What's the best budget mountain bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
random37

Re: What's the best budget mountain bike?

Post by random37 »

Andy_M wrote:The lower end GT, specialized and Trek bikes (or Boardman for that matter) are far from mediocre, there is very little that you couldn't ride on them, it just might take you a bit longer.

They're all acceptable, but none of them are anything special. If you want a bike that is notably better than what you have now, spend more money.

I think something like an Orange P7 or a Rocky Mountain Blizzard would be nice; you'll not get change from £1000 for a new one, but you'd get a really good secondhand one for less than half that.

If you want something at the level of a new £500 bike, just get some slightly better parts for the bike you have now.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I would also say secondhand. BUT, you've got to know how to assess chainwear, chainwheel wear and so on to assess the bike.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I think anyone can build up a singlespeed :D

At least you get exactly what you want, frame and parts.
Si

Post by Si »

gilesjuk wrote:I think anyone can build up a singlespeed :D

oo, I don't know....you'd be surprised at some of the heath robinson jobs that I've seen fall apart on their first rides
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Si wrote:oo, I don't know....you'd be surprised at some of the heath robinson jobs that I've seen fall apart on their first rides

Indeed, we seem to have more problems with singlespeeds on our rides than gears. I think it's due to the nature of the parts, people salvage and reuse old bits. Worn chainrings, old mechs (for tensioning) and cheap chain. The drivechain is under more stress when singlespeeding and so you can't get away with any old rubbish.

But if you build from scratch you can at least get a frame that is singlespeed or geared compatible.

On one do lots of singlespeed frames that also accept gears, the builds seem pricey but I imagine it's solid stuff. You're getting decent brakes and wheels.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO26IN1SG/inbred-26er-1sg