Recumbent Cyclist - Can I be an Instructor

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Recumbent Cyclist - Can I be an Instructor

Post by [XAP]Bob »

John Holiday wrote:Yes,with regard to realistic on-road cycling situations, we are often conscious that passing motorists will treat a group of trainees with considerable caution to the point where they will give way un-necessarily, & we have to explain the them that when they are cycling on their own, this is most unlikely to happen!

We shouldn't have to say that...
My time in Finland has brought me a new found disgust for UK drivers.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Post by byegad »

As a recumbent only rider I still turn my head where a DF rider would look back. I can't turn my head anywhere far enough to actually see behind but the turn of the head makes it appear to drivers that you have done so. In actual fact my fixed mirrors and glasses mounted mirror allow me to see far more behind me than a DF rider can manage while still looking where they are going.

So if training a group all you need to do is the turn of the head without 'giving away' that in fact you are using your mirrors.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
mr_cellophane

Post by mr_cellophane »

If you are training a group, half of their learning is from watching you. You might be able to see them on a bent, but can they see you ?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Depends on the particular thing you're doing and who for.

When I took my training to be a trainer, for the last bit with 1 to 1 bike-buddying the chaps running it had asked me to bring a bike with derailleurs (I'd done the rest on a Brommie), and that was either my Streetmachine or digging the MTB out the back of a deep shed and doing a lot of work on it, so I took the 'bent.
I'd think for bike-buddying of kids it'd actually be good that you're not towering over them. But for something like general bike handling it ought to be something like the pupils are using.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Magpie656

Post by Magpie656 »

Did my CTA course a couple of weeks ago, I ride a Scorpian and also was not sure about using it for the course. So I took my Brompton. Now going on an other course but am getting a mountain bike for use on it and for training. Agree that trike is different to solo and don't think it's a good thing, kids may be to interested in it and not what they should be doing.