wearing headphones?

Michael R

wearing headphones?

Post by Michael R »

<mod insertion: this thread has been split from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77893 about reducing wind noise in headphones. Please put discussion about the wearing headphones debate here and reserve the other thread to answer the OP's question. Thanks.>

Do your headphones allow you to hear other road users? Several times cyclists wouldn't let me past on tracks as they could not hear me.

P.S.A hearse overtook me today
Revolution

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Post by Revolution »

Afraid I can't offer the advice you seek any more than I could suggest the right kind of air bed for someone wanting to paddle across the English Channel. In your 'conscious decision to engage in this practise' have you considered the ambulance crew who will have to scrape you off the road? As far as entertainment while riding, have you considered a good book strapped to the handlebars? After all you don't really need to use your sense of sight when riding any more than your need your ears. :lol:
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

meic

Post by meic »

Witnesses had reported seeing the cyclist, wearing headphones under his hood, approached the lowered barriers and manoeuvre his bike around them.

and people blame headphones for his death?
Yma o Hyd
Brian1946

Post by Brian1946 »

The OP may have made a concious decision to wear them, probably on the premise that it's his life. That's fine, there is a risk to others though, I've tried to get past riders with head/earphones, particularly on cycle paths, it's a nightmare, shout a warning, no response, again, still no response, right behind and still no response. Try to go past and it's a big surprise to them with all that the surprise entails.

Each to their own but in my opinion it's daft.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Revolution wrote:...........As far as entertainment while riding, have you considered a good book strapped to the handlebars? .............

..............you mean like HGV drivers on motorways?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Presumably, anybody concerned that a cyclist needs to be able hear everything going on around them is in the anti-helmet camp?

:?
Big T

Post by Big T »

Brian1946 wrote:The OP may have made a concious decision to wear them, probably on the premise that it's his life. That's fine, there is a risk to others though, I've tried to get past riders with head/earphones, particularly on cycle paths, it's a nightmare, shout a warning, no response, again, still no response, right behind and still no response. Try to go past and it's a big surprise to them with all that the surprise entails.

I've had exactly the same with pedestrians on a shared use path (not being able to hear me because they had earphones). Perhaps earphones should be banned outright? Or perhaps we should all have an AirZound?

Personally, I'd use an in-ear headphone and a Buff to cover my ears and deflect the wind.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

mark a. wrote:And please can we leave the "you shouldn't wear headphones" and "buy different headphones" derails to another thread, considering what the OP has politely asked?

Why? He might not only kill himself but also someone else. I have had problems of pedestrians on paths using earphones and not hearing me despite audible warnings and cyclists
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Several years ago near here a teenage cyclists with ear phones ended up under the wheels of a tractor.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... ended up under the wheels ...

That's an interesting expression.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A simple, low cost way to reduce or even eliminate wind noise when wearing headphones is not to cycle whilst using them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mark a. wrote:
Michael R wrote:
mark a. wrote:And please can we leave the "you shouldn't wear headphones" and "buy different headphones" derails to another thread, considering what the OP has politely asked?

Why? He might not only kill himself but also someone else. I have had problems of pedestrians on paths using earphones and not hearing me despite audible warnings and cyclists

Why? Because it's impolite, mainly. If the OP has made his decision based on understanding the risks ...............

I'm not particularly enthralled with this subject - I went onto the thread in the first place only because I though someone was having some kind of a joke, and I wanted to share it..................it never occurred to me that someone really wanted advice on how to be even less attentive when cycling. The OP is however, taken seriously - and words fail me. I am unsubscribing this topic.
Brian1946

Post by Brian1946 »

Just because the OP asked doesn't mean I have to abide by it, at least I 'heard' him and made a decision, he's likely to be oblivious to anything when he's on his bike!!!