Taking Brompton on a Train

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Littgull

Taking Brompton on a Train

Post by Littgull »

Can anyone advise me on the following please:

I have a Brompton which I will be taking on a train for the first time in February when I visit my son in London. He is hiring out a Brommie and we are going on a 2 day pub crawl tour in Sussex.

My question is where exactly on the train is it best to put the folded up Brompton taking into account security, and not obstructing anybody? I was on a train at the weekend (without the Brompton), the train was quite packed and I got to thinking that it will be too obstructive to put it next to my legs in the seat area and too worrying to put it folded up and out of sight in the suitcase luggage rack. Is the best place to store it on the up and over bag rack above the seating and will it be stable from falling off if located there?

The train will be Manchester to Euston and will probably be packed.

Thanks in anticipation of the normal good advice.
fimm

Re: Taking Brompton on a Train

Post by fimm »

I take my Brompton on a train most days as part of my commute. I put it on the luggage rack as I would a suitcase, and then sit where I can keep half an eye on it. It is really too big to go at your feet, and I would certainly not put it on the overhead rack - it is too big and heavy and would cause serious damage if it fell off (even if you could get it up there - on the trains I use, I don't think it would fit).

I should add that the trains I use are not usually very busy, which does make things easier.
Of course it's a race...
awparker

Post by awparker »

There is no easy answer to this as there are so many layouts of facilities on each train but the concept of treating a folded Brompton as a (large) suitcase is sound.

Over the last couple of years I have traveled on a fair variety of trains and have had no problems using the following guidelines:

1) Have the bike folded well in advance and ensure that the seatpost is fully down thus locking the bike in the folded position.

2) Personally I always cover the bike with one of the purpose designed bike bags sold by Brompton (and others). This ensures that rarely is it recognized as a bike and to be sociable on a crowded train all mud/oil/dirty parts will not come into contact with other traveler's clothes or possessions.

3) First place to look to store the bike on a train is in the luggage rack hopefully near the door at which you get on and if not then between the seats depending on the coach design. In a luggage rack I generally try to lay the bike on its side unless I can wedge it upright as the folded bike is not too stable and can fall over with a bit of a crash. I would agree that the overhead racks are too small for safety.

Hope this helps

Alan
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Aa above, use the luggage rack, but if you wish a "Cafe lock" can give a little extra security

Something as simple as this locking the two bikes together and making them difficult to handle, or locking to a luggage rack. It won't stop a "proper thief", but it will prevent a sneaky opportunist carrying it off.
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

Many thanks for advice all of you. You've definately convinced me that the 'suitcase' luggage rack is best with a seat position that can keep the occasional eye on it. I like the idea of the cafe lock and will get one of those.

I agree that putting the bike in the brompton bag (I've got one of those) is a good idea. But my only query is where do you put or carry such a big bag when cycling? I will have the purpose made brompton bag at the front with all my luggage in it but even if empty the folded up bike bag would be too big for that.
awparker

Post by awparker »

I think we may be talking about two different covers and bags here.

There is the B bag which is a large padded bag a type I have used only when traveling by air. It adds slightly to the size of the folded bike but even when containing clothes etc for additional padding and so the previous advice about luggage racks still stands.

I actually use a similar bag from Carradice:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=89

Then there is a cover which is thin and open bottom and which when not in use slips in to its own bag attached to the Brompton's saddle. This can be seen on page 18/19 of the 2011 Bromton brochure at

http://www.brompton.co.uk/brochure/

Hope this may clarify

Alan
Quaker Mike

Post by Quaker Mike »

I use a folding bike rucksack - can't remember who made it, but Carradice do one. The advantage is that wearing it gives me a free hand when the bike's in it, and I can put my overnight bag in it when I take the bike out to ride to wherever.
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

A couple of great recommends there Alan and Quaker. I will follow up on these.

Many thanks.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I've just recently got a Brompton for my daughter. I haven't any experience of them on a train or otherwise but I joined the Yahoo Brompton Forum and received lots of advice before buying.
As other more knowledgeable Bromtonites have said in posts above there are a number of different bags. There's the litle bag which fits into the saddlebag. This is light and offers little protection but it seems it can be useful to cover a Brompton and show that it's luggage rather than a bike. I've got her one of these and according to responses on the Yahoo forum many people find them sufficient on trains. However they do not cover the bike completely and as others have said a lock with a long loop can secure the bike to the rail on the luggage place on the train when partially covered by this bag.
I also got her a Transport bag in order to provide greater protection and to completely conceal the fact that a bike is being carried in the bag.
I deliberately didn't go for the B bag because it says Brompton on it and it is therefore obvious that there's likely to be a bicycle inside it. I tried to order a Carradice travel bag but they are not available at present. The alternative I went for is the B&W folding bike transport bag. I'm impressed with it - its big enough, quite strong material and has handles and a shoulder strap but it doesn't have wheels like the B bag. Most importantly it doesn't have Brompton written on the side of it.
This can be folded up and carried on the rear rack as can the B bag and Carradice bag, once they start making them the latter again.
jonty
boyscout1957

Post by boyscout1957 »

I travel all over the country via train with Brompton in one hand and either a front T bag occasionally a rear rackbag or a city trailer.

First thing to note is your route from Manchester to Euston. If you are travelling with Virgin be aware the suitcase racks are very small on the pendolino trains and are located both by the doors and in the middle of the carriage. If you are lucky you'll get space in the rack near the door. Best position for a brompton is near the disabled toilet, there is plenty of unused space on these trains by the toilets. I agree that you should lock your bike to the rack, I always do this, there are known thieves operating at mainline stations who are apt to pop onto the train just before it goes and grab what they can.

I don't bother with a bike cover, I find it doesn't add any value.