dog dazers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cyclingthelakes

Re: dog dazers

Post by cyclingthelakes »

I knew of a pesky dog, just once, I sprayed some of that pepper spray in his direction as I rode this way frequently and he got out of the way, it went into his yard, no fence but from then on, I think that deterred it. It's like the dog must have hated the smell of the stuff in that corner of the lawn. So I think the canines really hate the smell.

If you want too see and read something fascinating, they make a bear spray for people who might confront grizzly bears and other strong predators you might run into, wild. http://www.udap.com/ Someone once told me that would really be way too strong for a dog. I think it's got a lot of the same ingredients as dog spray but to a much higher level.

They make a pepper mix to mix in with birdseed I believe that the birds can eat but squirrels can not eat it.

I'm sure, there is a way to make your own spray, spray from a bottle if real important with pepper or other additives that would deter a dog. It just seems it'd be a hassle to carry along a little plastic bottle, dish washing soap size or something but if it was a real problem, maybe. I see someone suggested a water pistol on the first page, sounds reasonable.

I read the air horn post, I think that would be a good solution and our store sells them. I haven't really had a problem with dogs, I heard the old fashioned silent dog whistles effect dogs as well.

This past summer, late at night, I was riding, keeping the story short, across the road, this fellow was walking a pit bull late at night, those kinds of dogs are close to illegal and I wondered, why would someone be walking the dog at 9:30/10 pm at night, maybe he shouldn't have one and though across the road, that thing noticed me and did take a bit of a minor turn at me and the owner pulled him up right away. I almost felt like reporting the darn thing to the police so if something like this was happened frequently, I'd definitely arm myself with something and an air horn sounds good. I felt really vulnerable in that situation.

It sounds odd, I've read a lot on this subject, if you don't have anything, use the bike as a weapon. I know some of you have expensive rides but not moi :wink: by the way.
jawaka

Re: dog dazers

Post by jawaka »

I tested mine inthe bedroom to see if the batteries were still good and the poor cat leapt up about 3 feet in the air and took 10 minutes to recover. I've never used it on a dog: the problem is having to hand and getting to it in a hurry.