cycling down the Danube

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ajdd

cycling down the Danube

Post by ajdd »

We are cycling down the Danube from Passau to Metten in June. We have booked up our accommodation averaging 30 - 40 miles per day. Has anyone done this trip before and taken their own bikes and if so what is the best way to get our bikes to the start at Passau - is it best to take the car + ferry or plane + train. Any advice re this would be very much appreciated as we having trouble with the logistics of the trip. Also has anyone put their bikes on the boat for the return journey?
Vorpal

Re: cycling down the Danube

Post by Vorpal »

I have taken bikes on the train to Passau, and found it a good solution. Though, it was a few (15!?!) years ago, and I don't remember details, anymore.

There have been a few other threads about cycling the Danube, and trains at least mentioned...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89175
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89104
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=85339
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=62244

You might find more with a forum search on 'danube train' ro similar.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

We did Innsbruck - Linz - Vienna last year, flying to Munich with BA then train to Innsbruck (and flying back from Vienna). It worked well, train was quite crowded but no problem with the bike.

On my map, Passau - Metten seems to be less than 40 miles, a long way to go for a day ride, but maybe there's another Metten.
Brynglas

Post by Brynglas »

I'd be interested in hearing people's ideas about this trip. I looked at cycling the Danube with my wife and two children. The logistics of getting to the start and home from the finish point have caused me to rethink for now so we're doing a circular tour through Belgium and The Netherlands.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

We took our own bikes last year. Flew to Munich, cycled the 6-7 miles to Freising train station and train to Passau
Denneny

Post by Denneny »

I have booked a Danube trip for this september 2015 for myself and five others. Three are youths and the other three are in their 50s. We are flying Manchester munich the train to Passau ending in Vienna 5 or 6 days later. We are taking brompton with front bags only so I have a few questions which I hope will be answered when the book I've ordered arrives;

How many miles a day is it reasonable to cover? The ladies are decent cyclists but only ride a dozen times a year and usually off road.
Following on from above, can I take pot luck with accommodation or do I really need to book the whole trip in advance?
Should I change my slick (kojak) tyres for something a little more heavy duty?
Will we manage with just one bag each (ie do some of the accommodations have clothes washing facilities)?

For anyone looking to take this trip I found out a rather interesting money saver while at the OBB train desk yesterday. Single journey from munich airport to Passau is 44 euros. Single from vienna to munich airport is 97 euros. Once I declared I needed 6 tickets the total price came down by nearly half to just over 500 euros.

Singapore airlines from Manchester to munich return with 30kg allowance and no restriction on bikes like our favourite economy airlines worked out at £150 each. I'm trying to manage the whole one week trip for 350 to 400 per person so I think it's looking promising.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Denneny wrote:I have booked a Danube trip for this september 2015 for myself and five others. Three are youths and the other three are in their 50s. We are flying Manchester munich the train to Passau ending in Vienna 5 or 6 days later. We are taking brompton with front bags only so I have a few questions which I hope will be answered when the book I've ordered arrives;

How many miles a day is it reasonable to cover? The ladies are decent cyclists but only ride a dozen times a year and usually off road.
Following on from above, can I take pot luck with accommodation or do I really need to book the whole trip in advance?
Should I change my slick (kojak) tyres for something a little more heavy duty?
Will we manage with just one bag each (ie do some of the accommodations have clothes washing facilities)?

For anyone looking to take this trip I found out a rather interesting money saver while at the OBB train desk yesterday. Single journey from munich airport to Passau is 44 euros. Single from vienna to munich airport is 97 euros. Once I declared I needed 6 tickets the total price came down by nearly half to just over 500 euros.

Singapore airlines from Manchester to munich return with 30kg allowance and no restriction on bikes like our favourite economy airlines worked out at £150 each. I'm trying to manage the whole one week trip for 350 to 400 per person so I think it's looking promising.

The path from passau to Vienna is almost completely flat so distance isn't a problem for cyclist with basic fitness. I've done it twice with my children who don't cycle with no problems, youngest was 11.
The natural stops from passau are:
Schlogen
Linz
Grein
Melk
Tulln
Vienna

Passau to Schlogen is about 25 miles. There is a hotel on the loop or even better carry on 1-2 miles to Insell. After than there's not much until Aschach.

Don't miss Melk! And if you plan to stay I recommend the Goldender Stern (no personal interest other than one of my favourites). Ask for a room on the top floor at front for the view over the town.
The only hills are after Melk and I recommend taking the river boat from Melk to Spitze. Not to avoid the hills but it's a nice trip on the river and Spitze puts you within a day's ride of Tulln. From Spitze stay on the left bank through the Wachau. Durnstein is worth a visit.

Path quality is very good with a few gravel sections but normal tyres are fine.
I've always pre-booked as the route is very popular in summer but September should be much quieter.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It should be okay without booking in advance in September. Or you can see how it goes and book a day or two in advance en route.

However, I would call in advance to make sure there aren't any conferences or conventions at that time at one of your destinations. I've caught our by that sort of thing a couple of times.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom