Runcorn Bridge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
garybaldy

Runcorn Bridge

Post by garybaldy »

Is it illegal to cycle across Runcorn Bridge?

Tried www.viamichelin.co.uk site and it routes me through Warrington.

I've even put in from "Runcorn to Widnes" and it still sends me along the river to Warrington and then back along the north side of the river, even though it's very much shorter to go across the bridge.

Any locals know?

Thanks
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I wouldn't cycle across it... Not sure about legality though.

There's a footpath to the side that all the cyclists I've ever seen crossing it have used - I'd go for that.
skytandem

Re: Runcorn Bridge

Post by skytandem »

We crossed it last summer on a LeJog - no problem at all.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

skytandem wrote:We crossed it last summer on a LeJog - no problem at all.

I think timing is everything - in the rushhour it's bedlam. Having said that I've never cycled across it so perhaps they all behave themselves when there's a cyclist.
robgul

Post by robgul »

kwackers wrote:
skytandem wrote:We crossed it last summer on a LeJog - no problem at all.

I think timing is everything - in the rushhour it's bedlam. Having said that I've never cycled across it so perhaps they all behave themselves when there's a cyclist.

I've been over it both ways - the bridge itself is fine because there is a separate path - the approaches are on the hard shoulder of a busy-ish road - no big deal and you can get off pretty quickly onto side roads

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Hastinger

Sustrans volunteer ranger knows answer.

Post by Hastinger »

HI, here's the 'definitive'. Am the volunteer ranger covering that part of what is currently known as NCN route 5 (we'll be re-numbering it soon, as part of a link between NCN route 5 and NCN route 62, so it'll be known as NCN route 562). We've worked very closely with the local council and have agreed to sign it as a pedestrian link across the separate footway that forms part of the bridge. However in practice, it has been used as a shared use footpath/cycleway for years, and the local council have even installed one of their automatic cycle counters on the path as it approaches the bridge to monitor usage. So whatever you do, DO NOT cycle on the main carriageway with motor vehicles, as this stretch of road is statistically the most dangerous in Cheshire I was told by a policeman once. The lanes are very narrow, it's a 40mph limit and there is no central barrier to separate traffic. In addition there are 2 lanes in each direction. That lot should put you off!
Runcorn has an extensive network of dedicated traffic-free cycle paths which make it possible to go from the start of the bridge to the outskirts of Runcorn without going on a road. There is a superb cycle path map of both Widnes and Runcorn available from the council (Halton Borough Council), can look at it on their website, I've got loads of copies too, so PM me for advice/map etc.
We are currently part way through signing the 'new' Runcorn loop cycleway (done half, taken 3 whole days.....), so check with me if you intend to use any of this. The cycleways are not new, they are just being better signed to encourage awareness/use. Hope all that helps, and spread the word - Runcorn is a great place to cycle!
cbgb

Post by cbgb »

I crossed it this morning from Runcorn to Widnes. I know the area well and approach the bridge from the Old town centre then on to the footpath. I wouldnt recommend using the main carrigeway as the lanes are narrow and lots of car drivers are nervous using the bridge at the best of times. You could be the best cyclist around but its out of your hands as cars will try to overtake you, mistakes will be made and the risk of an accident is much greater. Unfortunatly theres no other way over apart from the Trans Pennine Trail route (not suitable for road bikes)
NROWLEY

Runcorn Bridge - Halton BC Map

Post by NROWLEY »

The Runcorn-Widnes Bridge forms the only link across the River Mersey between Liverpool/Birkenhead to the west and Warrington to the east, and as such carries considerable amounts of traffic. It has 4 narrow lanes of counterflow traffic across the bridge roadway (2 lanes in each direction), and grade separated dual carriageway junctions at either side. There is a speed limit of 40mph on the carriageway, and plenty of lane swapping as traffic gets into lane across the bridge in preparation for the junctions on either side.

It is one of the least cycle-friendly designs, and is without doubt, one of the more risky roads on which to ever contemplate cycling.
However, the bridge has a cantilevered walkway on its easterly side. In practice, most if not all cyclists cycle across the bridge. It is a well used commuting route for pedestrians and cyclists (mostly the latter) crossing from one town to the other.

Strictly speaking, cycling is currently not permitted over the bridge walkway. However it forms part of the National Cycle Network (NCN) over the Mersey, albeit as a pedestrian link, and this NCN route links the Transpennine Trail (NCN 62) with NCN 5. The only downside is that strictly speaking, the bridge is a pedestrian link only. But arguably better this than having to go via Warrington.

My own view (expressed to Halton BC) is that the total quantum of risk associated with a cyclist using the 4 lane counterflow roadway is vastly greater than that for that same cyclist using the designated walkway.

By using the bridge a cyclist can gain ready access to the network of routes in Widnes and Runcorn and thus avoid the expressways that link to the Bridge. The route signing is improving thanks to the efforts of the Sustrans volunteers.

I don't know of the politics behind the decision not to permit cycling on the walkway, but I have seen that the Halton BC website shows plans for a second Mersey crossing, and the description of the benefits indicates that the current bridge will become a cycle crossing once the traffic has moved to the new bridge (if built). In the meantime, cyclists showing there to be a real need for a suitable crossing point would surely help in bringing about the necessary change to a full cycle route rather than a pedestrian only link. So please use this route.

A map is available from Halton BC which shows the status of the current network: http://www2.halton.gov.uk/publictranspo ... map?a=5441

Were I to recommend a straight forward crossing from Runcorn to Widnes, it would be by access to and from the bridge by using the network of cycle routes in Runcorn and Widnes, and by crossing the bridge by means of the walkway. Most people cycle across. I have never heard of any attempt to prevent a cyclist from cycling across. If you prefer the conscientious approach, then this will be a short walk across the pedestrian only section.

But please do not use the roadway!
thirdcrank

Re: Runcorn Bridge - Halton BC Map

Post by thirdcrank »

NROWLEY wrote:The Runcorn-Widnes Bridge forms the only link across the River Mersey between Liverpool/Birkenhead to the west and Warrington to the east,

To fans of Marriott Edgar (and I know there is at least one on here besides me :wink: ), I offer an alternative to the bridge:

RUNCORN FERRY

(Tuppence per person per trip.)

On the banks of the Mersey, over on Cheshire side,
Lies Runcorn that's best known to fame
By Transporter Bridge as tak's folks over its stream,
Or else brings 'em back across same.

In days afore Transporter Bridge were put up,
A ferryboat lay in the slip,
And old Ted the Boatman would row folks across
At per tuppence per person per trip.

Now Runcorn lay over on one side of stream,
And Widnes on t'other side stood,
And, as nobody wanted to go either place,
Well, the trade wasn't any too good.

One ev'ning, to Ted's superlative surprise,
Three customers came into view -
A Mister and Missus Ramsbottom it were,
And Albert, their little son, too.

"How much for the three?" Mr Ramsbottom asked,
As 'is hand to his pocket did dip.
Ted said: "Same for three as it would be for one,
Per tuppence per person per trip."

"Y' not charging tuppence for that little lad?"
Said Mother, her eyes flashing wild.
"Per tuppence per person per trip", answered Ted,
"Per woman, per man, or per child".

"Fivepence for three, that's the most that I'll pay",
Said Father, "Don't waste time in t'talk".
"Per tuppence per person per trip", answered Ted,
"And them, as can't pay, 'as to walk!"

"We can walk, an' all", said Father.
"Come Mother, It's none so deep, t'weather's quite mild".
So into the water the three of them stepped -
The father, the mother, the child.

The further they paddled, the deeper it got,
But they wouldn't give in, once t'begun.
In the spirit that's made Lancashire what she is,
They'd sooner be drownded than done.

Very soon, the old people were up to their necks,
And the little lad clean out of sight.
Said Father: "Where's Albert?" And Mother replied:
"I've got 'old of his hand, 'e's all right!"

Well, just at that moment, Pa got an idea
And, floundering back to old Ted,
'E said, "We've walked half-way. Come, tak' us the rest
For half-price , that's a penny a head."

But Ted wasn't standing for none o' that there,
And, making an obstinate lip,
"Per tuppence per person per trip", Ted replied,
"Per trip, or per part of per trip".

"All right, then", said Father, "let me tak' the boat,
And I'll pick up the others half-way.
I'll row them across, and I'll bring the boat back,
And thruppence in t'bargain I'll pay".

T'were money for nothing. Ted answered: "Right-ho",
And Father got hold of the sculls.
With the sharp end of boat towards middle of stream,
He were there in a couple of pulls.

He got Mother out - it were rather a job,
With the water, she weighed 'alf a ton --
Then, pushing the oar down the side of the boat,
Started fishing around for his son.

When poor little Albert came up to the top,
'Is collars were soggy and limp.
And, with 'olding 'is breath at the bottom so long,
'Is face were as red as a shrimp.

Pa took them across, and he brought the boat back,
And he said to old Ted on the slip:
"Wilt' row me across by me'sen?" Ted said:
"Aye, at per tuppence per person per trip".

When they got t'other side, Father laughed fit to bust.
'E'd got best of bargain, you see.
'E'd worked it all out, and he'd got 'is own way,
And 'e'd paid nobbut fivepence for three!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

All interesting postings to an ex-Runcornian down here in W.Wales.
The last time I cycled over the bridge, it was fairly quiet; mind that was back in 1967!
I've a friend down here who has cycled all over Europe and also tandemed across USA twice. He cycled from Pembrokeshire up to Lancaster a couple of years ago, and although we'd plotted a route for him from Runcorn to Widnes (with current local input) he says he has never been so terrified on a bike as the bridge crossing. He missed the shared path and started cycling on the carriageway before opting out and getting the train from Runcorn station.
From what I've heard, it's a bit difficult getting onto Doctors (or Savages) Bridge by bike, to be able to get onto the shared path. Hopefully the new signing mentioned above will help.
Great to see the lyric of the old monologue. I was lucky enough to find a copy on CD last year by the great Stanley Holloway.
I'm coming up to Runcorn next month for a family visit so may scout out what's going on.
Good to see the new Linnets doing OK too!
"Come on the corn!"
John Holiday

Runcorn Bridge

Post by John Holiday »

Shame that they got rid of the Transporter Bridge!
julk

Post by julk »

The Widnes/Runcorn Transporter Bridge put cars in their place.

Cars would queue for absolutely ages to get on. The maximum load was about 9 vehicles, and a 2 hour wait was possible on busy days.

Pedestrians and cyclists went straight on as was right and proper! I used to go dayrides Widnes/Delamere/Chester and back with a friend.

I last used it in the 1950s.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

That's one hell of a day ride julk, Dalkeith to Delamere.
Much respect, as they say somewhere or other.
For nostalgia's sake you could try the transporter bridge in Newport, South Wales although that's currently out of action.
What about t'other one? Isn't it in Middlesborough or did it really get shipped to USA by the Aufwiedersehn boys!
julk

Post by julk »

I am sure the dayride was Widnes to Chester via Delamere, around 50-60 miles for the round trip, back in the late 1950s.

Dalkeith is where I live now. Dalkeith/Chester would be a good drive in a car, never mind on a bike!
pes

Post by pes »

Do NOT cross the bridge on the road. Trust me. Your life expectancy will be shorter than a WWII fighter pilot if you do.
Use the footpath (on the LHS from Widnes-Runcorn).
Strictly speaking you are supposed to dismount. I never do though.
Also, to give it its correct title it is called "The Silver Jubilee Bridge". Coming from Widnes I hate it when people call it the Runcorn Bridge.

Ps. I know an old guy who holds the distinction of being the first person to cross the bridge. His name is Terry Burns.