Blackburn FL1 lo-rider rack

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Karen Sutton

Blackburn FL1 lo-rider rack

Post by Karen Sutton »

I have one of these racks but have never used it. It's the one with the hoop above the wheel. I need to get some front panniers for it but don't know what clips it accepts. Looked at Carradice but their site says their panniers don't fit the Blackburn lo rider.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
blue_shorter

Re: Blackburn FL1 lo-rider rack

Post by blue_shorter »

I used the Blackburn FL-1 front low rider rack with Carradice front panniers for a number of tours (although presently I am using a
Tubus rack). I had to elongate the holes in the rack with a file, so that the catch part of the clip will pass through. So Carradice
are correct, unless you modify the rack.
Peter
gaz

Post by gaz »

IME older Carradice clips will fit the FL1 unmodified. However Carradice no longer list them, Wiggle do but they have no stock (attempted to order late May 2012), SJS seem to have them. As a caveat I'd add that mine are a slightly older model than this without the "variable fixing" which may result in a looser fitting.

The new clips with the catch are more secure so modification to the rack is a better way forward.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

gaz wrote:IME older Carradice clips will fit the FL1 unmodified. However Carradice no longer list them, Wiggle do but they have no stock (attempted to order late May 2012), SJS seem to have them. As a caveat I'd add that mine are a slightly older model than this without the "variable fixing" which may result in a looser fitting.

The new clips with the catch are more secure so modification to the rack is a better way forward.

When you say the older Carradice clips, do you mean the C system ones gaz? they are the ones on all our panniers. I use Super C on the rear rack, which also have the C system clips on. We only have one pair of front panniers but need two pairs for the Birthday Rides. Before I get any I want to know if they will fit the FL1. i'm not good at modifying stuff.
meic

Post by meic »

I am using one of these racks and they were OK with my rather unusual Jansport panniers.
For my other panniers I am not at all happy with the security of the fitting so they are cable-tied on as an additional measure.
The presence of the plates below the rail prevents any clips from going right around the rails and holds them partially open.
Yma o Hyd
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Hmm. It's starting to look like I'll have to replace the rack if I can't modify it, which I probably can't. I do have an old fashioned rack which I used to use with my very old carradice cotton duck panniers (the type which are attached together at the top with bands and throw over the rack). I've put the rack on the bike but it fouls the mudguard so it is rubbing on the wheel. That's why I thought of using the low rider, but don't have panniers to fit it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Karen Sutton wrote:When you say the older Carradice clips, do you mean the C system ones gaz?

I said old, I meant ancient. I have an extensive range of Carradice hooks.

The problem with the FL-1 is the plate behind the top-rail.
HPIM1139.JPG

The ancient ones don't have a safety catch, they just hang on the rail.
HPIM1132.JPG

The 1980's hook is particularly effective on a FL-1, the 1990's is OK but I wouldn't trust the 2010's to stay put (sorry as my last post linked to these at SJS :oops: ).
HPIM1133.JPG

More recent hooks have a safety catch.
HPIM1135.JPG

The one on the left is a Klick-Fix style, one of the others might be a C-System but I really don't know.
HPIM1136.JPG

To fit any of these hooks you'd need to modify the plate on the FL-1. I've drilled mine in the past in order to fix it to some straight forks. If you do attempt a modification the large circular holes would be the best place to start. Once enlarged a safety catch could pass through. The pannier might rattle around a little but it would not be able to jump off. This type of modification would be most difficult for the klick-fix style of hook.
Last edited by gaz on 15 Jul 2012, 7:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Thanks gaz. The one on the right in your last picture is the C system clip, with the red safety catch.

Disregarding carradice panniers with C system hooks, I wonder if there are any panniers at all which will fit the FL1 lowrider without modifying it? It would seem not as the horizontal plate will probably stop any fixing system attaching properly. It seems odd that so many retailers are still selling this rack if there are no panniers on sale which will fit onto it. I have to admit I've had this rack for ten years and haven't tried to use it until now.
meic

Post by meic »

I was using it quite happily with the cheap and nasty SJS ones.
Using a stronger elastic to keep it pressing down, the elastic just looped around the bottom of the rack, no hooks used at the bottom.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-h ... prod11550/

Though I admit the hooks were far from perfect, I was happy enough with them and they stayed on without any additional straps.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My Karrimore panniers fit, as do some American panniers I have. They have clips similar to the 'ancient' carradice ones. I don't know how old my Karrimore panniers are, as I acquired them at a jumble.

However, I've seen clips like that recently on cheap panniers, but I'm afraid I don't recall where I saw them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

The newest old style carradice clip certainly stays put on a non-hooped low-rider rack; they are a bind to get off they clip on so well!

I tried the cheap and nasty SJS panniers but couldn't stop bits of straps etc catching in the spokes!

People talk of cutting holes in the low-rider plate to fit the pannier clip. Not done it myself but might work.

My Altura Arrans had clips that would work (however I replaced them as the bags kept popping off!).

Also Altura Drylines should work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Altur ... 2572d1f246

(ebay nothing to do with me!).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I found with some hooks (I think Karrimore rather than Carradice) their grip was affected by wether you had the plate at the back, or at the front (ie on the in board or out board side). This difference tends to be where the hook is straight on one side, rather than curved on both sides like the hookes pictured in an earlier post.
Also, as the plate is not the thickest of metal, where the U bolt comes through, I reinforced it with fish eye washers.

If you have the bosses, the custom (braze on mounts) Blackburn low riders are more rigid (unscientific sideways shove with the hand test).
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

The main prroblem I have is not trying to get panniers I already own to fit this rack, it's buying some which will fit. it looks like there won't be any so I'll probably just have to get a new rack and panniers to fit it.

Thanks everyone,.
alban

Post by alban »

Great thread and thanks in particular to gaz for the informative fittings photos which helps noobs like me choose panniers and 'navigate' through the fittings jungle
Cheers
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Thanks everyone for all the info. A good friend has managed to fit my old 1970s front pannier on my bike. so I can use my old 1970s front panniers.

If anyone wants a Blackburn FL1 lo -rider rack they can have it for the cost of posting it.

Cheers

Karen