Locks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lucia

Locks

Post by lucia »

Hi,
I am totally confused by the choice of locks on offer. even those in my shortlist choice of Abus D-locks suitable for city use in what I reckon would be considered a moderate to high risk area. I can't afford the top Gold secure ones.and don't really want anything that heavy even though I'm well aware that a lighter one would compromise security. Based on the buy a lock worth at least 10% of the price of one's bike, that would mean spending £25 plus or equivalent Euro. I bought my hybrid 15 years ago in the UK for £250 though doubt it's worth anything near that now.
Does anybody have an ny reccomendations and experience of the above locks for city use? I think I'll go for one of the silver secure model, but which?
I have a Kryptonite D-lock but no doubt technically way out of date now.

I would also get an additional cable lock or security skewers to secure front wheel and saddle as I have quick release. I suppose a basic looped cable wouldn't be much good for this use.

Many thanks.

Just noticed another recent lock post. Interesting.
gaz

Re: Locks

Post by gaz »

Try this recent lock thread, it will either help or confuse you more.

My own hybrid is possibly a little older than yours. It's locked with a Squire D-Lock of similar age and even older Squire cable lock around the front q/r wheel. The cable could be cut easily, I rarely "fill" the D.

I don't believe it's regular town centre locking location to be particularly high risk but I don't have the crime figures for the area. It has suffered a little vandalism, someone twisted off the computer the day I forgot to take it off. :evil: I keep meaning to pack a spare q/r skewer in case of vandalism.

I am happy that there will always be easier and more attractive pickings than mine. I regularly see more modern and attractive bikes (not necessarily better :wink: ) left less securely. As such I believe it will be safe with the locks I am using.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I'd recommend a d-lock at least 16mm thick, they are heavy but you soon get used to the weight (use frame bracket or pannier bag to carry). Check out the lfgss's locks that work thread, I use Kryptonite locks which are fairly expensive, but my wife has a Magnum Blok d-lock (£24.81) which although cheaper looks pretty solid and is within your budget and listed in the locks that work thread.

I use a cheap saddle on my work bike and a Kryptonite seat-saver cable to secure it.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

I have an Abus gold lock but its far too heavy to carry for everyday commuting, so I gave it to my son instead. I personally carry a Kryptonite Evo Mini, but then I am only commuting with little likelyhood of having to stop much and lock up for long periods. If I did I would probably get a second Evo Mini as they are very good locks. You can pick them up on line for about 30 notes. I have a New York Faghetaboutit (or however you spell it?) but its too heavy to carry everyday and is slightly smaller than an Evo Mini anyway.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My hack bike has a pair of frame locks, then I used a cable lock to secure it - fairly simple, but makes the cycle less than attractive to scoundrels
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
lucia

Post by lucia »

Many thanks to you all for your suggewstions. I'll ponder on the matter a while lomger, bearing your comments in mind. Does anybody have any more ideas on other cable locks for securing saddle and front wheel? Yes, I'm considring the Kryptonite ones. I presume ordinary loop cables used in conjunction with shackle locks are pointless these days? Easily cut through, though maybe ok deterremt against opportunist thieves.
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

Sadly I think the only thing you can do is to get the best lock with regard to weight/reputation and go with it. But remember, the best lock is you. What I'm saying is, always try to keep your bike in view (without getting paranoid about it).

I know that's just not possible for many. About time the cycling lobby's shut up about cycling friendly cities and cycle-paths and actually used a bicycle - then perhaps if you asked them if they'd leave their £**** worth of laptop cabled up to a 'PC Correct' bike stand...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The oft missed point is also HOW you lock the bike.

None of the high end locks will be of any good if you padlock the front wheel only. Equally a medium level lock through the frame will offer a greater level of protection.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

From the foregoing, I am beginning to feel perhaps a little naive or cavalier or just plain lucky. I frequently don't bother to lock my bike (I do have a nuisance-value-only combination lock but don't always use it) and I have never had one stolen or vandalised in nearly 60 years of bike ownership. Mind you, I have never had a blinged up one that shouts 'Steal Me' either. I don't live in London or rural depths; Farnborough, Hants, in fact.

Are we all getting a little paranoid perhaps ? Just asking ... :D
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

chrisc wrote:From the foregoing, I am beginning to feel perhaps a little naive or cavalier or just plain lucky. I frequently don't bother to lock my bike (I do have a nuisance-value-only combination lock but don't always use it) and I have never had one stolen or vandalised in nearly 60 years of bike ownership. Mind you, I have never had a blinged up one that shouts 'Steal Me' either. I don't live in London or rural depths; Farnborough, Hants, in fact.

Are we all getting a little paranoid perhaps ? Just asking ... :D

That was such a reassuring post. Think you might well be right
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

I started reading both threads, and quickly realised that my lock wasn't good enough.

But then I watched a couple of youtube videos that demonstrate how to lock your bike up... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZDq1vki ... re=related

They all mentioned that you shouldn't leave any space whatsoever.

So, I'll carry on using my one lock, wrapped round wheel/post/frame as tightly and as convolutely as i can get it. I should probably get another one for the back. I'm not gonna spent £30 or more for a new lock! I don't have thirty pound!
porky

Post by porky »

If you are worried about having your wheels or saddle stolen then Pinhead skewers are a good, but not cheap, solution at around £40 for a 3 pack. I have worked out how I would get them off if I ever lost the key but it is not something I can imagine an opportunist thief doing.

For securing the bike to the parking stand I use a good solid chain with a special padlock which does not leave any open space to lever it off. Chains like this are expensive and heavy. I find the easiest way to carry it is to wrap it around my top tube, which I have covered with a frame protector. I can't see a chain and lock like mine on the internet but Abus do some pretty good ones costing £80-£90.
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
johnsie

Post by johnsie »

Any knowledge out there of alarmed locks?

I rarely go to high risk areas, and often just pop into a couple of shops in the local market town, stop to have a cup of tea, or make room for a cup of tea(!).

It would be good to have a light weight lock that I could turn my back on, yet still be within earshot of.

Thanks
Screech like a Sirrus!
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

I just make sure my bike is covered on my house insurance and checked the level of locking they require. This turns out in my case to be 'a lock' probably due to the low value of my bike. When going out for longer rides I use a small cable lock from a pound shop as it covers me as far as insurance is concerned and it weights very little. In town I use a more sturdy looking cable lock which cost about a fiver. I don't have quick release wheels, my bike is a bit unique so would be very hard to sell on and to be honest the inconvenience of having it stolen would be offset by the fun I would have building a replacement :D
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

johnsie wrote:Any knowledge out there of alarmed locks?

I rarely go to high risk areas, and often just pop into a couple of shops in the local market town, stop to have a cup of tea, or make room for a cup of tea(!).

It would be good to have a light weight lock that I could turn my back on, yet still be within earshot of.

Thanks

These were mentioned in a recent post - maybe by Mick F - within the last month, I think. A forum search should find it.