cold feet....

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sixty5bri

cold feet....

Post by sixty5bri »

Hi

I've been out today for a ride, forty miles but after just a short while my feet got very cold.

I suffer terribly with cold feet, I wear Shimano Boots ( in this weather) and merino wool socks but does anyone have advice about how to keep my feet warm.

What methods/footwear combinations do you all use ?

I wait with anticipation.
Raleigh Equipe (refurbished with shimano 105 bits)
Falcon 531 tubes (refurbished as a single speed)
Cube Ltd Pro Mountain bike.
Dahon Jetstream p8

http://picasaweb.google.com/brian4922/MyBikes#5431719200092756306
hondated

Re: cold feet....

Post by hondated »

Hi I have got those Shimano boots and given the review I read on them prior to buying I am disappointed with how cold they get.To make them warmer I use Sealsinz socks.
meic

Post by meic »

3mm neoprene overboots, in my case from Mikedyason or is it now Inmotion.com
Yma o Hyd
PW

Post by PW »

The Northwave Celsius boots are warm, being Goretex lined they keep the water out too.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Big T

Post by Big T »

I wear hiking socks, then cycling shoes, then neoprene overshoes. My toes were a little cold at times today, but my feet were pretty warm most of the time. My son swears by Tesco bags between socks and shoes, then overshoes on top.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use Lake MXZ302 boots (available here), normal socks and no overshoes, and haven't had cold feet yet
Any footwear for cold weather should be a size bigger than normal. If you just put thicker socks in your normal shoes you will restrict the circulation and make matters worse.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

A thin pair of merino wool socks, plastic bags (carrier bag/sandwich bag), followed by an outer pair of thin socks
james01

Post by james01 »

andrew_s wrote:Any footwear for cold weather should be a size bigger than normal. If you just put thicker socks in your normal shoes you will restrict the circulation and make matters worse.

This is the key to cold weather dressing, it means you can start layering without constricting. There could be a case for swapping to old toe-clipped pedals for the duration of the cold weather so that you can wear some oversized non-cycling shoes.
bikegeek

Post by bikegeek »

"There's room for all of us on the road you know, you'll just have to take that bit of room behind me!"
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

bikegeek wrote:Try these...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=218156

Cheers, P

These are lovely, in theory! However, they only seem to be heated in the cenre, so won't really be much use for cold toes. Also the illustrated mains plug/ charger looks a little worrying for a battery operated device, as does the box contents list which seems to offer only one battery holder (ankles wired together?)
bikegeek

Post by bikegeek »

goatwarden wrote:

Cheers, P

These are lovely, in theory! However, they only seem to be heated in the cenre, so won't really be much use for cold toes. Also the illustrated mains plug/ charger looks a little worrying for a battery operated device, as does the box contents list which seems to offer only one battery holder (ankles wired together?)

Have used these myself for the last two winters. They work. All of your foot is warmed from underneath, esp. good for toes.
They run off 3 x AA cells per foot & I use rechargeables (2000mAh, good for 4hrs constant, longer if turned on for a bit, then off once you're warmed, then on when you've cooled, etc.).
They work in the wet. (don't expect 'em to dry out your wet socks, but they stop the stumpfoot feeling in the wet).
The batteries are contained in little pouches which attach to the leg/ankle with a comfortable velcro strap. (one per leg - ankles wired together? :roll: ).
All the gubbins can be hidden under your garments. I keep mine just under my overshoes so I can access the on/off switch. The cables are 16inches full stretch and are fitted with plugs for easy shoe removal.
They're a bit of a gimmick I know, but they do work & are much cheaper than the Sidi versions. If you've got poor circulation, or are out for hrs on end I'd recommend. Put 'em on inside your socks for even better warmth & ease of use.

Cheers, P.
Here's what I got in the box. Batteries not included.
Here's what I got in the box. Batteries not included.
Last edited by bikegeek on 1 Feb 2010, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's room for all of us on the road you know, you'll just have to take that bit of room behind me!"
sixty5bri

Post by sixty5bri »

bikegeek wrote:
goatwarden wrote:

Cheers, P

Have used these myself for the last two winters. They work. All of your foot is warmed from underneath, esp. good for toes.
They run off 3 x AA cells per foot & I use rechargeables (2000mAh, good for 4hrs constant, longer if turned on for a bit, then off once you're warmed, then on when you've cooled, etc.).
They work in the wet. (don't expect 'em to dry out your wet socks, but they stop the stumpfoot feeling in the wet).
The batteries are contained in little pouches which attach to the leg/ankle with a comfortable velcro strap. (one per leg - ankles wired together? :roll: ).
All the gubbins can be hidden under your garments. I keep mine just under my overshoes so I can access the on/off switch. The cables are 16inches full stretch and are fitted with plugs for easy shoe removal.
They're a bit of a gimmick I know, but they do work & are much cheaper than the Sidi versions. If you've got poor circulation, or are out for hrs on end I'd recommend. Put 'em on inside your socks for even better warmth & ease of use.

Cheers, P.

well for the price they seem to be worth a try, I'm off out to get some.

You can't beat an endorsment as far as I am concerned.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Raleigh Equipe (refurbished with shimano 105 bits)
Falcon 531 tubes (refurbished as a single speed)
Cube Ltd Pro Mountain bike.
Dahon Jetstream p8

http://picasaweb.google.com/brian4922/MyBikes#5431719200092756306
bikegeek

Post by bikegeek »

What you get for your money...
Copy of IMGP1660.JPG
groveller

Post by groveller »

To Quote the Fast show, "this season I has been mostly wearing Aldi socks and Overshoes".
I have suffered cold feet in the past but this winter no problems, I wish I'd bought a couple of pairs of each.
mike

Post by mike »

I wear thermal socks, sandwich bag, cycling shoes followed by a pair of neoprene over shoes. Seems to work best for me.