Tingly Fngers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DaveP

Tingly Fngers

Post by DaveP »

Its nearly a week and a half after finishing our JoGLE, and two fingers on my left hand, which went numb and tingly about three days in, are still just that. No perceptible change. I haven't been on a bike since - recovery period, don'tyou know!

Is it time to start worrying, or is time still the best medicine?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Claireysmurf

Re: Tingly Fngers

Post by Claireysmurf »

I have recently had numbness in my left hand to the extent that I couldn't use the STI levers on that side (ie brakes/gears). I think if you search on the werb and even on this forum you will find it is more common than you might think. Two conditions seem to cause it - cycling palsy or carpal tunnel syndrome. Mine has gone after about 10 days but mine came on after much less time on a bike. I have now changed my saddle, stopped wearing a rucksack whilst cycling and bought a stem raiser in the hope that my bad posture can be improved.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I remember having the same problem after doing my first 100 mile Audax event some years ago, right thumb and index finger numb for several weeks. I put it down to gear changing many times through the ride, down tube shifters.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Search the forum for stuff like handlebar palsy, carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar nerve.
Nerve distribution in the hand resembles Mr Spock's Vulcan salute.....little and ring finger numb=ulnar nerve, thumb, index, and middle finger=the other one
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I had this after four days canal bank riding. Took about a month to disappear.

Google 'white finger'

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

That'll be Ulnar Nerve compression then!
Apparently it will, most likely, pass - eventually :D :D

Your a modest chap, Colin531 - Found one or two very useful links, some featuring yourself - Thanks!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

al_yrpal wrote:I had this after four days canal bank riding. Took about a month to disappear.

Google 'white finger'

Al

NO!!! Not White Finger! I've got the hedges to sort out... :shock: :lol:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

DaveP wrote:Its nearly a week and a half after finishing our JoGLE, and two fingers on my left hand, which went numb and tingly about three days in, are still just that. No perceptible change. I haven't been on a bike since - recovery period, don'tyou know!

Is it time to start worrying, or is time still the best medicine?

Almost certainly Carpel tunnel. It'll probably spread to your right. I had the same in both hands after a ride and yes it started in the left hand. Ended up in hospital having a small operation on my left wrist. It cured the problem completely. I never went back to have the right done as it wasnt serious and it didnt seem worth it.

Apparently it's caused by a build up of fat around the nerve entering the hand.
bencolman

Post by bencolman »

I've finished a 190mile on a poorly set up tandem, just over a week ago and have cyclist's palsy as it seems to be called - weakness in my right hand. However, I've also got intermittent tingling just under my right shoulder blade - any know if this is connected?
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

bencolman wrote:I've finished a 190mile on a poorly set up tandem, just over a week ago and have cyclist's palsy as it seems to be called - weakness in my right hand. However, I've also got intermittent tingling just under my right shoulder blade - any know if this is connected?

I'm not a quack but I'd say it was definitely connected with vibration through the bars and nerves in your arm. I dont get the tingling under the shoulder blade but weakness and knumbness yes. It's always cured by letting my arm hang down for a minute or so. In my case my age 69 guarantees such problems. If you're a lot younger it might be worth seeing the quack.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I've had it for years now - numb little finger and cyclists palsy in the next finger (likes to "lock" at 90 degrees if I encourage it).
I've more or less given up trying to fix it - though I've now switched from gripshifters to triggers partly so I can experiment more easily with handlebars and grips.
I do everything from commuting to touring and sprinting on a modded MTB.

I had worse all down that side when I used to lean against the wall via my right shoulder when using my PC at home..
531colin

Post by 531colin »

bencolman wrote:I've finished a 190mile on a poorly set up tandem, just over a week ago and have cyclist's palsy as it seems to be called - weakness in my right hand. However, I've also got intermittent tingling just under my right shoulder blade - any know if this is connected?

531colin wrote:Search the forum for stuff like handlebar palsy, carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar nerve.
Nerve distribution in the hand resembles Mr Spock's Vulcan salute.....little and ring finger numb=ulnar nerve, thumb, index, and middle finger=the other one

Welcome!...or is that "live long and prosper"..?
top right hand corner there is an "advanced search" box...type the stuff I suggested above in there.
I have a recollection that the Ulnar nerve can also get squashed in your shoulder....and also that you will find contributions from people who know more than me!
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Ulnar nerve in my case; it's the one that runs to the little finger and the third finger, so if your little finger is properly affected and the third a little less so, then that's your problem. I've still got very slight symptoms just over a month later, but it certainly fades (in fact I seem to recall reading that the nerve actually self-repairs).

In my case it was fairly clear that the way I had my bars set up was putting a little pressure on the point where that nerve passes through the heel of the hand (google for an anatomical diagram). I'd used my current position for a few years with no ill effects on rides up to 170-miles; it only becaume an issue after a 360-miler. I'm pretty sure mine can be fixed with a very slight tilt of the bars, a very slight lift of the hoods, and possibly an extra bit of tape under the tape just behind the hoods.

So check the position that you spend most of your time in and see what the pressure points are, and compare them with descriptions/diagrams online. Also it's worth noting that Specialized BG gloves have a pad designed to prevent ulnar nerve problems, though IME it seems more effective on flat bars than drops.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Should have used a recumbent. :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

byegad wrote:Should have used a recumbent. :D

You get a tingly bum with them.