fixing a brookes saddle?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Miguel Evans

fixing a brookes saddle?

Post by Miguel Evans »

I have a pretty well used B17. The nose has a couple of splits in the metal frame that means the bolt does not orientate properly to tension the leather. This pushes out the sides of the saddle.
Brookes quoted me £38 to fix, plus I would have to post it to them.
A nose, bolt and rivets costs about £15. I was thinking of drilling out the original rivets and trying to reattach the new nose - either with my own steel rivets, or with some of brookes original ones.
What do you think? Throw it away and buy a new one, or gamble on the £15 only for me to screw it up? I am fairly mechanical capable (do all my own bike jobs) and have used rivet guns etc
Thanks
gaz

Re: fixing a brookes saddle?

Post by gaz »

This thread may be helpful. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62609
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

steel rivets will rust and the rust rots the leather. When Brooks use machine-set steel rivets they are plated; even so they still rust.

Copper rivets are a better idea. These rivets are hand-set by hammering, not using a rivet gun.

The nose piece can probably be repaired by welding if you don't want to buy a new one, but since it will have to be removed in any case, you may as well have a new one.

If you do repair the saddle, just be sure that the leather is in good enough condition to make it worth the effort.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Miguel Evans wrote:I have a pretty well used B17. The nose has a couple of splits in the metal frame that means the bolt does not orientate properly to tension the leather. This pushes out the sides of the saddle.
Brookes quoted me £38 to fix, plus I would have to post it to them.
A nose, bolt and rivets costs about £15. I was thinking of drilling out the original rivets and trying to reattach the new nose - either with my own steel rivets, or with some of brookes original ones.
What do you think? Throw it away and buy a new one, or gamble on the £15 only for me to screw it up? I am fairly mechanical capable (do all my own bike jobs) and have used rivet guns etc
Thanks

38 quid to fix when you can get this for 35 - bizarre!!

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 7s204p2667
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Depends, the Nidd is great but the old B17 may have been passed down by a friend or relative. Re-covering a saddle is a great experience and large copper rivets are an improvement to many people.