Bad riding posture?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlanD

Bad riding posture?

Post by AlanD »

Or is it bad bike setup?
In an episode of The Bike Show (has the series finished?) a few weeks ago, there was an article of setting up a bike's riding position. This set me thinking.
For some time now, when riding my road bike, I would start to get backache after about an hour. also my hands would hurt.
Some time back now, I replaced the quill stem with another that brought the handlebar about 4cm closer. That was a bit more comfortable, but never completely solved the problem.
What I think happens is that I start to ride with my lower back tucked in, but before very long, it's curved i.e. slouched like when you sit on a low sofa.
So turning to the bike adjustment, I think that I have the saddle height right, knee slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
But checking with a length of weighted string around the front of my knee when the cranks are horizontal, as in the programme, I saw that the line was about 3cm in front of the pedal spindle.
I want to make my posture more comfortable, but surely if I move the saddle back, then that will worsen the curve in my back and cause me to put more weight on my hands?
I took a look in my Haynes Bike Book, but it was not too helpful. What I did do though was raise the stem by 1cm. Yet to try it though.
So is it bad bike adjustment, or poor posture. Do I pay out for a bike fitting, or see my GP?
Thoughts anyone?
531colin

Re: Bad riding posture?

Post by 531colin »

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74985

Set KOPS to take the excess weight off your hands......everything else will follow.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The tilt of the saddle can alleviate/contribute a bit how much weight is on your hands?
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi,

Consider having the pedals level and rising barely above the seat,
and then balancing yourself so there is no weight on you hands,
for your typical hand position. Then sit back down.

If you move forward to sit back down your seat needs to go back, if
you move backward to sit back down your seat needs to go forward.

Of course varying the front will affect the result, and generally
set seat hieght, KOPS, and then set front hieght and reach
rather than moving the saddle, but sometimes your stuck
with limited front adjustment, so then ignore KOPS.

rgds, sreten.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I just posted elsewhere about my recent bike fit. The process seemed to me to be partly about getting a stable centre of gravity. During my fitting process the saddle was moved further and further back until I reached the point where I could take my hands off the handle bars whilst pedalling and my cadence/body position didn't change.

So you might find the answer is not to move your hands forward but to move your bum backwards.

At no time during my fit did we assess kops.

Oh yes. As your saddle goes back you will need to lower it to keep the line from your hip joint to the pedal axle the same length.
mjr

Post by mjr »

(The bike show took a week off while European football was shown, but is back on tonight.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

mjr wrote:(The bike show took a week off while European football was shown, but is back on tonight.)

Drat! I missed it :(
Well my Tuesday ride went reasonably well. A slightly more upright position and although there was still pain in the back at my destination, it was not so intense. After setting off, my saddle worked itself loose. So stopping to tighten it, I ended up with the front feeling as though it was pointing downwards and that I was going to slide off it, even though it looked horizontal. Well I was in a rush so did not readjust. Soon got used to it and I think this contributed to my keeping a straighter back.
I'll keep experimenting.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

freeflow wrote:I just posted elsewhere about my recent bike fit. The process seemed to me to be partly about getting a stable centre of gravity. During my fitting process the saddle was moved further and further back until I reached the point where I could take my hands off the handle bars whilst pedalling and my cadence/body position didn't change.

So you might find the answer is not to move your hands forward but to move your bum backwards.

At no time during my fit did we assess kops.

Oh yes. As your saddle goes back you will need to lower it to keep the line from your hip joint to the pedal axle the same length.

Yup, all sounds familiar... but just out of interest how far do you think you are from KOPS right now?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Quite a ways away I think. Not the prettiest photo but this is one I took to give Mr Burls an idea of how I'm currently sitting on my bike. I would warn people who are easily offended or of a weak disposition that the image below is not for their consumption. My current position is the one which has the fizik arione as far back as it will go and the 130 mm stem. You might think I look upright but this positon is extremely extended compared to where I was. I think this photo shows that I will be nowhere near kops when at the 3pm/9pm position and that once I lose that gut an even more extended positon will be OK. The virtual top tube on that bike is 578 mm. Me and Mr Burls are getting to the postion where we agree a 71 degree angle seat tube is the way to get me a frame where I'll be able to get back to using my brooks/spa saddles.

-nowhere-near-kops-v2.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I dunno, it mightn't be so very far away, remember that the line drops from the front of the kneecap...

Most folk seem to end up less than a cm away from kops when they are set right; I've always viewed it -accidentally or otherwise- as being a pretty good starting point.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

freeflow wrote:Quite a ways away I think. Not the prettiest photo but this is one I took to give Mr Burls an idea of how I'm currently sitting on my bike. I would warn people who are easily offended or of a weak disposition that the image below is not for their consumption. My current position is the one which has the fizik arione as far back as it will go and the 130 mm stem. You might think I look upright but this positon is extremely extended compared to where I was. I think this photo shows that I will be nowhere near kops when at the 3pm/9pm position and that once I lose that gut an even more extended positon will be OK. The virtual top tube on that bike is 578 mm. Me and Mr Burls are getting to the postion where we agree a 71 degree angle seat tube is the way to get me a frame where I'll be able to get back to using my brooks/spa saddles.

-nowhere-near-kops-v2.jpg

I am just curious, are your arms locked out? I always thought there should be more of a bend in them.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

531colin wrote:Set KOPS to take the excess weight off your hands......everything else will follow.
KOPS has nothing to do with weight on your hands.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

samsbike wrote:I am just curious, are your arms locked out? I always thought there should be more of a bend in them.
Leaning on a wall will never show a realistic arm position.

KOPS - isn't that done with the cranks horizontal?
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

There's no right or wrong with a bike fit. Some interesting info...

http://www.bikepro.com.au/diy-bike-fitting
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Mick F wrote:
531colin wrote:Set KOPS to take the excess weight off your hands......everything else will follow.
KOPS has nothing to do with weight on your hands.

OP's saddle position puts him 3cm in front of KOPS. If he moves his saddle 3cm back it will take the weight off his hands .....and completely co-incidentally it will set him up at KOPS.
Everybody knows KOPS is a completely useless lie that has led whole generations of cyclists astray causing a catalogue of untold misery from backache to piles, sinusitis and plagues of frogs.