Filtering in Traffic Queue

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

Filtering in Traffic Queue

Post by AlastairS »

Does the Highway code allow cyclists to filter between lanes of queued traffic ?
Thanks,
Alastair
snibgo

Re: Filtering in Traffic Queue

Post by snibgo »

It does; see rule 211. But I advise great caution, especially passing on the left, especially approaching junctions (because we don't really know in which direction a vehicle will be going), especially when overtaking large vehicles because drivers may not be able to see cyclists.

As a personal rule, I never overtake a large vehicle on either side unless I know I can get past before the vehicle will be able to move.
Ribblehead

Post by Ribblehead »

snibgo wrote:It does; see rule 211. But I advise great caution, especially passing on the left, especially approaching junctions (because we don't really know in which direction a vehicle will be going), especially when overtaking large vehicles because drivers may not be able to see cyclists.

As a personal rule, I never overtake a large vehicle on either side unless I know I can get past before the vehicle will be able to move.

Agreed, unfortunately filtering can be a very dangerous business. Some people use the stationary traffic to drop someone off for work, so you have to beware of people opening car doors.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Ribblehead wrote: Some people use the stationary traffic to drop someone off for work, so you have to beware of people opening car doors.

You mean like this? :shock:

http://youtu.be/bfTl3wyrE8Y
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Trigger wrote:
Ribblehead wrote: Some people use the stationary traffic to drop someone off for work, so you have to beware of people opening car doors.

You mean like this? :shock:

http://youtu.be/bfTl3wyrE8Y

And his first thought is to check the car door for damage!?!?!
slacker

Post by slacker »

Filtering between lanes is just overtaking the traffic on your left, so it's covered by the sections relating to overtaking.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Rule 211 does imply that it is okay for cyclists to filter through traffic, but nowhere can I see it specifically mentioned, which personally I would have liked to see.
I don't think filtering is covered by the rules of overtaking (162 - 169). Overtaking on the left is only permitted when the vehicle in front is indicating a right turn.
These rules would make filtering illegal if traffic is moving slowly in queues. "stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues".

Alastair
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Be EXTRA aware when passing stationary vehicles on the curbside. You are always in the "Doorzone".

Take nothing as 'given'.
If at all possible, pass round on the crest side. You can use the oncomiomg lane if there are no oncoming vehicles.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Other threads on filtering....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46404&p=381057
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33213

There are loads more. Just stick 'filtering' or 'filtering in traffic' in the search window.

Personally, I seldom filter, but when I do, I stick to:

-Not filtering at places that HC recommends against (i.e. where conflict is likely to occur) like at junctions, on the approach to zebra crossings, on the zig zags approaching schools, etc.
-Never filtering either side of a large vehicle
-Filtering between lanes rather than on the inside (with exceptions noted below)
-Filtering at lights only when I am confident of being able to get to the front before the lights change to green, or rejoin the traffic flow when they do
-Not filtering past the last few cars at an uncontrolled junction

There are just a few situations in which I filter on the inside. Sometimes advanced stop lines have filter lanes leading to them. If I am confident that I can get there before the lights change or safely rejoin the traffic flow when they do, I will use the filter lanes. Otherwise, I wait/travel in primary. Sometimes if turning left on a junction that I use frequently, and again, following the other rules for filtering, I will filter on the inside. I generally prefer, however to filter between lanes, then rejoin the traffic flow enough before a turn to make the turn from primary. Lastly, there is one place that I regularly filter on the inside to access a cycle track that goes off the road about 10 yards before a junction. When I filter on the inside where there isn't a marked lane, I do so very slowly, and if I don't feel safe, I either rejoin the main traffic flow, or stop & become a pedestrian, depending on my judgement of the situation.

The book Cylcecraft has some space dedicated to filtering. I can't find my copy at the moment :cry: but maybe someone else could relate John Franklin's wisdom.

edited for typo
Last edited by Vorpal on 31 Aug 2011, 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This link has the results of my own research, including an invaluable link from Sprocket to the official training on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28659&p=225694&hilit=
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

IIRC, its NOT illegal to pass another vehicle on the curbside.
It only becomes naughty if it is done without due care and/or dangerously.

If a cyclist ZOOMS past traffic on the curbside, a police officer could see that as 'Furious cycling' and hand out a ticket.

If a cyclist rolls past traffic on the curbside, with one hand on the handlebars and the other holding a mobile phone to his ear, a police officer could see that as 'stupid' and hand out a severe verbal warning.

If a cyclist rolls past traffic on the curbside, sees a Giorgio Armani tee shirt in the gutter, stops, picks it up and puts it in his backpack; a police officer might see that as theft of someone elses property and arrest the cyclist who will recieve a summons and get a six months custodial sentance.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

ajsaddacs wrote:These rules would make filtering illegal if traffic is moving slowly in queues. "stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues".

That part of the HC doesn't say "MUST" or "MUST NOT", nor does it quote the legislation, so it doesn't say it is illegal. It is advice.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've linked above to my reasons for believing filtering is legally OK. OTOH, let's not clutch at straws. If the following legitimates filtering
It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists ... filtering through traffic...
then the following advice to cyclists might be taken to legitimate the careless opening of car doors:
You should ... Leave plenty of room when passing parked vehicles and watch out for doors being opened ...

IMO, just because the HC warns that something may happen, that's not legalising it. I hope.

(And if there's a post from me making the same grab, Ive a tendency to be inconsistent :oops: )
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That filtering is included in Bikeability level 3 is the DfT endorsement of the practice. The manuals (and Cyclecraft, which they are based upon) are the official 'how to' of the government. The legality of the practice is implicit in the training for level 3.

However, the manuals have been moved to http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/deliv ... e-manuals/ as the bikeability.org site is no longer maintained.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

thirdcrank wrote:... just because the HC warns that something may happen, that's not legalising it ...

Good point.