Sudden Lower Back Pain?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Audax67

Re: Sudden Lower Back Pain?

Post by Audax67 »

Birdonnabike wrote:Dr today confirmed my own internet diagnosis :wink: It's just muscular and she said she could feel a bit of inflammation but it's nothing sinister - also advised that they used to tell people to rest up but now they recommend you rest the first day, use heat (hot water bottles - which I did), Voltarol and then just get back on with things. She said I probably got the worst of the swelling to go down pretty quickly as I did all the right things, and so it will be less likely to spasm, as it has in the past. She also said to stick with the Voltarol as it's only what she'd prescribe anyway!

Some brilliant and useful advice here. I will work on my core because I think this will recur if I don't - am also going to check the saddle is level and work from there only re-adjusting if the back pain returns. Will also be increasing the height of my handlebars, tomorrow. Have done two 14 mile rides since, with no problems.

The difference in leg length might be a factor, as well as I've sort of noticed that for myself, only recently, and not given it much thought.

Does this mean I can never ride a bike with drops, then? I was just starting to lust after one... :D

Glad it's only muscular. Re leg length inequality, it possibly exacerbates problems when they occur but if it's not excessive I doubt that it would cause them. I get along fine with an 11mm difference.

Re the drops, once you're better I reckon you'd be OK. Nobody spends a day down on them, not even TdF riders, and they do make one pleasingly nippy on the downhills. Even if you do find them uncomfortable you can easily swap them for bullhorn bars: the brakes/gear levers will work perfectly - you wouldn't even have to change the cables.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

samsbike wrote:Just to add to this. I recently changed saddles and on the newer one, I seem to get back pain. However, I am wondering if this is because I sit differently on each saddle and need the newer saddle further forward. I am pushing it slightly forward to see if it helps.

To find the equivalent position of one saddle wrt another, SMP recommend matching up the flare of a new saddle to that of the old one rather than measuring bars-to-nose. You lay the new saddle upside-down on top of the existing one (before removing it from the bike) and slide it back & forth until the tapers match. Then you mark the rails on the new one at the corresponding position of the seatpost clamp. See here for the SMP procedure, under Addendum.

I usually have a couple of spare seatposts, so that when I get a new saddle I remove the old one with its seatpost. That way I can easily swap back if the new saddle isn't right.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Birdonnabike
Glad you're on the mend and back riding again,(sorry if I gave you kittens)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Glad you're on the mend.

I find yoga to be extremely helpful in building core strength. :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom