Most Beautiful Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Greybeard

Re: Most Beautiful Bike

Post by Greybeard »

Mark R wrote:One mans vinegar is another man's wine, but I really, really want a Pedersen.

How about these two fine bottles of velo-wine?
1907 and awaiting a restoration
if you prefer a 1993 version - fantastically comfortable - I do have a choice from 1890 to 2009 and I love 'em all
even this one :wink:

Steve (wot needs an 'obby that takes up less space :oops: )
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i like shrek (the green R20). it's a great bike, a great colour and great to ride.
but it's never going to be...

Jonty wrote:the most beautiful bike in the world?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Graham thinks it is - but won't admit it in public :wink:
Steve
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You lot are all only thinking about the looks of a bike, surely thats only half of the "picture" and for some not even half.
The prove of the pudding is in the eating,unless the pudding is only to be gawked at :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

spark303 wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:the most beautiful bike certainly won't be equipped with dangly, crude gears.
it's also going to have the traditional form of 1" & 1 1/8" tubes. preferably metallic paint
it'll have to have a brooks saddle

and for the odd ones amongst you whose favourite colour isn't blue

These would all be contenders for me, bit I'd have to say that for me the most beautiful bike is an F frame Moulton.

Gavin

I agree that the Vintage F frame Moulton is a lovely looking bike and so evocative of the swinging 'sixties.
I bought a Moulton Mark 2 from ebay recently in excellent condition with the original SA 4 speed hub. Unfortunately I haven't been able to master putting photos of my bikes onto this forum.
In fact it looked so new I thought it could be a copy.
The only problem I've had with it was engaging first gear but after advice from hubgearfreak and others it's working perfectly. The hub and trigger were made in December 1965 and the bike at Kirby in 1966.
About 15 years ago it had new rims, brakes, bars, cables, saddle and pedals but all are in keeping.
I top the hub up with 4 stroke mineral lawnmower oil.
Apart from my other 2 Moultons the other bike I have which I think is a very attractive bike is a Hewitt SE. It also so smooth to ride.
The other two Moultons are are a dark blue TSR 30 Tour and a stunning red TSR 27.
Since retiring I've decided to spend my kids' inheritance so I'm relatively money-rich and absolutely skill-poor, so I have to go for new bikes or bikes which someone else has renovated/improved.
I don't think I'll get anymore although I do fancy a Moulton Mini.
jonty
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Hubgearfreak:-you two must be kidding :lol:

do you honestly prefer the look of them to how mike's (the middle, dark blue one) looks?

Yep I for one honestly do.SMGT is simply gorgeous.And very fast and comfy.
And If you look under "pictures of your bike(s)" you'll see that I also own a lovely blue Raleigh.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

reohn2 wrote:You lot are all only thinking about the looks of a bike, surely thats only half of the "picture" and for some not even half.

you're right. that's why i've pictured those three. whether i was going on a hundred mile bike ride, or could only have one bike, it'd be that red raleigh.
if i wasn't a lanky git, i'd go for either of the other two (but fit a cottered chainset :P )
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Jonty wrote:I top the hub up with 4 stroke mineral lawnmower oil.

graham will approve :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:You lot are all only thinking about the looks of a bike, surely thats only half of the "picture" and for some not even half.
The prove of the pudding is in the eating,unless the pudding is only to be gawked at :)

I quite agree. Something that looks good and works well. For me that's the classic 10 gear steel framed racing bike - the sort that ruled the roost from around 1950 to 1985, and of course having the right rider completes the picture. It's also why I've just bought a barely used Peugeot PX10.

Something like Coppi's Bianchi.

Or Anquetil's Anquetil Image

Or if you prefer something a bit more brutal
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

same sort of thing as my old one? :D ? it was very nice, but not as nice looking or as nice to ride as the red one pistured upthread

pete75

Post by pete75 »

Crikey you have your seat set low! No it's different to that - pearl white, Stronglight 106 chainset , Simplex SLJ - all alloy rear derailleur, side pull brakes. Oh and of course it looks better than any bike which has it's gears in a bean can :-)
Last edited by pete75 on 12 Mar 2011, 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, but nothing has really come close.
Bike.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

pete75 wrote:Crikey you have your seat set low!

no, the pic's from the chap i bought it from
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The point is still missed by some.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Nope, sorry, going to have to disallow this one from the beautiful bikes compo - valve caps don't match.