Shoe lace ends...how to finish?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )

Moderators: Si, Graham, Vorpal, Spam Busters

Shoe lace ends...how to finish?

Postby CREPELLO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Does anyone know how to finish the ends of shoe laces that have been cut short? You know how quite often laces are often too long and especially with cycling shoes, the laces can end up rubbing the chain/set, even getting caught.

So is there a good neat way of finishing cut shoe laces, that is neater than rolling them in super glue or melting the ends? Is there a widget that can do the job properly? If there isn't, the person that can invent one could be a very rich person.

Right, I'm off to the workshop :wink:
CREPELLO

Re: Shoe lace ends...how to finish?

Postby meic » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Mine are finished with sellotape, They have held together for years now!
Yma o Hyd
meic

Postby yakdiver » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Heat shrink tubing
Alias Numbnuts
yakdiver

Postby 531colin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Electricians heat shrink tube?
Preferably in smaller quantities than this..http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73997/Electrical-Supplies/Cable-Accessories/Cable-Covers/Cut-Piece-Heat-Shrink-Kit-Box-186Pcs
Havnt tried it, mine are melted, if they melt, or knotted if they dont melt.

Brake cable end crimps are too small, but its an approach.....

How about these....http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75317/Electrical-Supplies/Cable-Accessories/Crimps-Terminals/Crimp-Blue-Butt-Pack-of-100....only in blue or red, unfortunately

PS its raining here....can you tell?
A work in progress....Tracks in the Dales etc....photographic index...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/
531colin

Postby reohn2 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:53 pm

They'l be most likely nylon or something similar,so try melting the ends with match or lighter.I've done this on numerous laces over the years and it works a treat.
You don't pull no punches,but you don't push the river.
Van Morrison
reohn2

Postby ChrisButch » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:54 pm

If they're made of a synthetic material (as they probably are), the easiest way to seal the end is the method used for climbing ropes - apply a match or lighter to the end surface until it melts. It should then cool to a hard blob of plastic.
ChrisButch

Postby Mick F » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:04 pm

PVC tape.
You can get it in different colours too!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Abu Milhem » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 pm

The technical term for the tubes of plastic/metal that laces end in are called 'aiglets'. Finding replacements or new stock is very difficult. You could try Twistlink in Nuneaton (website under construction) but I am sure they are trade only. Laces with CTC logotype woven into them anyone? My favourites are burning and shaping when hot or heatshrink but the latter is not really stiff enough for relacing (you don't polish your black leather touring shoes once a fortnight? Shame!). Crimping brass/aluminium tube with a pair of side cutters is best but I rarely find this material except as scrap/salvage. You are right, though. Selling simple shoelace kits with unaigletted ends for use with a pair of pliers would certainly attract me as I do go through a lot of laces. The aftermarket is very poorly served these days. God, why am I writing all this? I must be mad.

CREPELLO wrote:Does anyone know how to finish the ends of shoe laces that have been cut short? You know how quite often laces are often too long and especially with cycling shoes, the laces can end up rubbing the chain/set, even getting caught.

So is there a good neat way of finishing cut shoe laces, that is neater than rolling them in super glue or melting the ends? Is there a widget that can do the job properly? If there isn't, the person that can invent one could be a very rich person.

Right, I'm off to the workshop :wink:
Abu Milhem

Postby CREPELLO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Abu Milhem wrote:Crimping brass/aluminium tube with a pair of side cutters is best but I rarely find this material except as scrap/salvage.
Brass and alu tubing is available from good model/engineering shops - I've got loads :D .Thanks for the tip; think I'll give that one a go.
CREPELLO

Postby Cunobelin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Abu Milhem wrote:The technical term for the tubes of plastic/metal that laces end in are called 'aiglets'.

Almost the most important piece of information I have found since discovering that the nobbly coated liquorice allsorts are called "Spogs"!
Cunobelin

Postby Abu Milhem » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Almost the most important piece of information I have found since discovering that the nobbly coated liquorice allsorts are called "Spogs"![/quote]

I'm ashamed to admit that I found a website on the subject of laces where I found this nugget of information and subsequently saw it arise as a recent question in the current series of 'Mastermind'. But then you see I have always been attracted by stunningly useless but utterly precise bits of information
Abu Milhem

Postby mr riff raff » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Buy shoes with velcro straps?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
mr riff raff

Postby Greybeard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

ChrisButch wrote:apply a match or lighter to the end surface until it melts

You can always rely on the good old 'butane backsplice' :wink:
Greybeard

Postby thirdcrank » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Cunobelin wrote:
Abu Milhem wrote:The technical term for the tubes of plastic/metal that laces end in are called 'aiglets'.

Almost the most important piece of information I have found since discovering that the nobbly coated liquorice allsorts are called "Spogs"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiguillette

I don't think those chaps use them on cycling shoes although I imagine the piece contains some urban myths. Anyway, aiguillette is the diminutive of the French aiguille - a needle.

(And around here, spogs is a general term for sweets, although a quick google seems to support the liqorice allsorts nomenclature.) :mrgreen:
=================================================
Edited to add: Oh the joys of the internet. You can find anything if you google the right word. Aiguillettes has been corrupted to aglets in English, and somebody here knows all about them except a good source for buying them.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/aglets.htm

"This year I'll be wearing sellotape aglets." :wink:
thirdcrank

Postby eileithyia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 am

Dipping them in clear nail varnish also works :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Next

Return to Does anyone know … ?