dawes bicycle identification

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
john.newell

dawes bicycle identification

Post by john.newell »

hello,
can anyone help me with more information on a bike based on what looks like a dawes galaxy frame but with unicrown forks?
with 531st stikers on frame and fork blades and the legend of "dawes mean street" on the frame.
it looks like a '90s bike but I am sure someone out there knows all about them.
thanks
john_n
TwoWheelsGood

Re: dawes bicycle identification

Post by TwoWheelsGood »

I occasionally see a Dawes Mean Street parked locally (the frame is a very dark green colour). It's a good quality hybrid (hence the fork style) with 700c wheels, and from memory was the best model in the Dawes hybrid range at the time (early 1990s) so it was equipped with good quality components.

A picture may help someone to identify it better :)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I don't know anything of the bike, but if it is 531ST that will be a plus, although it will probably be main tubes only I suspect. Even back then british built Dawes frames would be allied to far east made uni-crown forks. I see that Dawes still sell a Mean Treet bike with 26" wheels.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'm going to line up in agreement with TwoWheelsGood.

Early 1990's Dawes catalogues included a range of Mean Street hybrids. IIRC the Mean Street 531ST frame and fork were the same as the ones used on the Galaxy/Super Galaxy. The main difference between the hybrids and touring models was flat bars and shifters on the hybrids. I cannot recall whether the hybrids had mudguards and racks fitted.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

gaz wrote:I'm going to line up in agreement with TwoWheelsGood.

Early 1990's Dawes catalogues included a range of Mean Street hybrids. IIRC the Mean Street 531ST frame and fork were the same as the ones used on the Galaxy/Super Galaxy. The main difference between the hybrids and touring models was flat bars and shifters on the hybrids. I cannot recall whether the hybrids had mudguards and racks fitted.

But you'd be mistaken to consider the two models both had the same forks, when the Gal has always had cast crown forks (brum made) and the Mean Street had uni-crown forks. Peter Bird (ex Dawes chief) told me the uni-crown's were usually bought in from the far east, even back then.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Oldest catalogue I can find on-line is for 1993. The 531ST Mean Street is on page 8 with a Unicrown fork.

I'll bow down to CRPELLO's greater knowledge. My memory has always been a dangerous place to go searching for facts. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

gaz wrote:Oldest catalogue I can find on-line is for 1993. The 531ST Mean Street is on page 8 with a Unicrown fork.

I'll bow down to CRPELLO's greater knowledge. My memory has always been a dangerous place to go searching for facts. :wink:

Interesting catalogue that. It does indeed show a Galaxy with uni-crown forks. But this appears to be a German, sorry, Dutch catalogue and the Galaxy is shown to come equipped with a brazed on fork dynamo, so this is a German model. I'm not aware that British specced Gal's were sold with uni-crowns, nor dynamo's, except the odd second, where the original fork had been swapped. Oh, and tandems have used uni-crowns for some time.
TwoWheelsGood

Post by TwoWheelsGood »

gaz wrote:Oldest catalogue I can find on-line is for 1993. The 531ST Mean Street is on page 8 with a Unicrown fork.

The Mean Street I've seen locally has different graphics ('DAWES' in red capitals on the downtube, from memory) at least when compared to the one shown in the Dutch catalogue but is the same colour, although of course export models could have used different transfer graphics. My comment about the fork was just an assumption as opposed to hard fact :)
john.newell

Post by john.newell »

thanks for the information everyone. the brochure was interesting too.
The frame appears identical to a Dawes Galaxy that I know of from about the same era. Everything apart from the forks of course. The paint finish on the Mean street appears to be thicker.
In terms of worth, I would suppose that true Galaxy is higher because of the name.
Was the Mean street ever sold in the UK?
thanks
john_n
random37

Post by random37 »

IIRC it has different geometry to a Galaxy. Different top tube, and tighter angles. It's a hybrid, designed for flat bars and not so much luggage.

Nice for going to work though.
dr nosh

Post by dr nosh »

I still have the Dawes brochure 'on file' from early 90's.

I bought the 501 framed 'on-off road' model, mid range at the time and I still have it - Original front and rear mech, original rims, original cables - And still in good working order/condition - Have I had my moneys worth from this purchase - Yes, Yes and Yes.
Group set is Shimano CX400, Rigida grey/black rims, s/s spokes, Compact chain set with Hyperglide HG70 (I think).
Paintwork is exceptional.

Has been and still is a very good machine for commuting and winter riding.

Will dig out the brochure and copy it for you.

Happy New Year.
Ride It Like you stole It
torrens

Post by torrens »

I've got one of these! Bought her new in 1994 for iirc £650, gulp! She's still going strong and I use her for my daily commute. I'm on 3rd set of wheels and I've replaced the bb twice, cassettes and chains and chainrings as needed. Original lovely hset still perfect.

Some frame corrosion in bb area but still seems solid.
Rides v well but she's always been heavy, think I weighed her at 32lbs.
Winter 2010/2011 I fitted Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres (240 carbide studs each) and manged to climb White Horse Bank (NY Moors 1 in 4) on sheet ice. Had to stay in the saddle mind!

I love her v much, I'll never sell her (well i might for silly money!) She's as elegant in her own way as my Durace equipped carbon Madone!