Winged wheel frame transfers.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Winged wheel frame transfers.

Post by JohnW »

The subject of the CTC winged wheel frame transfers has been discussed on the Forum previously, and it seemed that they are no longer available, and that the CTC was not interested in having them produced again. I have more questions.

My first question is – does anyone know whether there has been a change of stance on the part of the CTC?

My second question(s) refer to what I believe to be earlier versions of the transfers that we were discussed previously. The transfers that I recall were waterslide transfers, very slightly larger than a £2 coin : blue where the £2 is silver and white where the £2 is gold, with the winged wheel and letters “CTC” in block sans serif lettering, printed in gold on the central blue disc, and “CYCLISTS TOURING CLUB” printed in gold around the white ring surround, with gold edging to the outer circumference and a gold circle between the blue centre and the white surround.

I have found, in an old envelope, and much to my surprise, some examples of what I can only assume are earlier versions of the above. They are larger than the above transfers (a bit bigger than the old half-crown), and have the letters CTC in the old traditional gothic typeface. The most interesting thing is that around the bottom of the white ring is an arc containing the legend : “MID-YORKSHIRE”.

The term “MID-YORKSHIRE” puts the transfers earlier than 1977, but the “CTC” typeface on the winged wheel changed from gothic to sans-serif sometime between late 1961 and early 1964. It is my belief that these transfers are therefore at least 44 years old.

The transfers are face-down onto the “backing” sheet, which I think (but only think) means that they are spirit-fixed transfers and, believe it or not, I can’t remember ever having applied such transfers.

I assume that the transfers were possibly CTC issue, and available with any other DA legend as required, but of course I may be wrong.

Does anyone remember these transfers?
Does anyone know how to ascertain whether these are spirit or waterslide transfers?
Can anyone give me instruction on application of spirit transfers? – I bet CJ will know.
Michael

Varnish Fix transfers

Post by Michael »

John,
Try H.Lloyd Cycles for all your transfer needs. Nick is a smashing bloke.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... at_lloyds/

This is how you are supposed to fix varnish transfers:
How to apply varnish fixing transfers
Separate the backing paper from the retaining tissue just at one corner of the transfer.
Lightly and evenly coat the printed area on the back of the transfer with varnish. Avoid polyurethane varnishes as these will attack some transfers, Raleigh recommends "Copal" varnish for its cycle transfers. When the varnish is extremely tacky (after 10 - 15 minutes) the transfer is ready to apply.
With the aid of the guide lines printed on the backing paper, position the transfer on the machine. Press down lightly. Now carefully remove the backing paper starting from the corner you separated at the beginning. Then press down harder, removing any air bubbles.
Using a piece of soft material (eg cotton wool) soaked in water, saturate the tissue until it slides off or disintegrates.
Any excess varnish can be removed using another piece of soft material dabbed in white spirit. Dry off the surplus spirit with a dry piece of soft material.
Allow the transfer to dry for at least 24 hours before handling it. A final coat of varnish over the transfer will help to protect it.
Best wishes mick
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thanks Mick - I will try one transfer onto something other than a frame, to try and acquire the skill and to check that the transfers are what I believe them to be.

I've heard about "the man in Penrith", and in fact I've just had a Pennine frame refurbished and re-sprayed, and the framebuilder who did the job for me (Chris Marshall of Keighley) got the head transfers made to replicate the originals by "the man in Penrith". They are in fact superb, and better than the originals - I know it sounds daft, but it's true.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Winged wheel frame transfers.

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

I tried to get the transfers when we ran the CTC shop, although they were sold old CTC head office did not know who actually made them (NONE OF THE BELOW ARE TO SCALE)

Image Transfer

Some other images that may be of interest:

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
glueman

Post by glueman »

JohnW wrote:the framebuilder who did the job for me (Chris Marshall of Keighley)

I've been unable to find anything out about Chris, he doesn't appear to have a web presense or a brochure. How does one get to see his work?
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I joined the CTC in 1982 and this badge on the right is the one I brought from the CTC shop at the time. The Teesside DA badge is a spare.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Glueman

Chris Marshall used to be the framebuilder at Pennine Cycles when Johnny Map was the owner. Lost his job when regime changed late last century. He built me a frame around 2000 and at that time he was using a lock-up industrial unit in Keighley.

Phone number was and may still be 01535 691073.

I was very pleased with the work he did and he spent some time discussing things with me - I wanted a decent frame but suitable for Sachs hub gears and hub brakes. Obviously, something somebody more used to biulding for Record groupsets had not done before but he was very obliging, never tried to talk me out of it, and built it in such a way that if I or a subsequent owner changed their mind, it was still capable of running a normal derailleur set up. At that time, he charged a single rate for a frame, depending only on the type of tube set, and braze-ons to taste were included in that flat rate.

I stick to the Henry Ford colour scheme for hand built frames ( not that I have ordered many) to allow easy touching in of scratches etc., but he is a real artist with the paint spray. He had some quite amazing hand-sprayed designs on handlebar stems and that sort of thing. If you wanted a bike sprayed to look like leopardskin or a zebra or anything else, he would be your man.

With having no obvious business presence - not being in the back of a well-known shop - I don't know how good business was. At that time, he had not been there so long. He was a bit hit-and-miss over opening times - I once trailed to Keighley by prior arrangement and then had a bit of a wait, not knowing if he would come, but he did in the end.

I heard of him through personal recommendation and for what I wanted he came up trumps. I'm glad to hear from JohnW that he is still in operation. He was included in a list of frame refinishers published by CJ in the CTC mag., sometime within the last few years.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Thanks TC.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Glueman -

It's an amazing fact that, although I have had several Pennine frames down the years, and I live quite near (comparatively, that is) to where Chris is in practice, I hadn't heard of his business until one of our members had a frame built by him last year. If I'd known about him being in business then, I may never have gone to Mercian (I'll have MickF after my blood for this) eighteen months or so ago for my most recent frame.

Before I ordered my Mercian, I'd had a Pennine refurbished (at Pennine), but it wasn't until later that I learned that Chris had done the paint job. I subsequently wanted another Pennine altering, refurbishing and re-spraying, and I went to Chris for that, on the strength of other re-furbs that I'd seen, done by him, and the frame built for our member - also on the strength that I knew him, very very slightly, of old, when Johnny Mapplebeck (Johnny Snr - the one we all know and love) was in charge in the Pennine shop.

My re-furbed frame is absolutely excellent, and I hope I'm not committing heresy when I say that, much as I'm in love with my Mercian, Chris's paint job is every bit as good.

The number given above by thirdcrank is still Chris's number, and if you go to see him (ring him first, but beware - it's easy getting within a hundred yards of his establishment, but from then it's very difficult to find)
you will be amazed at his enthusiasm and he will probably be able to show you some examples.

I will certainly go to him again.

Hope that helps.
dc

Winged wheel transfers

Post by dc »

Hi as far as I can see the CTC council are doing their best to drop the winged wheel as our emblem of the CTC and replace it with a trendy logo. Shame on them, the cyclists of yesteryear would turn in their graves if they knew the way this club is now being run. You would not get Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz getting rid of their logo. Regards DC
PaulB

Re: Winged wheel transfers

Post by PaulB »

dc wrote:Hi as far as I can see the CTC council are doing their best to drop the winged wheel as our emblem of the CTC and replace it with a trendy logo. Shame on them, the cyclists of yesteryear would turn in their graves if they knew the way this club is now being run. You would not get Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz getting rid of their logo. Regards DC

Never mind "cyclists of yesteryear" those of us who appreciate classic design would not be seen dead sporting the new childish logo! Bring back the winged wheel.
PW

Post by PW »

Hear Hear!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Winged wheel transfers

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

dc wrote:Hi as far as I can see the CTC council are doing their best to drop the winged wheel as our emblem of the CTC and replace it with a trendy logo. Shame on them, the cyclists of yesteryear would turn in their graves if they knew the way this club is now being run.....

That was what we were told, when we ran the CTC shop franchise we had a small limited edition run of ss jerseys with the logo below and it didn't go down to well that's for sure, although the members seem to like it

dc wrote:You would not get Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz getting rid of their logo...

No you wouldn't, Rolls Royce are indeed and Iconic British Brand that we should be proud of; wonder who owns them, probably some one like the Queen no doubt :wink:

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
atoz

Post by atoz »

H'm. I used to have a CTC frame transfer- no, I tell a lie, it's actually still there on the bike that's permanently on the turbo that I don't often go out on. But most of it is gone.

It looked attractive to me, but it's probably too retro for many people's tastes. I'm sure a more modern one could be devised that doesn't too naff.

Much as though I liked the winged wheel, it probably doesn't mean a lot outside long standing members- of which I am one. So I can understand why CTC dropped it, although not necessarily agreeing with it.
iron legs

Post by iron legs »

Has anyone got a spare they can let Nick Tithcott have to have them copied. I'm not that fussed about having the DA name on it but if the could be produced at affordable cost it would be nice to have one on the bike.

I agree with the comments about the moves to ditch the 'winged wheel'. I think this is a big mistake.