Small tyres and tubes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bodach

Small tyres and tubes

Post by bodach »

I have just got from a skip a Raleigh Stowaway in reasonable condition all round except for tyres and tubes which are completely shot. These are 37 x 451 and are now out of date I am told. Anybody know of any mail order possibilities. They are also described as 20 x 1 3/8 but all "20 inch" tyres I have seen so far are too small diameter and are for 406 rims I believe. If I cannot get tyres and tubes then I am afraid it is back to the skip which would be a great shame for an otherwise workable bike.
meic

Re: Small tyres and tubes

Post by meic »

No they are certainly available, in fact I can sell you a pair of innertubes that I bought as they said 406 or 451 but are actually 451 and Schwalbe expect you to fold them over on a 406. :evil:

I have failed to buy tyres from CRC because the web page contradicted itself or the manufacturers about which size they really were.

Try West Country Recumbents, I got tyres from there cheap.

http://www.wrhpv.com/tyres/451/index.html

I like the Duranos, I think I bought the inner tubes here too.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Afaik, It's a size which was originally made in a basic soert of quality for Raleigh Shoppers and was then used for recumbents, with something of an improvement in quality. I think it's also a wheelchair size.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

always worth a look for those parts that bike shops can't (be bothered to) get anymore
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-20-%28 ... pt195_pg1/
bodach

Post by bodach »

Thanks all. Just placed order with sjs.Did not think of them before. Thanks for offer meic.PM me with details of price plus postage and when I suss system out again I will get back to you with where to send them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Don't go to CRC for 20" stuff, they don't seem to appreciate the difference.

SJS are fine, WCR are fine.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.