Pedal Extenders

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
smuggers

Pedal Extenders

Post by smuggers »

I've just ordered some Bg Specialized, pedal extenders & was wondering if anybody else has had success with these ? I have broad feet & high arches that collapse under load. I also ride toe out with both feet & have problems with heel rub on my right chain stay. I have had a bike fit for my bikes, cleat wedges fitted & I'm currently waiting for some custom orthotics from the NHS. I managed to do a good year commuting to work on clipless pedals, with the occasional 60 miler at the weekend.. I started to get medial knee pain in my right knee & had to take some time off the bike. I'm now thinking of saving up, to go and see somebody else about my bio-mechanical problems & was also wondering if anybody could recommend somebody good in the Lancashire/Manchester area ? I spent quite a bit on the previous bike fit and now find myself no nearer to solving my knee problem.. Money is also tight at the moment & I dont think my wife would be best pleased about me spending another £150 - £200 on another bike fitting & cleat wedging.. I've started doing some hill walking & stretching, to get some strength & mobility back into my legs.. Just spinning on the turbo with flat pedals at the moment as I'm now back off the bike again for the commute to work.. Really getting me down not being able to ride more regularly.. Thanks for reading if you made it this far..

Kind Regards..

Smuggers.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
gaz

Re: Pedal Extenders

Post by gaz »

They get a mention on here from time to time, aka kneesavers.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

They work for me, I've got them (BG, Kneesavers and Sunlite) on all of my bikes with spd pedals now due to toe-out condition. I also found lowering my gearing and increasing cadence beneficial.

More info here: http://www.kneesaver.net/
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Due to knee deformity my wife uses these and they have been brilliant
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I'm just getting over an episode of collapsing arches. Gave me really quite painful "metatarsalgia".
No surprise, the medics were hopeless. GP gave me enough Brufen to upset my digestion....the stuff that's meant to protect your digestion worked for a while, then it was awful. Still waiting for a podiatrist appointment.
In the end, my brother diagnosed me over the phone, due to many years experience fitting ski boots. I looked on the internet for exercises to strengthen the arches, found this woman..http://www.drserbinski.ca/blog/rehab-for-over-pronation...watch the video, its priceless. I still don't know anybody who can do that with their feet, but my feet don't hurt now!
I also spoke to a physio. I ride with. Try this.....stand with your feet parallel, not turned out or in. Tilt your pelvis back by tensing your abdominal muscles to raise your pubic bone, and clenching your bum to tuck it under. Do this in your shorts, and if you are doing it right you will see your knees rotate outwards, due to the way your hips articulate. When your knees rotate outwards, you can stand on the outside of your foot rather than the inside, and then you have a chance of raising your arches as in the video.
When my feet were really painful (eg from standing) a brisk 10 minute walk would stop them hurting......that is the time to do the exercises, when the muscles have "woken up".
One of the bike-fitting sites says your knees are "the prisoner" of any problems with hips, ankles, or feet.......in other words, any problem forces the knee to articulate in a way it would rather not do.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

The knee savers are good, but not a long term solution.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I have/had plantar fasciitis. Doc gave me brufen, said that I could have some sort of injection, didn't like the sound of that. I did some research and fitted some arch supports in my shoes, orthaheel, and superfeet. I've never had any pain since.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

gaz wrote:They get a mention on here from time to time, aka kneesavers.

Thanks Gaz.. Never knew they were called Kneesavers also.. Shall have a browse on the forum thanks. :-)

Erudin wrote:They work for me, I've got them (BG, Kneesavers and Sunlite) on all of my bikes with spd pedals now due to toe-out condition. I also found lowering my gearing and increasing cadence beneficial.

More info here: http://www.kneesaver.net/

Thanks Erudin.. Glad the extenders have helped.. I'm going to concentrate on increasing my cadence on the turbo.. I just dont have the strength in my knees the same, now I'm getting older.

531colin wrote:I'm just getting over an episode of collapsing arches. Gave me really quite painful "metatarsalgia".
No surprise, the medics were hopeless. GP gave me enough Brufen to upset my digestion....the stuff that's meant to protect your digestion worked for a while, then it was awful. Still waiting for a podiatrist appointment.
In the end, my brother diagnosed me over the phone, due to many years experience fitting ski boots. I looked on the internet for exercises to strengthen the arches, found this woman..http://www.drserbinski.ca/blog/rehab-for-over-pronation...watch the video, its priceless. I still don't know anybody who can do that with their feet, but my feet don't hurt now!
I also spoke to a physio. I ride with. Try this.....stand with your feet parallel, not turned out or in. Tilt your pelvis back by tensing your abdominal muscles to raise your pubic bone, and clenching your bum to tuck it under. Do this in your shorts, and if you are doing it right you will see your knees rotate outwards, due to the way your hips articulate. When your knees rotate outwards, you can stand on the outside of your foot rather than the inside, and then you have a chance of raising your arches as in the video.
When my feet were really painful (eg from standing) a brisk 10 minute walk would stop them hurting......that is the time to do the exercises, when the muscles have "woken up".
One of the bike-fitting sites says your knees are "the prisoner" of any problems with hips, ankles, or feet.......in other words, any problem forces the knee to articulate in a way it would rather not do.

Thanks for the info Colin.. Going to try the exercises later.. Seems you have a very good understanding of biomechanics of the feet? I also have hip problems & know I have to correct my feet if I'm going to cycle for any distance pain free.. I'm a very big pronator & find now I'm getting older, my body just isn't strong enough to compensate for the strain exerted on my knees & hips any more.

Neilo wrote:I have/had plantar fasciitis. Doc gave me brufen, said that I could have some sort of injection, didn't like the sound of that. I did some research and fitted some arch supports in my shoes, orthaheel, and superfeet. I've never had any pain since.

Neil

Thanks Neilo.. Plantar Fascitis is very painful.. I have seen those superfeet orthotics..Which ones did you go for & do you have quite high arches? Which shoes & pedals do you use also? I think I've tried more or less every combination going.. I have a couple of pairs of Specialized BG mtb shoes & Mtb spd pedals at the moment.. Have thought about trying some Shimano DX M647 Pedals, which have a bigger platform and might give more stability to my foot..

Thanks for all the other replies also, I didn't expect to receive many replys, so thanks to you all..

Kind Regards..

Smuggers..
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Smuggers....I have some (Scholl?) insoles somewhere, with 3 pairs of inserts for different arch height....you can have them if you PM me your address, I'll not need them.
I only had a couple of months pain (swelling, numb toes) from collapsed arches, but even so at 67 I found it very quick to re-habilitate. I can't think there is anything to lose by trying.
My "understanding" of foot mechanics is very rudimentary and very recent. I think if you pronate, then your weight is on the inside of your foot and you can't maintain an arch. If you can get some weight on the outside of your foot (is that supinate?), and you can "wake up" the muscles responsible for maintaining the arch, then you are in with a chance of re-habilitating, but I guess the longer you have had the problem, the longer recovery will take. My friendly physio. suggested I do the exercises after a walk, as a walk got me pain free, the muscles were then apparently working.....she also told me to do the pelvis tilt/knee rotation thing as I tried the foot exercises.
I'm afraid I don't have too much faith in insoles and wedges.
As an aside, I think the ratchet fastening on my cycle shoes (like a ski boot) didn't help me much......I now make sure my feet have wriggle room.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

531colin wrote:Smuggers....I have some (Scholl?) insoles somewhere, with 3 pairs of inserts for different arch height....you can have them if you PM me your address, I'll not need them.
I only had a couple of months pain (swelling, numb toes) from collapsed arches, but even so at 67 I found it very quick to re-habilitate. I can't think there is anything to lose by trying.
My "understanding" of foot mechanics is very rudimentary and very recent. I think if you pronate, then your weight is on the inside of your foot and you can't maintain an arch. If you can get some weight on the outside of your foot (is that supinate?), and you can "wake up" the muscles responsible for maintaining the arch, then you are in with a chance of re-habilitating, but I guess the longer you have had the problem, the longer recovery will take. My friendly physio. suggested I do the exercises after a walk, as a walk got me pain free, the muscles were then apparently working.....she also told me to do the pelvis tilt/knee rotation thing as I tried the foot exercises.
I'm afraid I don't have too much faith in insoles and wedges.
As an aside, I think the ratchet fastening on my cycle shoes (like a ski boot) didn't help me much......I now make sure my feet have wriggle room.

That's really very kind of you Colin.. I'm touched, that somebody would actually do that for me.. I'm definitely going to follow the exercises on the videos for my feet & the pelvis tilt/knee rotation thing.. Yes my feet roll in on the inside & it's become more of a problem with injuries & age.. Thanks again for offering to send those insoles & inserts..I will PM you my address..

Kind Regards..

Smuggers..
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

smuggers wrote:
Thanks Neilo.. Plantar Fascitis is very painful.. I have seen those superfeet orthotics..Which ones did you go for & do you have quite high arches? Which shoes & pedals do you use also? I think I've tried more or less every combination going.. I have a couple of pairs of Specialized BG mtb shoes & Mtb spd pedals at the moment.. Have thought about trying some Shimano DX M647 Pedals, which have a bigger platform and might give more stability to my foot...

I use the superfeet green in my walking/mountaineering boots, and orthaheel sport
http://www.boots.com/en/Orthaheel-Sports-Medium-Size-7-8-1-Pair_9205/
in my other shoes, apart from my cycling shoes, just never got round to it. My cycling shoes are lidl specials, They seem to be a wider fit than other cycling shoes that I have tried.
I use m520 pedals on my tourer, road bike and trike, and m647 pedals on my MTB, I think they do provide some more support, which I like for off road, and stops the occasional numb spot I get with the m520s.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
MGate

Post by MGate »

+1 for super feet green. I use 'Bebop' pedals - 20 degrees of float - nice for knees!

Mick