Spa steel audax owner feedback

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mfitzy

Spa steel audax owner feedback

Post by mfitzy »

I've been toying with the idea of getting an audax frame and switching all the 105 triple groupset over from my giant tcr. Would welcome some feedback from any owners. Budget is limited so can only afford frameset rather than complete build. The TCR is toi aggresive for me now and has always been a poor fit. There is very little info online regarding the Spa audax in steel. I'd be buying sight unseen so a little apprehensive.
CREPELLO

Re: Spa steel audax owner feedback

Post by CREPELLO »

mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

I've read through that link already but it's short on detail. Now the frame has been out some time I was hoping to hear from owners with their experiences either good or bad.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I bought one last September and transferred everything from my clapped out Argos. Fortunately the frame dimensions of both were identical.

I used it until the bad weather arrived over Christmas and am well satisfied. The only minor quibble is that the paint finish could be a bit tougher - a minor fall resulted in a bigger scuff than I would have expected.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

mfitzy wrote:.................... I'd be buying sight unseen so a little apprehensive.

Theres no need to do that.
Take your shoes and pedals to the shop, take out one of the test bikes for a couple of hours.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mfitzy wrote:I've been toying with the idea of getting an audax frame and switching all the 105 triple groupset over from my giant tcr. Would welcome some feedback from any owners. Budget is limited so can only afford frameset rather than complete build. The TCR is toi aggresive for me now and has always been a poor fit. There is very little info online regarding the Spa audax in steel. I'd be buying sight unseen so a little apprehensive.

a few components may not fit; I don't know for sure but I would be thinking about;

- the front mech
- the seat post
- the headset
- the brake calipers
- the stem (will a new length be required?)

but otherwise I'd say it is near enough a no-brainer. Worst case is that you don't like it for some reason and sell it on 'almost new' at a small loss; how bad would that be?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

Thanks to all for your replies. I'd love to get up to Harrogate for the day but it's highly unlikely. The existing front mech won't transfer over as it's the bolted bracket type and I'd also have to fit a new headset, cables and a bottom brackets. Not sure whether the Spa needs long calipers or will take standard roadie ones. Might get a few pounds for the giant frame, forks and carbon seatpost which will help towards the build. Recently built up a Surly Troll so it'll be a right job trying to will be convince the wife I need another new frame.

Finally, is it available in any colour as long as it's black?
Last edited by mfitzy on 27 Feb 2014, 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the spa audax takes brakes with a maximum drop of 57mm. Is this the same as the TCR?

cheers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Yes, its black or black.
Standard calipers listed in the specs. are these http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s100p512 47-57mm drop, pads pretty close to the bottom of the slot for tyre clearance.
iow

Post by iow »

just some extra info for anyone considering the steel audax; according to spa, via email "The 725 steel version weighs 1886gms for the 54cm frame only and 579gms for the forks, making the f&f weight 2.465kg." pretty good for the price imho (carbon fork).
mark
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

iow wrote:just some extra info for anyone considering the steel audax; according to spa, via email "The 725 steel version weighs 1886gms for the 54cm frame only and 579gms for the forks, making the f&f weight 2.465kg." pretty good for the price imho (carbon fork).

5.4 lbs , in real money. Not at all heavy.

cheers
honesty

Post by honesty »

Given that thats the same weight as the Thorn audax frame only it is rather good!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

honesty wrote:Given that thats the same weight as the Thorn audax frame only it is rather good!

And 120 pounds lighter in price and made of Reynolds 725....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
honesty wrote:Given that thats the same weight as the Thorn audax frame only it is rather good!

And 120 pounds lighter in price and made of Reynolds 725....

Whilst I agree the Spa Audax is offered at a good price but don't knock the Thorn.It's a well thought out frameset that's comfortable and handles well with some nice touches and brazeons and IMHO isn't expensive at £425.
IMO thinking Reynolds 725 is better than other similar steels is a mistake.The Thorn is CroMo 8-3-8 double butted main triangle and a nicely designed rear triangle a Reynolds steel fork and builds into an 11kg bike inc m/g's with fairly average components and average wheelset.

I'm not doing down Spa's Audax frameset,indeed on paper it looks very good and very well designed but needs to be offered in a choice of colours,that lack of choice would limit sales IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden