Tyres-yet again.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
coastman

Tyres-yet again.

Post by coastman »

I've been using Specialized Armadillos for some years now on 700x25 and get about 3000 mls. out of a pair, but of course the p***ture fairy pops up occasionaly (excuse the pun) to prove they are indeed not infallable. I'm going on a tour in a couple of months time and long stretches of it are off road. What I am after is a tyre as bomb proof as the marathon plus but at half the weight, does a tyre excist?
531colin

Re: Tyres-yet again.

Post by 531colin »

It exists only in our dreams......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree.
Armadillos are wonderful. I used them for some years in the 90's and into the 00's too. Since then, I've gone to Vitoria Rubino Pro. They are lighter than the Armadillos and seem as bomb proof too, but only on-road.

If you want a tyre to be used off-road ................... the list is endless.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Consider a pair of Slime filled tubes.
They are not totally P* resistant but keep the tyre inflated and ridable until civilization is reached.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ayesha wrote:Consider a pair of Slime filled tubes.
They are not totally P* resistant but keep the tyre inflated and ridable until civilization is reached.

Hey that could be a long way. If you're in Thurso it's over 300 miles to England :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

pete75 wrote:
Ayesha wrote:Consider a pair of Slime filled tubes.

Hey that could be a long way. If you're in Thurso it's over 300 miles to England :D

What's the policy on racism here?

I was in Thurso and a local said "Donya drink tha wat'r oer tha burn, cows shte an pss in it."
I said "I'm English, could you repeat that?"
He said "Use two hands. You'll be able to pick more up".
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

There is so much inbreeding up there that even the KitKats have 6 fingers. :D
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've had good luck with Panaracer RiBMos. Nice and light and seem as good as 'dillos re penetrations. On my last tour I had 3 in 2800 miles. I've had flats in Armadillos after 200 miles, they are heavy and I find their ride harsh. It may be Coke or Pepsi I suppose.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete Jack wrote:I've had good luck with Panaracer RiBMos. Nice and light and seem as good as 'dillos re penetrations. On my last tour I had 3 in 2800 miles. I've had flats in Armadillos after 200 miles, they are heavy and I find their ride harsh. It may be Coke or Pepsi I suppose.

I like Ribmo's too.See here:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=60969
They're comfy,light,roll well and are very durable.32mm weigh 440grms,
You can still get Marathon H368's NOS on Ebay for £16 each 32mm weigh 550grms.
Both tyre are pretty bombproof but no tyre is immune.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

+1 for RibMos. They grip well in the wet, too.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'd be a little cautious with lighter tyres. I've had good puncture resistance with Gatorskins on the contact face that meets the road, but have taken the sidewalls out on two causing the innertube to bulge through. I'm currently using Continental Touring Plus on that bike in 700*32 and they are all round more robust.

According to this the 700 * 28 is 580 grams

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Just changed a 25mm Gatorskin, 3500 or so miles with 1 puncture. All done on fixed, The tyre was usable but I didn't feel it was reliable any more. All my riding is now done on country roads, more thorns but less broken glass.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

First RiBMo p*re after 2000 miles. Staples are about the worst there is for this kind of thing. I've seen them defeat Mr Tuffys.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West