Tips for the 'un-normal' cyclist!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bill Reynolds

Tips for the 'un-normal' cyclist!

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello, Now that all the talk has died down on my previous topic... I was gathering moss down the shed recently and thought of all the other many disabled people of one sort or another out there who did not know about how to make cycling more attractive via doing various things! So here is a progressive list of things and tip's to help you to enjoy cycling more....(I know a few things as I am a life-long cyclist... cycling before 'cycling' became a fashion statement) No doubt there will be the usual people popping up rubbishing what I say but please ignore them and just try out what I suggest! TIP No. ONE...First of all invest in a high viz tabard with (if you like) the words "DISABLED CYCLIST" printed in black on the back. The first joy of this tip is that not only will you be more visible to motorists and warm on cold day's but you will be on firm ground if you get knocked off your cycle and the lump in the car claims he/she/it did not see you...the insurance claim is helped more with a tabard on!....more soon!
Manc33

Re: Tips for the 'un-normal' cyclist!

Post by Manc33 »

I've only been hit once by a car and it was at literally 3 MPH. I was coming around a roundabout and thought "She's gonna pull out, SHE'S GOING TO..." and she did. Some cars just don't give way to cyclists on roundabouts. These days I just get off and walk around it or go through the subway if there is one. I hate roundabouts when driving, let alone trying to negotiate one on something going 12-14 MPH. :shock:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I don't mind roundabouts but I learned to drive in Milton Keynes! :lol:

I don't agree with "hi viz" and refuse to live my life fearing the improbable worst.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Why would you call disabled people 'Un Normal' I find that highly offensive :(
It's 2015!
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sadly, it is a common term, based on the "norms" of physical abilities that many standards organisations use which easily leave people obstructed by devices and things which conform to standards.

Both "disabled" and "handicapped" have their fans and users too, but are also negative, defining people in terms of what they can't do. It matters less than how people are treated.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Bill, I'm not sure that your first tip is one that's specific to a cyclist who might happen to have some difficulty of some sort. I'm not knocking it, but all cyclists may (or may not) find it useful. Personally I don't use one, but I do try to make myself visible in other ways, none of which are connected to my difficulties.

However, I look forward to reading more tips, which may "speak" to me. Keep 'em coming.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

mjr wrote:Sadly, it is a common term, based on the "norms" of physical abilities that many standards organisations use which easily leave people obstructed by devices and things which conform to standards.

Both "disabled" and "handicapped" have their fans and users too, but are also negative, defining people in terms of what they can't do. It matters less than how people are treated.

Hence the time when "differently abled" was the fashion.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bill it's good to have you back. I for one am interested in making any community inclusive regardless of our hobbies, fallen off bits and non-working parts etc. I'm conscious of falling into the whole trap of being overly PC and making people who 'aren't normal' as you say, feel patronised. I'm well up for being taught a new trick or two.

I have been practicing for a few years on a client of mine who is physically very disabled but bright as a button. So long as I tease him as I would any other person; give him his independence and (this is the most difficult for me) leave him for a FULL minute after he has fallen over, I seem to get on ok. Teach Bill. Teach...b
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Bill it's good to have you back. I for one am interested in making any community inclusive regardless of our hobbies, fallen off bits and non-working parts etc. I'm conscious of falling into the whole trap of being overly PC and making people who 'aren't normal' as you say, feel patronised. I'm well up for being taught a new trick or two.

I have been practicing for a few years on a client of mine who is physically very disabled but bright as a button. So long as I tease him as I would any other person; give him his independence and (this is the most difficult for me) leave him for a FULL minute after he has fallen over, I seem to get on ok. Teach Bill. Teach...b

Just ask, HC.
Would you like some help, or shall I leave you to work it out for yourself?
No need to sit and count out the minute :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello fellow U.N. cyclists, The next tip is about the major stumbling block to enjoyable cycling...cycle saddles! Apart from profound deafness that started around 1961 or so my major problem is joint problems resulting from being knocked off my Yamaha decades ago. In 1975 a twit in a Austin Maxi ran into me hitting my right leg and made me fly through the air landing on my left hip...result, Arthritis in hips and a painful right 'sit-bone'!! A painful sit bone is made more painful by the lump of raw leather called a Brookes Saddle! So I had to use my imagination. I found a VERY wide saddle called...(wait for it!) the Fat buttock saddle (or other titles) on the internet. This is the 'platform' for what follows. You know those pillows you use to have a sleep with on a plane? You inflate the pillow a bit... (YOU work out how much) and make a cloth pouch to hold the air pillow. You then buy heavy duty Velcro, and 'stick' the pillow to the F.A. saddle towards the saddle rear. You then make a saddle cover to cover the lot! NOW, you have a air cushion to sit on... that holds you off the F.A. saddle surface...Result, comfort!....more gems to follow.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Vorpal wrote:Just ask, HC. :wink:

Absolutely right. I've got to get on top of my own issues. It's partly a cultural one, but sometimes my directness (which I view as open honesty) is too much for the polite. From experience it can embarrass people rather than make them feel comfortable that I'm saying things how they are. It's tricky to strike a balance as I'm not into BDing people or vice versa.

I've got work on my hands...b
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello 'Maxcherry', I can call people like myself 'un-normal' because that is what I am. If I was 'normal' I would not be writing this....and I would be enjoying cycling like a normal person...
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello U.N. Cyclists, If the previous tip was too much bother to you... (give me strength) and you still want to ride a bike...Here is the next tip. May I suggest a HOBSON nose-less seat?? This is a good idea from America and is a cycle saddle with two separate saddles...one each for both sit-bones!! It seems a bit strange at first riding this saddle but it has certain extra's that make it great. First there is a adjustment wheel to widen or narrow the central gap thus making YOUR sit-bones sit nicely on each seat. It also means your bum does not get hot like on your average gel topped saddle as there is a air gap there. The saddle make-up also means you don't get the problems you get with leather saddles such as 'numb bum'! The twin seats pivot up and down as your legs pump the pedals and I used a spirit level when attaching the saddle to my Dahon's seat post to get the saddles level. Give it a try!....or as my wife would say..."Nothing ventured...Nothing gained"....
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I'm following your tips about saddles with interest, Bill. Like you, I have arthritis in different joints, including one of my hips. For many years I didn't know, I just thought it was "ageing". With hindsight it started over 12 years ago.I swapped to recumbent riding (for the fun, not the pain relief) and so didn't need to find a saddle solution. But, I've now bought a Circe Morpheus tandem so that my partner can ride with me. I'm now back on an upright (for some of the time) and have to find the best saddle arrangement. Hence my interest.

Now, here's a tip of my own. I hope you don't mind me adding it to your thread.

The lack of mobility in my right hip doesn't allow me to lift my leg over the main frame tube of my recumbent, nor the step through frame of the tandem. Both are only about 50 cm off the ground. So, I've made a strap out of soft fabric, which can be closed into a loop with velcro. I wrap it round my leg, just above my knee. I can then lift the knee by hand, using the strap. Once I'm aboard, I can rip it open and put it in my pocket (or leave it on if I want to make a fashion statement !!). I reverse the process to dismount.
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

How strange Geoff...I had the same problem with my right leg. I had a Major Nicholls twin latte frame made to measure as I had problems with a cross bar but the 'lift-over' was still too high. Next came a Bob Jackson old style ladies frame with a 13" lift over(of my leg) which was alright but no good as I had asked for a 22" frame size but should of had a 18"....silly me!