Looking at this bike, what are you're thoughts?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RobbieG

Looking at this bike, what are you're thoughts?

Post by RobbieG »

Hello,

New here, looking at jumping on the cycling fanbase again. Not done it in a while, and the last time I really used to ride was with Southwark Young Cyclists, that unfortunately does not exist anymore thanks to spending cuts.

Anyways, my last bike was a mountain bike (Saracen) and was so small I could not ride it anymore so sold it for £40. I've been currently studying my Private Pilots License at London's Biggin Hill Airport and have literally finished, just currently revising for the Skills Test and then I am on my way.

SO - I still go to college which is situated in a very hilly area and my workplace is according to AA MAPS about 8-9 miles away in each direction, so obviously something fast but can climb some rather steep hills in South East London. I'd also like to ride it from my present location near Elephant & Castle to Biggin Hill for when I go flying.

I was looking at this one here, http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 8#features and wondered to see what peoples thoughts are? What else would I need to keep safe, i.e lights, helmet and ANTI theft systems to get me from A to B in one piece along with the bike?

A few questions, I am 6ft and love speed, so would this be for me? What sort of speed could I get out of it? Do you know what the finance option is like? As I would like to not blow £700 in one go, as it's pretty much not what I have at the moment.

Kindest Regards,

Robbie
Regards,
Robbie | Student Pilot with 44hrs 20 minutes. Working towards EASA LAPL/PPL @ London Biggin Hill Airport!
Follow me on Twitter |@RobbieC172Pilot
uphillbothways

Re: Looking at this bike, what are you're thoughts?

Post by uphillbothways »

The Allez is a full-on road bike, so it'll be quick, but not especially practical. It doesn't have proper mounting points for mudguards or a pannier rack, which you really want on a commuting bike. I'd go for something like the Dawes Sportif, that'll be just as quick but more practical.

The bike is largely irrelevant in terms of how fast you'll go - the speed differences between road bikes are a matter of seconds per mile, only of relevance to racers. The most significant factor will be how fit you are and how hard you work. If you want to get there quickly, you will inevitably get there red-faced and sweaty. Over 9 miles, the difference between full-on race pace and a leisurely cruise will only be about 10 minutes.

As regards accessories, you'll need lights and a good lock. Buy the best of both you can afford. I recommend Smart Lunar LED lights and Kryptonite Evolution Mini locks. You'll also need to secure your front wheel, either with a cable or with security skewers. Helmets are a matter of personal preference - the evidence for their usefulness can be read either way and it's a bit of a holy war. I don't wear one, if you choose to then make sure to buy one that fits.
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

I have a road bike for commuting to and from Uni (6 miles) in Bristol (fairly hilly). As no panniers, I always arrive with a sweaty back because I have to carry everything with me in a rucksack. If there will be showers at your destinations, this won't be a problem, however if not you might want to consider a more suitable bike as the poster above mentioned ;)
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

If you're looking at buying one of those cus its price is reduced, be bloody sure its the correct size for you.

Print that out and take it to your local Evans. Do a 'Stand-over' test. The Spesh 58cm has a Stand-over height of 836mm. Thats the upper surface of the top-tube where it meets the head-tube.
For that bike to be correct, the difference between your standing height and sitting height ( Leg Length ) must be 35 - 40mm greater than 836mm; around 875mm ( 34 1/2 inches ). That's a tall bloke.
For the 49cm size, it will be OK if your Leg length is 30 1/2 inches. A short guy or a young lady.

For using as a 'Mode of Transport', the Spesh Allez is impractical, as has been said, it doesn't welcome full mudguards.
The Spesh Allez is a bike for those who go out on Sunday pretending to be raceboys.
Spesh sell loads of them, because of that very reason.

The Spesh Allez is not light enough to be a serious racing bike, but hey, it looks like a racing bike and is under £1000.

Oh, and that model has a triple, because Sunday Warriors haven't got proper muscles enough to pull a 39 tooth chainring up a 14%. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think it's good value and worth buying.

I'd be put off this frame because there are no mudguard eyes, not that I have my mudguards on all the time - far from it - but I do like them on when the weather is poor as it it keeps me and the bike cleaner.

Also, although the top gear of 50/12 is fine at 110", the bottom of 30/25 = 31" isn't low enough considering there's triple on the front. It depends on where you you live and where you might want to ride.

Saying all that, it looks a fine bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Go to a proper bike shop where they encourage you to test ride the bikes on the road, not round the car park. (there used to be one in Orpington, havn't been there for a while)
Race bikes(and lookalikes) have a very agressive riding position....handlebars low down, and a long stretch. Thats OK if you are young, flexible and used to it.....you may have 2 of those.
All these magic formulae will make your head spin, but they won't make your bike fit.....unless you are already a racing cyclist.
Bikes described as "audax" or similar will have a less agressive position, and the ability to use mudguards and a carrier, which are useful for commuting, and also lower gears, which you will need at least to start with, until you get really fit.
A bike that is "reduced" is only cheap if it fits you and is fit for your purpose.....search this forum, you will find no end of people who have bought a race bike and now are struggling and spending money to get the gears lower and the bars higher.....never one wanting the gears higher or the bars lower.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The Allez is a nice bike it was ideal for the use I had it for; hire bike while on hardish touring rides in Majorca. But has no facility for mudguards or carrying a pannier rack. You can get bags that come with a clip to clip on to the seat post so relieving your back of carrying a rucksack, but then all the [inappropriate word removed] covers your bag and not you....

Fast is more to do with your fitness, though obviously a heavy bike will slow you down, esp on those hills.

I would look at something as suggested, or go to LBS to find something in lightish alu (if that is what you want) but with the capacity to fit a rack and mudguards.
Besides fitting panniers to a rack it is easier to fit rear lights to a rack, and I often more than one light displayed.
I would invest in a decent U-lock, I am fortunate in that I can leave mine at work so do not need to carry it daily and only use a fairly basic lock inbetween, but then my bike is usually only locked up outside cafes or shops for fairly short periods of time, on other occasions.

Can you put the bike somewhere secure at Biggin Hill, so you do not need to carry a heavy lock all the time but just a lightweight one?

You will need to consider clothing and there are lots of suggestions on here about the sort of clothing people prefer, all depends on how much you want to wear, how quickly you sweat up inside jackets etc., I personally avoid big jackets esp waterproof ones like the plague as they are just too heavy and prefer lighter layers, with a light weight waterproof.

padded shorts/underwear and decent leggings need also to be on your list of considerations.

If you do go to Evans they do some very good slightly stretchy velcro fastening scotchlite ankle bands which I also use at night.

Helmets comes down to personal choice, if put helmet into search you will come up with many arguments for and against, I am for personal choice and not compulsion.

If your budget is limited and you wish to spread payments, various companies have systems for this, but could be expensive. does your employer have the cycle towork scheme, worth investigating. It is not as good as it was, but you have the option to spread payments out of your wages before tax, over a year.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

531colin wrote:Go to a proper bike shop where they encourage you to test ride the bikes on the road, not round the car park. (there used to be one in Orpington, havn't been there for a while)
Race bikes(and lookalikes) have a very agressive riding position....handlebars low down, and a long stretch. Thats OK if you are young, flexible and used to it.....you may have 2 of those.
All these magic formulae will make your head spin, but they won't make your bike fit.....unless you are already a racing cyclist.
Bikes described as "audax" or similar will have a less agressive position, and the ability to use mudguards and a carrier, which are useful for commuting, and also lower gears, which you will need at least to start with, until you get really fit.
A bike that is "reduced" is only cheap if it fits you and is fit for your purpose.....search this forum, you will find no end of people who have bought a race bike and now are struggling and spending money to get the gears lower and the bars higher.....never one wanting the gears higher or the bars lower.

"All these 'magic' formulae"....

Trek have been sizing bike for their riders using the above method since they entered the bicycle industry. They must know something. Treks have sported a guy in a yellow jersey several times.
Look at their Owner's handbook.

With every will in the world, a LBS oik won't be able to fit a bike to a rider within the time he's alloted to sell the bike. As long as the 'Stand over' height of a OTP bike from Trek, Spesh, Felt, Fuji et al is right, the rest of the fitting should be done by someone who knows what they are doing. The LBS chief Honcho will prob charge extra for a 'proper' fitting.
Its well worth the spend. Before you agree to shell out however, check he's going to take measurements of your VO2 uptake by the Watts & HR method. He's setting the bike up for ergonomic perfection, not looks.

As for getting to and from the Airfield OP. Get a bike that is sturdy, can take mudguards and has clearances that a cleaning rag can get in. You will be doing a lot of this.
And also, when you get your new bike, go round it with Waxoil.
The first part that goes bad is the rear gear cable adjuster on the mech. The second and third are the brake cable adjusters on the calipers.
g00se

Post by g00se »

Not a recommendation - just a consideration. But if you like the Specialized Allez, they also so the 'Secteur' which is similar but a slightly more relaxed geometry and rack mountings.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-sport-2011-road-bike-ec025005?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

No front mudguard mountings and the clearances are too tight for full guards, but you could probably fit 'Mk2 Crud Catchers' or the new 'SKS Raceblade Longs' on it.
RobbieG

Post by RobbieG »

Hello Guys,

Thanks so far for the replied, I went into store today to have a look and didn't feel comfortable on the roadbike. So had a look at the hybrids obviously more adjusted to what I need, and these two came up.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... 8#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rid ... 8#features

What's your thoughts? Considering what I want to do with it (commute)
Regards,
Robbie | Student Pilot with 44hrs 20 minutes. Working towards EASA LAPL/PPL @ London Biggin Hill Airport!
Follow me on Twitter |@RobbieC172Pilot
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

The gearing's verging on too high for loaded hilly riding on both of those, the Ridgeback is only a double so especially too high.

The Pinnacle's better, but the tyres aren't much cop unless you enjoy repairing punctures.
_________
LEJoG slug
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This might prove better and for 40 quid less. It has a higher level Tiagra kit, mudguard eyes and comes with mudguards. It's also like to be better put together than a mass produced machine..
You also have leeway to specify things like type of chainset, crank length , cassette, stem length and handlebar width.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... ERC&bike=1
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
uphillbothways

Post by uphillbothways »

pete75 wrote:This might prove better and for 40 quid less. It has a higher level Tiagra kit, mudguard eyes and comes with mudguards. It's also like to be better put together than a mass produced machine..
You also have leeway to specify things like type of chainset, crank length , cassette, stem length and handlebar width.

Fantastic value for what it is - a winter training bike - but there's no option for triple gearing or a wide-range cassette and it has full-on race geometry. Utterly unsuitable for a near-novice on a hilly commute.
karlt

Post by karlt »

uphillbothways wrote:
pete75 wrote:This might prove better and for 40 quid less. It has a higher level Tiagra kit, mudguard eyes and comes with mudguards. It's also like to be better put together than a mass produced machine..

Fantastic value for what it is - a winter training bike - but there's no option for triple gearing or a wide-range cassette and it has full-on race geometry. Utterly unsuitable for a near-novice on a hilly commute.

Depending on how hilly "hilly" is, you can spec a compact and a 25 largest sprocket giving you a 34x25 lowest which'd certainly get me around N. Derbys commuting - lowest gear I use on my commute is 39x25.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

uphillbothways wrote:

Well funnily enough two "near novices" I know have each bought one of those machines ( one with Tiagra and one with Campag - think its about 40 quid more) on the bike to work scheme. Both use them for commuting and both get on well with them. One commutes 10 mile on a very hilly route without problem - should I tell him to stop riding his bike to work as it is "utterly unsuitable"??? If the Campag option is chosen it gives 34 x 29 which is bugger all different to the 30 x 26 of a Shimano road triple setup.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker