Does anyone understand the new citreon c4 advert?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
essexman

Does anyone understand the new citreon c4 advert?

Post by essexman »

I've just seen it. A streetful of cool hipster cyclitsts follow this C4 because its soooo cool! :?: :?
I hate snow.
531colin

Re: Does anyone understand the new citreon c4 advert?

Post by 531colin »

essexman wrote:I've just seen it. A streetful of cool hipster cyclitsts follow this C4 because its soooo cool! :?: :?

Nah, they are chasing the motorist who cut them up!
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Yeh I get it 'on so many levels' :)
1st look cyclists you can ditch your bit of rubbish and buy the new non-polluting car - you dont have to slum it any more.
2nd Look cyclists I'm like you - can I be your friend and we can all share the road together, except I'm in front of you because I'm in a car.
3rd Follow me cyclists I will show you how easy life can be and I can even park in cheaper car parking now 'cause ConDem have lowered car parking charges to end the war on motorists :roll: Just wait till Theresa May gets my letter I can tell you! :roll:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was all set to say I couldn't work it out, then I saw the ad I had thought you were talking about and it's for a Renault Mégane. That's me, the advertizer's dream. Not. :lol:
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Biscuit wrote:3rd Follow me cyclists I will show you how easy life can be and I can even park in cheaper car parking now 'cause ConDem have lowered car parking charges to end the war on motorists :roll: Just wait till Theresa May gets my letter I can tell you! :roll:

Well the war on terror hasn't stopped terrorism, quite the opposite.

Once the roads are all clogged up with traffic due to lots of bad parking and people leaving the trains I'm sure many motorists will be pleased for cyclists to show them a better way.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Perhaps it means....
Be a part of the Citroen C4 world. Where the road ahead of you is empty and the enviromentalists are envious of your green credentials.

Nah! I dont understand it either and I own a Citroen C2.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

gilesjuk wrote:I'm sure many motorists will be pleased for cyclists to show them a better way.

When was the last time you saw a motorist who was pleased to see a cyclist? :P
E25
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Are Citroen adverts supposed to make sense?

The advert has worked, even people who would not contemplate owning one of that make are writing about the car :roll: :oops:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

Are they saying that the Citroen C4 is so unreliable you need all of those cyclists following you to tow the car when it breaks down.

Have they mispelled "Citroen" they have an "e" in the name....... think about that in French!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

It's misleading without saying anything misrepresentative that could be legally challenged. Clever marketing especially as you can buy the VW Passat 1.6hdi that does virtually the same mpg/CO2 emissions and is by far a better car.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

And the Skoda Octavia 1.6 tdi which is better still and costs loads less money .To make you feel even better Skoda are also massive sponsors of cycle sport!

Now whose goingto be the first to grumble about all those cars trailing in the wake of the peleton.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

steady eddy wrote:And the Skoda Octavia 1.6 tdi which is better still and costs loads less money .To make you feel even better Skoda are also massive sponsors of cycle sport!

Now whose goingto be the first to grumble about all those cars trailing in the wake of the peleton.

I always wondered what were the odds of ALL the team suffering catastrophic failures on the same stage that so many bikes needed to be carried. When in France 2 years ago Skoda sponsored the Tour de Picardie which we watched a stage finish, freebies handed out left , right & centre...lol. Links to certain activities often ends in positive marketing results.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Edwards wrote:Are Citroen adverts supposed to make sense?

The advert has worked, even people who would not contemplate owning one of that make are writing about the car :roll: :oops:

No it hasnt - I'm making statements of irony (?) and I certainly aint buying! Talking maybe..... but not buying. :) Ever.

Thats the weird thing about advertising there is a significant proportion of people that it doesnt work with who just talk about the ads........obviously for some it works. I'm not convinced I've bought anything down to advertising full stop. It may have helped a small proportion so I guess in that sense it has worked. But I am not convinced I have bought anything in my life I have 'seen on telly', or on a poster and bought it. I may be fooling myself though :?

Advertising is a bit like working in HR..........and in the department of clothing for emperors (sorry for all those who do that, I have a very low opinion of HR and PR, advertising, IT 'support'......)

Anyway Iv'e got an old Renault to run into the ground yet obviously till its ecologically unsound to continue to do so!
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Admans job done. We're all talking about the product
Neil
Si

Post by Si »

Loads of car adverts now feature bikes (even, shock-horror, BMWs and 4*4s). Sure, they are taking advantage of bikes to sell cars, but I like to think that the side effect is that they are also making cycling look cool and attractive to those that are interested in new cars. In none of the recent adverts that I've seen do they portray cycling in a bad light - rather it is shown as something good to be associated with, hence it's inclusion in the adverts.

Likewise, many adverts for 'health' products or foods also include clips of cycling as cycling is increasingly being seen as good and healthy.

The fact that those who _some_ cyclists see as their worst enemies (I mean the car industry not health food sellers) are now giving the impression of acceptance towards cycling is a good thing is it not (even if their motives are otherwise aimed)?

On a different tangent - that Audi Spyder(?) advert - the one where the white sports car is dodging in and out of the hotrods......is it just me or would anyone much rather have one of the 'rods than the 'orrid jelly mould Audi thing?