Mark Beaumonts new touring Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
easyroller

Mark Beaumont's latest challenge bike

Post by easyroller »

Photos and info on Mark's bike for his 10,609km record challenge riding Cairo to Cape Town.

Looks like a bit of a weapon! A massive change (upgrade? you decide) from his Alu frame, Rohloff hub around-the-world bike, this one is a full carbon framset with disc brakes and top of the racing line electronic Dura Ace Di2 groupset. Sexy luggage options too.
geocycle

Re: Mark Beaumont's latest challenge bike

Post by geocycle »

Very brave choice. There's no built in redundancy there. Good luck to him but could go badly wrong unless he has a support team.
PH

Post by PH »

Very different to Mark's RTW bike, but not a lot different to current RTW record holder Mike Hall's bike
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

He was on the Fred MacAulay show on Radio Scotland a couple of days ago talking about this trip, you can listen to his interview here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053bv1x
Basically he said that he is travelling light to get the miles in to bring the record below 50 days, and also he hopes to stay with local people most nights so needs less luggage.
bikercolin

Mark Beaumonts new touring Bike

Post by bikercolin »

Is the future or touring bike packing on a light carbon frame, with electric gearing
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
reohn2

Re: Mark Beaumonts new touring Bike

Post by reohn2 »

No,it's what some people may choose to do,but it'll be a small minority.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no that's a (london) city gents version who has every thing so must have the most withit and costly bike to ride to the bank or finance brokeridge in the city
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Mark is trying to break a record....most of us aren't.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I like the choice of hand positions, but the small bags would do my head in. My knees would brush that daft thing dangling from the top tube, and the bag under the saddle would take my sandwiches, an apple, a waterproof and not much else. I would not call it a touring bike until the rack was on it.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94769

A thread with a bigger pic and more detailed discussion...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Cairo to Cape Town with Di2? Dynohub, solar panel or charging every night?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

bikercolin wrote:Is the future or touring bike packing on a light carbon frame, with electric gearing
image.jpg

I hope not.
That thing is a bloomin eye sore.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Its a one shot wonder. If it lasts the distance it will have been the ideal set up for breaking a record. But, if something goes wrong, and it might well do with those components, it will be game over. I can understand this sort of rig for bikepacking trips where getting the load high has some advantages.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I have a cousin in Norway who has just take a Di2 setup throughw an ice and snow laden Norwegian Winter.

It's been doused in slush and ice up over the bottom bracket and still shifts 22 gears like it was brand new!!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

RogerThat wrote:I have a cousin in Norway who has just take a Di2 setup throughw an ice and snow laden Norwegian Winter.

It's been doused in slush and ice up over the bottom bracket and still shifts 22 gears like it was brand new!!

Yes, one advantage of Di2, in very poor conditions it can perform better than cables and need less maintenance.