How much is a tatty brompton worth?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pioneer

Re: How much is a tatty brompton worth?

Post by pioneer »

I've always wanted one, just cannot justify the price.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

brommie.JPG
For those who reckon it's only good for a trip to the shops:
Last edited by Sweep on 4 May 2013, 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

pioneer wrote:I've always wanted one, just cannot justify the price.

I thought along the same lines but then, last year, in a fit of pique changed my mind and purchased a 3-speed Brom. The ride is good, actually very good and also surprisingly nippy. You can often suprise other riders whilst bowling along at 17mph. Another thing - I have noticed that when parked up the fairer sex often stop and chat. This never ever happens when out on my other bikes! When riding other cyclists either enthusiastically wave or completely blank me :lol: Bit Marmite really but I love it! Brompton's rock 8)
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I borrowed a six speed once for a ride from Framlingham to Southwold and back. Only ever used three of the gears. It was a round trip of only about 42 miles. But, I was very impressed in all respects. Small wheels and slightly twitchy steering are fine as I'm a long term Moulton fan. But getting a Brompton will have to wait for the time being.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Portland wrote:............Clearly a few Brommie haters on this thread

I don't think I include myself in that. I don't enjoy working on them, and I don't think I know anybody who does, but the fact remains if you really need a bike that folds, then the Brommie is the smallest folded package.
By way of explanation, this Brommie turned up at a session where I was showing "new" cyclists how to fix their tyres at the side of the road....this all started because of one of the usual conversations that went..."I can't go out on my own because if the chain comes off or I get a flat, I'm stuck."
So theres me and five "learners" at somebody's garage, when the Brommie turns up. I spent most of the session getting the back wheel off and back in again, formed the opinion that hell would freeze over repeatedly before the mechanically inept owner was able to do it, and recommended carrying an aerosol inflater.....the other five spent most of the morning twiddling their thumbs.....lesson learned for me.
Couple of weeks later, at a session where I was showing people how to adjust their gears, same Brommie turns up with a flat back tyre, same owner expecting me to set to and fix the thing right now for free, while everybody else can stand around waiting..... ..didn't happen, I'm afraid.
With any of my bikes, I release the brake and flick the Q/R lever and the wheel comes out. I reckon I could redesign the Brommie so all you need to do is release the brake, put the chain on a hook, undo the toggle chain and the wheel nuts, and out comes the wheel, leaving the spring-infested filthy chain tensioner where it is. Whats the matter with that?
So theres the challenge, Brompton, if youre reading this.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

For those who reckon it's only good for a trip to the shops:

see above - managed to add pic properly.

Colin - sounds like your issue was as much to do with unreasonable owners as much as/more than the bikes.

Look forward to your enhancement.

all the best
Sweep
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

pioneer wrote:Here's another thought. Just why are they so expensive anyway? A quality item for sure, but there isn't really much to them.

They are made in England from decent material by people who are paid properly.

You could make it cheaper by using old gas pipe and stick welding it together in some Asian sweat-shop.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I reckon £250 is a pretty good price if it is mechanically sound, you can always repaint it and upgrade it over time.
I bought a second hand Brompton a few months ago and find it fine to ride for any distance, although the first thing I did was change the chainset for a double with smaller rings, I change between them manually if faced with a steep hill. In the long run I intend to fit an 8 speed hub.
Here's an example of what I have used mine for http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexande ... 1611/show/

pioneer wrote:Here's another thought. Just why are they so expensive anyway? A quality item for sure, but there isn't really much to them.

You can say the same about any bike, there's just as much to a Brompton as there is to anything else, probably more because of the folding.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Excellent pics. Where was that though please? The phone box and the house look very familiar.
nez

Post by nez »

I've had one for 20 years. Marathon Plus and the Brompton rear wheel is a marriage made in heaven.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I've had one for 20 years. Marathon Plus and the Brompton rear wheel is a marriage made in heaven.

Its a better marriage on the newer rim with a deeper well than on the old rim with a shallow well....hard words have been spoken!... :wink:
nez

Post by nez »

I agree entirely. But I have somehow got the hang of it at home, and the Marathon Plus is as near as you can get to a guarantee I won't ha e to do it on the road. The Brompton is all about convenience. If I want to go serious riding I have a non folding super Galaxy which eats miles.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It's best to change the non-fitting blue plastic rim tape (Brompton really are clueless sometimes) for the narrowest Velox stuff (10mm). Then you can actually get the M+ tyres on by hand :D
billfrankitty

Post by billfrankitty »

250 is a good price. I have tried lots of folders because I did believe, like an earlier poster, the brompton is the cycling equivalent of an urban 4x4. I still do, but, for a folder, it has the best ride, and is great fun. Put mine in a suitcase when I had to go to the US for work last year, and it was really liberating. And as someone else said, its a great conversation starter.

Some small upgrades will make a big difference. I have some removable pedals, that make the fold smaller, but also allow me to have power-grips (easy kind of clips) which make pedalling better in any shoe. Some add clipless, but then you need different shoes. A different saddle, even a newer brompton one, will help.

SJS cycles have lots and lots of spares.
Kins

Post by Kins »

rualexander wrote:I reckon £250 is a pretty good price if it is mechanically sound, you can always repaint it and upgrade it over time.
I bought a second hand Brompton a few months ago and find it fine to ride for any distance, although the first thing I did was change the chainset for a double with smaller rings, I change between them manually if faced with a steep hill. In the long run I intend to fit an 8 speed hub.
Here's an example of what I have used mine for http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexande ... 1611/show/

You can say the same about any bike, there's just as much to a Brompton as there is to anything else, probably more because of the folding.

Awesome photos, can't be uk, there arent any clouds or rain! :)
I was young once, old once and dead once. Not sure what I am now but it is very surreal.