...about the history of Romany bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
McVouty

...about the history of Romany bikes?

Post by McVouty »

I have a Romany tourer (no. 870348) which I bought 2nd hand, but virtually unused, in 1990. I'm guessing that the 87 refers to the year it was made, but does anyone know what frame building shop made it? I assume that Madison, who I think owned the name then, didn't make their own.
McVouty

Re: ...about the history of Romany bikes?

Post by McVouty »

A bit of research has partially answered my own question. Revell* Romanys were sold by Freewheel and then perhaps Madison as their own brand during the 1980s (the guy I bought mine from worked for Madison). They were conventional Galaxy-type tourers, but not as well finished; I have read suggestions that the frames were made by Mercian and/or the Dave Yates & Joe Waugh M.Steel Cycles operation - mine certainly rides as if it's a cut above the ordinary. Orbit Romanys appeared in the 90s and some,maybe all of them, featured an offset rear triangle to avoid dishing the back wheel.

*Not to be confused with the present day Revell brand which sells stunt/BMX type bikeoid products.
Last edited by McVouty on 10 Jul 2011, 4:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

McVouty wrote: I have read suggestions that the frames were made by Mercian and/or the Dave Yates & Joe Waugh M.Steel Cycles operation

why not send detailed emails off to these? maybe they've got records, or recognise the frame number as one of theirs 8)
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

An update. Mercian have confirmed that they did make Romany frames in the 80s, and that they were not the only company to do so. I sent off some photos (which I'm not going to reproduce here because I'm so ashamed of the dirtiness of the bike after several wet and muddy commutes) but they haven't got back to me to say if my frame was one of theirs, nor have M.Steel Cycles. Actually I'm not that bothered, I'm just pleased to have my perception that Romany frames are a decent product - my bike has led a hard and varied life for nigh on 20 years - confirmed.
Robby

Post by Robby »

I have a Romany tourer purchased in '91 from one of the infamous Freewheel sales as a frame for £25 . It's 531c and has served as a winter bike ever since , fitted with a variety of components (mostly from the same sales) has always been a joy to ride . My understanding is that this particular frame was made by Nigel Dean , but I remember Freewheel had a close relationship with Mercian in the 80's sadly , I still have Freewheel catalogues from the 80's ! :D
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Mercian did get back to me, saying that the photos "looked like an early King [of Mercia]". So I'd say that's good enough for me, having looked at the illustation on their website...presumably KoMs were built to order to customers' measurements, but Romanys were produced to standard sizes.[Later] Dave Yates confirmed to me that that was the case, although it seems that custom options were available.