bikes on vehicles in Spain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Steve

bikes on vehicles in Spain

Post by Steve »

I've heard that rear mounted bike racks are no longer allowed on vehicles in Spain. As there's no other way to carry bikes on our camper van this would rule out Spain for holidays. Anyone have any info on this?
Steve S
mel

Re:bikes on vehicles in Spain

Post by mel »

"Spanish laws prohibit the carriage of any load on the back of cars, camper vans or caravans, which protrudes beyond either the length of the width of the carrying vehicle. It is therefore illegal to carry bicycles or mopeds on the backs of cars, camper vans or caravans. Bicycles can, however, be carried on the roof of a car provided they are safely secured. Both bicycles and mopeds should, if possible, be carried inside camper vans and/or caravans or in the panniers provided for the purpose in some makes of these types of vehicles. Spanish police may stop, and possibly fine , anyone caught not obeying this traffic regulation."

www.madridinsider.com/guppy/articles.php?lng=en&pg=27
mel

Post by mel »

When I had my campervan I carried my bikes inside and took them out and chained them up to the campervan when I wanted to use the van a bit of a pain. The Guardia Civil Trafico are much like our cops and usually have more important things to do than pull campers with bikes on, or cyclists without helmets, but they do have occasional purges, it's easy to put on a cycle helmet but not hide the bikes.
mel

Post by mel »

I spoke to my son who lives in Spain tonight and during the course of the conversation I mentioned the Law about Bikes on Cars, he said that Law only applies to Spanish vehicles and not to cars with foreign plates, he said he sees lots of foreign vehicles with bikes on the back....I've asked him to check with one of his Guardia Civil pals but he'll probably forget.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I am sure the police in Spain and the UK have lots in common including wearing very silly hats. When package holidays were first becoming popular in the 1960s a lot of British drunks found that laughing at the Spanish millinery was one way to get a quick flight home.
mel

Post by mel »

The 1960's, the good old days when General Franco was in charge.
longhaul

Post by longhaul »

If that's true, it's a complete bummer. Having said that, driving a British car in Spain I've flouted a lot of alleged laws related to stuff like adjusting headlights, compulsory use of a GB sticker and a number of others
mel

Post by mel »

I know the Spanish have laws regarding vehicles towing, the trailer/caravan has to be registered seperately and a warning triangle fixed to the front of the towing vehicle, etc. but this law doesn't apply to foreign vehicles/trailers spending less than 6 months in the country.
mel

Post by mel »

I just sent the following e-mail to the Spanish Tourist Office in London.

Hi,

Could you tell me if the following law applies to foreign vehicles travelling to Spain on holiday please, there are enquiries on the Cycle Tourist Club message-board about this?

http://www.ctcforum.org.uk/MesReplist.a ... 5&id=31282

"Spanish laws prohibit the carriage of any load on the back of cars, camper vans or caravans, which protrudes beyond either the length of the width of the carrying vehicle. It is therefore illegal to carry bicycles or mopeds on the backs of cars, camper vans or caravans. Bicycles can, however, be carried on the roof of a car provided they are safely secured. Both bicycles and mopeds should, if possible, be carried inside camper vans and/or caravans or in the panniers provided for the purpose in some makes of these types of vehicles. Spanish police may stop, and possibly fine , anyone caught not obeying this traffic regulation."

Much obliged - Melvyn