Marine Water Proof Grease

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Marine Water Proof Grease

Post by Drake »

Any views or experiences of using this type of grease for bicycle bearings .
willcee

Re: Marine Water Proof Grease

Post by willcee »

have recently got some of this stuff from a chum who works with outboards, if it keeps underwater stuff good it should do for guys whose bikes i service and ride all winter with integrated headsets without guards... hopefully in better shape bearing wise.. i have also used it on several of my own machines around the brackets, both outboard type and cartridge.. seems to be doing the job so far in what we all called summer.. i don't know what type it is, its white, fairly sticky,and easy enough to apply, i have already asked him for more as 2 chums have filled small jars with it to try themselves.. will
Drake

Post by Drake »

willcee wrote:have recently got some of this stuff from a chum who works with outboards, if it keeps underwater stuff good it should do for guys whose bikes i service and ride all winter with integrated headsets without guards... hopefully in better shape bearing wise.. i have also used it on several of my own machines around the brackets, both outboard type and cartridge.. seems to be doing the job so far in what we all called summer.. i don't know what type it is, its white, fairly sticky,and easy enough to apply, i have already asked him for more as 2 chums have filled small jars with it to try themselves.. will

Does sound promising then . My bike is a bit old,fitted with quill type headset ect and i've been thinking that perhaps for quills,seat posts and chainwheel crank arms,that this type of grease maybe better than copaslip in these areas . Think i'll get some and give it a try . Manythanks for your response .
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is another thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54121 that links to a couple of other threads about grease. It's well worth a read if you really want to know about grease. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As a yougster it was always highly recomended. Try Duckhams Keenol if it still exists. It lasts very well. Ie decades!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

My dad was by trade a millwright and he was always an advocate of using marine grease in hubs, headsets and bottom brackets. Although seals are much better than 60 years ago I still use it when rebuilding hubs.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
iow

Post by iow »

i've been using rock oil MPG marine grease for bearing lubrication on my bike a few years now.
it certainly seems very water resistant, but being white, it's impossible to tell if it's forming an emulsion. also it's very soft and not very sticky which is fine for sealed bearings, but tends to get forced out of open bearings too easily.
mark
Drake

Post by Drake »

Vorpal wrote:There is another thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54121 that links to a couple of other threads about grease. It's well worth a read if you really want to know about grease. 8)

Manythanks for the thread . Some form of waterproof grease seems the way forward for me .
Please except that what i'm going to say now is a purely personal view and will be sacrilege to some . l've never been totally convinced by "Copaslip" . . (shock horror !) . This was a product we used when i was in the motor trade for high temperature applications . . i.e. exhaust manifold studs,nuts,bolts ect,and of cause brake pad applications to stop squealing . Any other applications we used a lithium or moly grease .I do appreciate that "Copaslip" is listed as an anti cease product,but i've associated that more when high temperatures are involved .
Again this is purely a personal view .
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

:shock: :o :shock: I don't think that any of that above is in any way controversial :) ..is it?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Drake wrote:.... l've never been totally convinced by "Copaslip" . . (shock horror !) . This was a product we used when i was in the motor trade for high temperature applications . . i.e. exhaust manifold studs,nuts,bolts ect,and of cause brake pad applications to stop squealing . Any other applications we used a lithium or moly grease

I used lithium grease on my TA alloy cranks, both on the screw-on cover that conceals the fixing bolt, and on the BB axle itself. The cover seized completely, as did the crank - I ended up having to saw it off with a hacksaw, something I haven't done since the days of cottered cranks ... :shock:

I'm sure someone here, maybe Brucey, warned against using lithium grease as an anti-seize agent for alloy against steel.
Drake

Post by Drake »

LollyKat wrote:
Drake wrote:.... l've never been totally convinced by "Copaslip" . . (shock horror !) . This was a product we used when i was in the motor trade for high temperature applications . . i.e. exhaust manifold studs,nuts,bolts ect,and of cause brake pad applications to stop squealing . Any other applications we used a lithium or moly grease

I used lithium grease on my TA alloy cranks, both on the screw-on cover that conceals the fixing bolt, and on the BB axle itself. The cover seized completely, as did the crank - I ended up having to saw it off with a hacksaw, something I haven't done since the days of cottered cranks ... :shock:

I'm sure someone here, maybe Brucey, warned against using lithium grease as an anti-seize agent for alloy against steel.

Come to think of it,i think your right,it was possibly Brucey . I wouldn't necessarily use lithium or moly grease as an anti seize agent though . But with winter coming on,and plus the fact that i live on the South Coast,where there always seems to be dampness in the air during these months . . a waterproof grease seems the way to go for me .
P.S . Spent Sat a/noon angle grinding a seized crank arm off a bike . . so i think your correct about the steel/alloy issue . But i also think that water ingress into these areas doesn't help either .
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

There were a knackered pair of wheels stood out in my back yard for six months ( through all that rain ). They had DT Swiss hubs, and when the skip came, I decided to snip the hubs out and re-use them.
Nothing wrong with them. Lithium grease as per normal.

Built up a pair of wheels which are rolling fine.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

Drake wrote:...the South Coast, where there always seems to be dampness in the air...

A slight understatement, yesterday.
E25
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Use boat grease if you intend to jet-wash your bike regularly.
Drake

Post by Drake »

vjosullivan wrote:
Drake wrote:...the South Coast, where there always seems to be dampness in the air...

A slight understatement, yesterday.

Wasn't it just . . and it ain't a flaming lot better to day either ! :(