Bar bag for Specialized Tricross?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cookster

Bar bag for Specialized Tricross?

Post by Cookster »

Does anyone have any knowledge of fitting problems for bar bags for Specialized Tricross? The handlebar is quite thick, and looks like a bar bag fitting might struggle.

I'm looking to buy a bar bag for mine, so would appreciate any help.

jam05

Yes!

Post by jam05 »

I have a Specialized Tricross Triple Sport and I've fitted an Ortlieb barbag onto it. In order for it not to squash the brake and gear cables, I have fitted it with an extension mounting block (see Wiggle link below).

Here are some pics:

The photos show the mount with the extension on and also, as can be seen, with the bar bag on!

When you buy an Ortlieb bar bag it comes with a mounting set but does not come with an extension. You can buy the extension here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ting%20Set

and you can find the barbag I have fitted here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 0Bar%20Bag

and more generally, you can find the range of Ortlieb handlebars that Wiggle have here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Manufacturer.as ... 0Handlebar

St John Street also sell all the bits for Ortlieb bar bags.

Ortlieb are a bit pricey but are worth going for in my opinion as they last and you can always find spares and bits that you wouldn't otherwise with less decent makes. Ortlieb also have really clear instructions for fitting so its more or less a doddle to get on.

Anyway hope that helps, let me know what you decide to do.[/img]
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Lots of handlebars nowadays are 31.8mm diameter, rather than the older 25.4/25.8/26.0/26.4mm 'standard'. I expect the Tricross bars are 31.8.

Unfortunately most handlebar bag clamps sold with new bags are still made to fit 26mm bars.

Lots of handlebar bags now use Rixen & Kaul's KlickFix system, which works really well. If you buy a bar bag with a 26mm KlickFix clamp you can get a new KlickFix clamp to fit a 31.8mm bar. The whole handlebar clamp should cost about £14. I think you can get just the bits that go round the bars for about £4.

Have a look on the web at Altura, Ortleib and Carradice websites and see if they offer 31.8mm fixings for bars. And pop down to your LBS and see if they have bar bags. They ought to be able to sell you one that fits your bars straight away.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

Excellent info, thank you :D
jam05

Tricross 31.8

Post by jam05 »

The Specialized Tricross bars are 31.8mm and the Ortlieb bar bag mount fits fine as the photos above show.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Klick fix do indeed sell the larger clamps. The Altura Aran I was looking at last weekend was being sold in LBS with the larger clamp. I would assume that it is possible to order one with the 31.8mm clamp from LBS.