Sore Bum

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
runat

Re: Sore Bum

Post by runat »

Jonty wrote:Seriously, toughen up your buttocks and other major muscle groups by tensing the muscles and bashing them quickly with closed fists or open hands like rapid and sustained karate chops.
Do it for 5 minutes twice a day.
Martial arts enthuiasts do this and it works. It toughens and strengthens muscles and bones and gets rid of fat.
jonty

Are you serious, this helps?! It sounds almost like you're trying to pull our leg :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A few things come across in your post.
1. Tandem stoker
2. Getting worse over last 2 years.

Have you always stoked tandem and are you using the same saddle, have you recently switched from solo riding to riding tandem.
What is different with your position on the solo to the tandem.

Are you male or female and lastly where is the soreness? that might sound like a daft question but from chatting to others the soreness can be bruised ischial tuberosities (the bony bit you sit on) or further forward; perineum or, if female + dare I even mention the word, the softer parts and or/the clitoral region.

Obvious things to check;
Shorts
Position
Saddle
Bacteria
If female there is a rare condition where the skin in this region becomes very thin, I don't recall the name but I know someone was asking about it on here a year or two back.

If you are developing sores the last but one is quite a key point, you may have something else going on that is causing sores to develop.
I always soak shorts in napisan before washing. You might need antiseptic creams or a trip to the doc for a course of antibiotics to clear up an infection.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
horizon

Post by horizon »

eileithyia wrote:A few things come across in your post.
1. Tandem stoker
2. Getting worse over last 2 years.

Have you always stoked tandem and are you using the same saddle, have you recently switched from solo riding to riding tandem.
What is different with your position on the solo to the tandem.

Agreed - this wasn't made clear. Bouncy saddles (springs, suspension etc) are great but only help with the bumps.

Are we looking at (a) bumping (b) skin chafing (c) pressure bruising?

I am not a doctor but the answer to (b) and (c) isn't a spring. Generally the answer is slow adaption (the skin and flesh becomes stronger) unless there is another specific problem. For that reason, I would also have thought that changing saddles is the problem, not the solution.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Dr.Doo

Post by Dr.Doo »

Jonty wrote:Another option is to condition your buttocks by having them gently beaten. :oops:
An officer's cane covered in leather is excellent.
jonty

A pair of smoked dragon canes are rather good implements for this job. I can confirm that this method does indeed give the recipient the hide of a rhino after a number of 'conditioning' sessions. :lol: