Racks for touring bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Yowsah

Racks for touring bike

Post by Yowsah »

I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker and am looking to buy front and rear racks. I like the racks by Surly but they are a bit expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions please.
Godlykepower

Re: Racks for touring bike

Post by Godlykepower »

I've got Tubus Cargo on my LHT at the back. If I ever need it, I'd fit a Tubus Tara low rider at the front.

I've got a Topeak Super Tourist rack that I took off to fit the Tubus, if you're interested? Excellent condition, just can't carry quite as much weight as the new one.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Godlykepower wrote:I'd fit a Tubus Tara low rider at the front.

Worth being aware that the main tube of the Tara is a larger bore than standard racks, and needs considering- with Ortlieb panniers it's too fat for them as standard. Along with the fact that I was using mounts I'd had brazed on, which didn't allow the top bar to sit quite level, I ended up having my front ortliebs bounce off several times, eventually getting ruined, and consigned to the hotel bin rather than packing them. Madame's which was at least level fared better, but still popped off the bottom a few times IIRC. Tried to get hold of the wider lower mounts while away, but couldn't, and anyway weren't sure they'd fit, being for the older design. When got money to replace, I am not sure if I'll stick to the Tara or try something else.
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I have literally just fitted a Topeak Super Tourist rack. I'm very happy with it. It'll be getting a packed pannier test on Wednesday :)
using hovercraft full of eels.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Forget the Tara get an Ergo low rider - the chap who wrecked his Ortlieb bags clearly hadn't got the top clips fitted properly, they really cannot detatch if they are closed. Unless you really need to carry a huge amount i'd go for the Logo rear rack over the Cargo but thats personal preference of having the weight lower on the bike.

Topeak racks are less easy to fit and heavier than Tubus so unless you have their top bag system you want to use i'd steer clear.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

foxyrider wrote:the chap who wrecked his Ortlieb bags clearly hadn't got the top clips fitted properly, they really cannot detatch if they are closed.

Oh yes they can.

I've had the same, using QL1 front rollers with the standard lower clip on a Tara rack.
It wasn't just a one off, but a regular unclip when riding on middling rough tracks, especially on steepish downhill when there's a lifting force on the front clip as the pannier tries to swing to the vertical.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

andrew_s wrote:
foxyrider wrote:the chap who wrecked his Ortlieb bags clearly hadn't got the top clips fitted properly, they really cannot detatch if they are closed.

Oh yes they can.

I've had the same, using QL1 front rollers with the standard lower clip on a Tara rack.
It wasn't just a one off, but a regular unclip when riding on middling rough tracks, especially on steepish downhill when there's a lifting force on the front clip as the pannier tries to swing to the vertical.

Perhaps you should have done as Tubus and Ortlieb suggest and fitted the oversize hooks? Don't blame the kit.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

The chap? I was only 2 posts up! Ah well...

Anyway, at first, the top clips were indeed secure, with the correct sized inserts, but the bottom clip was stretched over the tube, and there is flex in the top rail- the clips are maybe 1cm away from this, and being plastic, it flexes, and with flexing comes strain. And with flexing, the stretched bottom clip gets a chance to flip off, which it did... and again, and again. It was not a smooth ride. The top clips ended up slipping off (front ones IIRC), and then the whole thing fell off. Maybe having hit a spoke or few.

Please don't believe, or insist, that it cannot happen. All the clips, as you know, are plastic, and not particularly strong plastic. They can take some beating, but are not infallible. Remember that I did note that the top beam was not level, which presumably made the situation less than desirable.

You don't know the situation, you don't know the bike, and you certainly don't know me.

And also note that I started out by saying to be aware of the need for the oversize clips, which I didn't have, and as far as I am aware, are only available for the older model.

Make sense now?
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know if the clip design of QL2 is different but I've taken my Plus panniers over pretty rough stuff on both front & back racks (Topeak rear, Old Man Mountain front) without any problems.

Remember that there is always the belt-and-braces option with Ortliebs of adding another pair of clips to each bag so you have 4 on each bag (& it is still quick release - you just have to grab both handles at once).

IMG_7847_e (Small).jpg

I don't know if that is an option with other makes?

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have a 26" inch wheel Disc Trucker and I have a Tubus Cargo at the rear and Surly rack at the front. Both work well.

I tried a Tubus Duo low-rider (bought 2nd hand on here) but couldn't get this to fit with the disc brakes so went with the (much heavier) Surly front rack. I can't see you having any problems fitting a low-rider front rack to the LHT though.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

mrjemm wrote:
Godlykepower wrote:I'd fit a Tubus Tara low rider at the front.

Worth being aware that the main tube of the Tara is a larger bore than standard racks, and needs considering- with Ortlieb panniers it's too fat for them as standard. Along with the fact that I was using mounts I'd had brazed on, which didn't allow the top bar to sit quite level, I ended up having my front ortliebs bounce off several times, eventually getting ruined, and consigned to the hotel bin rather than packing them. Madame's which was at least level fared better, but still popped off the bottom a few times IIRC. Tried to get hold of the wider lower mounts while away, but couldn't, and anyway weren't sure they'd fit, being for the older design. When got money to replace, I am not sure if I'll stick to the Tara or try something else.

Load of rubbish Tubus racks were developed using Ortlieb panniers. Used that combination for the last 12 years and never had a problem.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

bikepacker wrote:Load of rubbish Tubus racks were developed using Ortlieb panniers. Used that combination for the last 12 years and never had a problem.

Bloomin'eck, this thread, or at least my post, has got some blood pressures up.

Bikepacker. The main tube of the Tara IS a larger bore than the standard tube. It is that much fatter that it bends the clip outwards, and the tube cannot go all the way in.

http://www.tubus.com/info.php?xn=16

That states the reason it is strong is because the main tube is 14mm, I can't find it now on the Ortlieb site, but there was a spare part that is specifically for fatter tubes, that I had not been aware of when setting off, and tried to source while away. Perhaps it was this: "Anchoring hook, 16 mm with lower rail, incl. mounting screws, from model ´96, Art.-Nr: e110 "

http://www.ortlieb.de/p-ersatz.php?sp=e ... l1&lang=en

Which is for QL1, while my pannier was QL2. No idea if they're compatible, and I suspect what you've been using must be QL1. I don't know. But whatever else, my quoted anecdote is certainly not a 'load of rubbish', ta very much. In MY example the lower clips like this, in conjunction with the amount of flex allowed by the upper clips/rail (not looseness- the inserts were a close fit), were sufficient for the events as described earlier. That though, was just MY experience, and I wanted to bring it to attention as a factor to be aware of, nothing more.

Interestingly, even our Foxy friend has made comment on this in the past-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73902#p643899

Anyway, I thought racks and panniers were against the 'bikepacking' ethos... Only framebags, bar rolls and seat-packs allowed! :wink:
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

RickH wrote:I don't know if the clip design of QL2 is different but I've taken my Plus panniers over pretty rough stuff on both front & back racks (Topeak rear, Old Man Mountain front) without any problems.

Remember that there is always the belt-and-braces option with Ortliebs of adding another pair of clips to each bag so you have 4 on each bag (& it is still quick release - you just have to grab both handles at once).

IMG_7847_e (Small).jpg

I don't know if that is an option with other makes?

Rick.

This makes sense. My rear ortliebs used to rattle about and sometimes pop off at the bottom too, so now use 2 lower clips (sadly not feasible on my front end). A 2nd set of upper clips would make a good belt'n braces set-up. I am sure it's likely to be feasible with QL2, which is a bit different, and perhaps less sturdy looking.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

One tip with Ortleib panniers is to do away with the inserts in the clips, and instead source some plastic piping with an inside diameter to match the rack, and an outside diameter to match the clip. Slit the tubing, and tape it to the rack tubes. A cheap solution, and especially convenient if you tend to move the panniers between different sized racks.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

mrjemm wrote:
The main tube of the Tara IS a larger bore than the standard tube. It is that much fatter that it bends the clip outwards, and the tube cannot go all the way in.

Anyway, I thought racks and panniers were against the 'bikepacking' ethos... Only framebags, bar rolls and seat-packs allowed! :wink:

Just take out the insert and it works fine. Picture shows a Ql2 Sports Packer on a Tara rack. Image

Sorry but age prevents me from being one of the new trendy brigade calling themselves "bikepackers" as if they invented the word. :wink:
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".