A bit of a ranter about sale section

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Malaconotus

Re: A bit of a ranter about sale section

Post by Malaconotus »

Nutsey wrote:Seriously though, if Buyer A replies first but is inconvenient to sell to (for whatever reason) and Buyer B replies after but you know is nearby / reliable / whatever - the "first dibs" convention goes out the window for a rational seller.

Well, that's one for your conscience, I guess. I would feel obliged to sell to the first person, even where it were less convenient for me. But then I expect your Thatcherite conscience gives you less trouble than mine.
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

Nutsey wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:nutsey, when i saw that you'd contributed to the thread and before i read your reply, i thought to myself "i bet it's some predictably dogmatic thatcherite guff."

thanks for not disssapointing :lol:

Seriously though, if Buyer A replies first but is inconvenient to sell to (for whatever reason) and Buyer B replies after but you know is nearby / reliable / whatever - the "first dibs" convention goes out the window for a rational seller.

I agree with you, but as someone dibd the bike first. surely the sller should come back to u and ask to match the offer. I fail to then he can sell to the second poster.
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

the fact is, I didn't get any reply until this morning, saying someone else is buying it.

This is what happens when someone registers and their first post is in sale section. some forums have minimum of 20 posts and 5 threads before u can advertise.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

It has to be the rough with the smooth, I think. For instance, if someone makes an offer, are they obliged to follow through? That can't work in an informal system. A seller must remain free to make a personal judgement on what is best for him/her. A buyer must remain free to change their mind. A set of rules opens up a can of worms.
Si

Post by Si »

We advise that people PM the seller and leave a post in the thread to show that they are interested.

However, as has been said, it is the seller's item and their choice to sell to who they want - the forum can't control this, only advise.

Do you actually know that it was sold to someone on this forum who enquired after you? Could someone have PMed before you but not posted to the thread? Could the item have been sold via another forum? I'd doubt that the seller was trying to be unfair to you, probably just an innocent misunderstanding and not worth your while fretting about it, better just to chalk it up to bad luck rather than letting it get you down.

Also, can we ease up on the bad language please?
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

patricktaylor wrote:It has to be the rough with the smooth, I think. For instance, if someone makes an offer, are they obliged to follow through? That can't work in an informal system. A seller must remain free to make a personal judgement on what is best for him/her. A buyer must remain free to change their mind. A set of rules opens up a can of worms.

I am not saying they are obliged to follow through, but have decency to follow through whoever offered to buy the bike first, if that fails go to the second offer.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

ara-the-bird wrote:
patricktaylor wrote:It has to be the rough with the smooth, I think. For instance, if someone makes an offer, are they obliged to follow through? That can't work in an informal system. A seller must remain free to make a personal judgement on what is best for him/her. A buyer must remain free to change their mind. A set of rules opens up a can of worms.

I am not saying they are obliged to follow through, but have decency to follow through whoever offered to buy the bike first, if that fails go to the second offer.

But you are suggesting some rules. Rules won't work. It is just an informal system. However, I can appreciate the frustration.
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

Si wrote:We advise that people PM the seller and leave a post in the thread to show that they are interested.

However, as has been said, it is the seller's item and their choice to sell to who they want - the forum can't control this, only advise.

Do you actually know that it was sold to someone on this forum who enquired after you? Could someone have PMed before you but not posted to the thread? Could the item have been sold via another forum? I'd doubt that the seller was trying to be unfair to you, probably just an innocent misunderstanding and not worth your while fretting about it, better just to chalk it up to bad luck rather than letting it get you down.

Also, can we ease up on the bad language please?

It is possible he sold the bike somewhere else, or someone from this forum.

And it is outside the boundaries of the forum to control sales. I was ranting about how unfair it is when someone doesn't prioritize, that's all. It seemed to me that I got to him first. His message wasn't clear enough, except that someone is coming to view the bike today.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Si wrote: the forum can't control this

you're right - mods don't have any duty to enforce a set of unwritten and un-agreed rules.

this stuff has got real nasty in the past, was it a saddle bag?

anyway, OP....mostly it goes well - if you want an item, place a wanted ad.
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

I feel guilty for opening this thread. So gonna stop posting here.
Just to note, if I sell something I will try to be as fair as possible, not favoring certain buyers because it is more convenient for me.
horizon

Post by horizon »

ara-the-bird wrote:I feel guilty for opening this thread. So gonna stop posting here.
Just to note, if I sell something I will try to be as fair as possible, not favoring certain buyers because it is more convenient for me.

Don't feel guilty ara - this is a good place to vent some feelings. We may not agree you have a "case" but most of us share your feelings - we've most likely "been there" ourselves. Do rant and do tell us how you get on - believe it or not some of us follow the "stories" on here and it's good to know how things turn out.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
random37

Post by random37 »

Malaconotus wrote:I disagree that it is 'fair enough' if the others offered more than the asking price. The asking price is the asking price and if you are first to offer it I think you're entitled to expect to conculde the deal. It's the same as gazumping, and I think most people thought that unethical (if understandable given the market and the sums involved)

But it is!

Personally, if someone offered me more than my asking price for something it wouldn't follow through that I'd sell it to them. But if someone else chooses to, that's their business.

There may also be another reason. Perhaps they're selling it to their long lost friend. Perhaps it's the person that's offering to come and collect it this afternoon will pay cash as opposed to PayPal. Again, their business.

I have had nightmare times with sellers. One bloke on another forum asked me to post him a pair of wheels, promising to send a cheque for them when he got paid next month. I might have gone along with this, but when I asked him to post a message to the board saying that was what he'd do, he sent a message asking why I didn't trust him. Bear in mind this was after posting a message to my thread saying he would take them, so no-one else looked.

With businesses, of course, this all goes out the window. The unwary should be protected from unscrupulous businesses (even though they usually aren't). But the For Sale section isn't for businesses; it's supposed to be like the adverts in the club magazines. Everyone on this forum should basically be nice to each other; beyond that, it must be a case of caveat emptor.

And ara-the-bird, please don't feel as though I'm picking on you, or dismissing what you say. I know it can be really disappointing to miss out on something, but trust me when I say the right thing will come along eventually. Don't give up! 8)
irc

Post by irc »

ara-the-bird wrote:the fact is, I didn't get any reply until this morning, saying someone else is buying it.

This is what happens when someone registers and their first post is in sale section. some forums have minimum of 20 posts and 5 threads before u can advertise.

Someone who registers to use the For Sale section has also possibly advertised the bike elsewhere. So first reply here may not be first. I think it is bad manners to advertise on different forums at the same time as it can lead to the sort of situation we have here.

As this bike was also posted on Gumtree it is possible the seller got a local buyer who was preferred in order to keep delivery/collection quick and simple.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/thorn ... d/79259306

Obviously the seller can sell to anyone. In my case I would, if using this forum, give it a week or so here before posting elsewhere.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
horizon

Post by horizon »

irc: I agree. I lost a tent on here because it had been ebayed without an announcement - I forgave the seller! But generally it's excellent - sales are often from regular members and there's a lot of trust.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Yes I think that sales should be conducted in the thread rather than PM until the sale is agreed and personal details need to be exchanged.
I replied first to a 'for sale' item a while ago with a definite intention to buy but with a supplementary question about postage. Someone subsequently posted a "You have PM" message to the seller, and I did not get a reply to my in-thread response. I subsequently PM'd the seller and was told that someone had already offered the asking price (presumably the person who had PM'd).