Spa Steel Touring frame

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Spa Steel Touring frame

Post by reohn2 »

Ferraripedaller
WRONG :?
Not Ferrari it demeans the machine and reduces it to a howling nuisance,not to mention your street cred is now completely in tatters :?
If you really must do that Ferr..(I can't bring myself to type it again :? ) it should have been red,don't ya think?

I can see an ivory panel with SPA cycles in it and touring on the toptube,but 'that' Italian name,nope :roll:

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:I can see an ivory panel with SPA cycles in it and touring on the toptube,but 'that' Italian name,nope :roll:

:wink:

Nowt wrong with Italian names or Italy itself for that matter despite what Mr. Farage has to say :wink:

Some of my bikes have loads of Italian names on them San Marco, Campagnolo, Cinelli, Vittoria etc... lol
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

reohn2 wrote:
it should have been red,don't ya think?

Lol if only Spa would give us the choice.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can buy all kinds of bikes these day with names that have car and motorcycle making associations, and this has nearly always been the case. Rover, Triumph, Rudge, Raleigh, Sturmey Archer, Peugeot, Motobecane, the list goes on and on. Fuji bicycles of course are part of an enormous corporation that also owns more than one car manufacturer outright. Right now you can buy Audi and BMW branded bicycles as well as things like this;

Whilst I personally wouldn't want a bike branded by a major car manufacturer, the association between McLaren and Specialized is seen as being positive for Specialized.

If you want Ferrari writ upon your steed you can always buy the real thing;

cracking effort!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Following fastpedaller I have just about finished mine. Size 54 cm. 8 speed (or it will be when I do a wheel swap) barend shifters might change to thumbies or similar some time.

It handles beautifully so thanks be to Colin. I always thought my 1992 Dawes Horizon had too little trail making the steering a bit slow but this Spa is great. Ride is lovely on the Vittoria Hypers too even though I'm flyweight and the frame/fork are probably too stiff for me.

Just back from shopping - hence panniers. A brown or honey B17N would look good but no need really!
Just back from shopping - hence panniers. A brown or honey B17N would look good but no need really!
Hope you like the brown guards. £13.99 from Planet-X!
Hope you like the brown guards. £13.99 from Planet-X!
Last edited by NetworkMan on 2 Nov 2014, 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

NetworkMan wrote:Following fastpedaller I have just about finished mine.

I think that looks really smart.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Hey looks good - I like the matching bar tape and panniers. The Spa triple chainset is great value for money isn't it!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

NetworkMan wrote:Following fastpedaller I have just about finished mine. Size 54 cm. 8 speed (or it will be when I do a wheel swap) barend shifters might change to thumbies or similar some time.
Out of interest what derailleurs have you fitted with the bar end shifters? I have an 8speed cassette and a Deore LX T661(9speed) on the rear and an 8 speed FD R443A on the front on a 51cm frame. Both seem to work very well.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

MikeF wrote:
NetworkMan wrote:Following fastpedaller I have just about finished mine. Size 54 cm. 8 speed (or it will be when I do a wheel swap) barend shifters might change to thumbies or similar some time.
Out of interest what derailleurs have you fitted with the bar end shifters? I have an 8speed cassette and a Deore LX T661(9speed) on the rear and an 8 speed FD R443A on the front on a 51cm frame. Both seem to work very well.

Front is a Claris 8 speed FD-2403 for £10.16 from Rose bikes. I believe we had a discussion a little while ago about which might be best. Rear is another cheapo - an Acera 9 speed RD-M390 for £13.80 also from Rose. Both work flawlessly. In the past I've been happy with a cheap FD. This is the first time I've had such a cheap RD but reviewers seem to think it is much like the pre-shadow Deore. What's more it claims a capacity of 45T which exactly matches what I'm planning.

Cassette will be 8 speed 11-30 initially, but later modified to be 13-34. Front is 48-38-28 soon to be modified to 48-38-24.
digger

Post by digger »

Would like to know whether the bottom bracket shell on this frame is already 'faced' to accept external bottom bracket bearings or would it be best to stick to a cartridge bottom bracket with this frame?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

digger wrote:Would like to know whether the bottom bracket shell on this frame is already 'faced' to accept external bottom bracket bearings or would it be best to stick to a cartridge bottom bracket with this frame?

.......if you can get the cranks any more.........which Spa do sell.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

digger wrote:Would like to know whether the bottom bracket shell on this frame is already 'faced' to accept external bottom bracket bearings or would it be best to stick to a cartridge bottom bracket with this frame?

Don't give in to the fashion industry - stick with the tried and tested parts. The more of us that buy the old parts, the more likely they are to keep making them. I have a cartridge and spa triple - highly recommended!
digger

Post by digger »

I like square taper, run several bikes with it already and certainly some of the Spa offerings with the Zicral or TA rings are on my list of potential purchases.
But...I already have a nice new Hollowtech chainset and bearings waiting to be used.
So, I would ideally still like to know the amswer to the question...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

fastpedaller wrote:

Don't give in to the fashion industry - stick with the tried and tested parts. The more of us that buy the old parts, the more likely they are to keep making them. I have a cartridge and spa triple - highly recommended!

Spot on fastpedaller - absolutely - and well put.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Why not ask Spa themselves? If they are not already faced they may be willing to do it for you.