on here must be emense so could anyone offer any advice or suggest any potential courses etc that would be useful for me. I'm in the North of England, Leeds in fact so something local would be preferable. Any help you can suggest would be appreciated.

Cheers everyone, CALEL :o
Mr.Benton

Re: Cycle Maintence Training - Beginners and Beyond!

Post by Mr.Benton »

York night school ran one a couple of years ago which I attended, it was for 4 nights and we covered everything from puncture repair, routine maintenance, brakes, gears, wheel trueing, wheel bearing adjustment. it was fairly hands on and I learnt a lot from it.

I think this is the link to the course I did but can't be sure,
http://york.floodlight.co.uk/york/cours ... omain.html
CALEL

Post by CALEL »

Thanks Mr Benton, appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much information regarding what they cover but I'm sure a quick call to the college should sort that out.

Cheers, CALEL :P
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Edinburgh Bike Co-Op in Chapel Allerton run full day courses for £49. There are dates of 21st and 27th November listed here... http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... enance.htm (I think they mean 28th as it's usually Sundays) The courses in October booked up quickly. Best ringing them or calling in for availability.

Graham
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Many of the companies who deliver Bikeability training would be willing to do something for you. I work for a county council, and we got our training providers to set up a one-day course on basic maintenance for us. My boss, who was not a practical chap at all attended; he now works with me doing bike clinics at local schools and is really confident. What is needed after the course is plenty of practice. Good luck.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
CALEL

Post by CALEL »

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone,

I've checked some of these out and fired off a couple of emails for further information. If anyone has any additional advice it'll be gratefully received.

Cheers, CALEL :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There have been a few threads in the past on this topic. Try searching on 'cycle maintenance repair training' and 'bike mechanic course'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Alicej a forum member wrote about Pedallers who are in Leeds. They are a charity who do maintenance classes.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
CALEL

Post by CALEL »

Big thanks Edwards, this looks ideal and deserves people's support. Being inexperienced I am particularly drawn to it for the learning support group and help environment that I think it will offer me. I am very interested in this project and intend to visit to take a look around for myself. Thanks again for everyones input, help and advice it is appreciated.

Cheers, CALEL :P
pedal-pusher

Post by pedal-pusher »

I am also looking for a similar course but based in the Midlands, Im nr Coventry but can travel reasonable distance. Any help much appreciated :D
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/VickyandPhil
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

pedal-pusher wrote:I am also looking for a similar course but based in the Midlands, Im nr Coventry but can travel reasonable distance. Any help much appreciated

Not so much a course but if you were to come here I can show you everything you want to know. This includes taking my bikes apart then reassembling and adjusting.
Alternatively if you bring your own you can use that. The only cost would be parts used.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I learned how to do everything off YouTube. It's all there. If you have an Android mobile you can watch it in the shed
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

I learned how to do everything off YouTube. It's all there. If you have an Android mobile you can watch it in the shed

Given that I haven't found anything local (Worcestershire) ... what/where would I look or is it a basic youtube/google for e.g. replace bottom bracket etc.?

Martin
alicej

Post by alicej »

Edwards wrote:Alicej a forum member wrote about Pedallers who are in Leeds. They are a charity who do maintenance classes.

Ooh yes, check out the Pedallers if you're in Leeds! You can bring your own bike and they'll teach you to do whatever you want on it, or you can play with the spare wheels and odd bikes they have there.

You only pay the membership fee (£25 per year) plus very reasonable prices for any parts you need, and rather than running courses they just teach you whatever you want to learn. Oh, and sometimes they have cake :D

I'm planning to go tonight to learn to fix a rear spoke (haven't broken one yet but I want to learn to fix it if I do!).
PW

Post by PW »

Check out local Green groups. If you live in a "Transition Town" there's a fair chance they'll be running something.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!