Bike Dog Walking Devices

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Edwards

Bike Dog Walking Devices

Post by Edwards »

We have just got a rescue Collie and are unable to let her off the lead for some time, plus I would like to use my MTB and get her to run (I am not going to run that far).

So I am considering getting one of the devices that clamps to the seat post and you can attach the lead to.
Has anybody tried any and do you have any recommendations as to the best use?

This will never be used on the road but in the local country park when not many people about.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Vorpal

Re: Bike Dog Walking Devices

Post by Vorpal »

I have to start by saying that I have not used any of these things, so I cannot personally offer an opinion. But lots of people cycle with their dogs in Norway, and they mostly seem to use devices that attach to the rack, rather than the seat post.

edit: I've been trying to find an example, but I only find seat post mounted ones on the internet. I guess that I'd rather the dog leashed under my seat post, than on the rack, anyway. Lots of people do it here, mostly on cycle paths, so as long as the dog gets the hang of it, I don't see why not. Have fun. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

why can't you let her off the lead, if she is prone to running off what would that do to you on a bike?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

We have been told that as she was a stray not to let her off the lead until we are absolutely certain the she will not run off.
Even the we were told to wait at least two months after she comes when called. I can remember seeing dog attached to the rear of bikes but was after finding the best type of and leads to use for this.

There is no way I can run as fast as she can or as far. But we are fortunate with the off road paths around here.
Keith Edwards
gaz

Post by gaz »

Page full of ideas here. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Gaz we have a Recumbent Trike :idea: , so nice find.
Keith Edwards
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hi mate

Congrats on the rescue dog! I highly recommend walkydog. Walky.co.uk

They are not the cheapest but are very robust. Have used mine dozens of times for light and relatively savage off roading. I have two rescue Dogs and they absolutely love it now they are used to it. Need to do a bit of initial gentle training to get the more nervous dogs accustomed to it though...

Of the various types I have seen on the market this one seems head and shoulders above in terms of build quality and ease of use, especially regarding mounting on the bike. The collar attaches to the seatpost on my MTB and I have just left it on. The attachment clips on and off instantly and has proved remarkably robust. There is a degree of internal damping which is adjustable (simply removing a spring or two) and this helps when the dogs lurch off to the side after something.

Wrt leads. I use a short length of double lead (approx 12 inches) to attach my two dogs who both have harnesses on. Do not use one attached to a collar alone as you could easily injure your dog. Actually I went on my backside on ice yesterday with the dogs and if they had been attached at the collar it could easily have hurt them. As it was they just laughed at me...

Hope this helps...

Bw, Ant
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Thanks for the info Ant , it is good to know that they do work.

I have ordered a different one and just waiting for it to arrive. This one has the harness supplied (do not have to buy one now) and a short lead with a Velcro break away part. There is also a longer part so the dog can not run away.

Hopefully early next week I can give her a decent run on the way home after letting her sniff all the things dogs sniff in the longer grass and bushes.
Keith Edwards
dodger

Post by dodger »

What happens when your dog wants to stop for a wee? Even just walking mine nearly pulls my arm off!
nez

Post by nez »

you could let the dog off the lead but carry a sausage
:D
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

dodger wrote:What happens when your dog wants to stop for a wee? Even just walking mine nearly pulls my arm off!

This is the part I was hoping for advice from people who use them. I have a plan to use a long lead and walk her normally so that she can have a wee and sniff around. After she has done all that then I would exercise her using the bike.
The problem is it is going to be a struggle with the dog and the bike. I am fortunate in that I have some very quiet paths to try this on.

If I took a sausage the only thing I would attract is all the other dogs that are let out to do their own thing.
Maybe a big net like the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty would help.
Keith Edwards
Ant

Post by Ant »

Another reason why I chose the walky dog. It detaches from the bike in a flash and as it has a padded handle doubles up as a lead. So I can stop the bike anytime, hop off and detach the lead and just walk. Obviously I have to walk the bike too, or stand it somewhere and let the dogs have a sniff around.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Just an update. The one I purchased did not come with a harness, but the elastic part does absorb most of the sudden shocks.
When I first used it I found it caught the back of my thigh as it comes straight out from the seat post. So I used some body else's idea of a spare stem on the post, with the thing clamped to that. This works well as the arm is now behind the saddle.

I have used it a few times now and found it very good. The dog does need to respond to a few commands, such as slow and stop.
I do stop and let her sniff and wee if she wants, but once attached to the bike she just wants to run and run and run.
I have to keep telling her to slow down.

So if you have a dog that can and wants to run fast but needs to be controlled then they are good. But if your dog is very good off the lead and you are able to let them run free that is better.

If you have a rack on your bike it would be very easy to bolt an arm to that and attach something to that
Keith Edwards
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Walk the dog, ride the bike they are two different actives, a dog should walk to heel and it will never learn that by riding along side a bike
Ant

Post by Ant »

That last post is cobblers. Are all dogs the same? I enjoy both walking and riding with my dogs. They enjoy both activities... Riding a bike with them is not lead training, it is just another fun activity that an active intelligent dog will really enjoy. Have you ever tried wearing a collie out on a walk? Mo Farrah couldn't do it. Forrest Gump probably couldn't either!

Anyway Keith, glad you are having success with your attachment. Hav to agree with you on the running thing. My little dog has completely killed my front disc brake pads as I always have to slow her down!