Nigel dean tour ace

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oldoffroader

Nigel dean tour ace

Post by oldoffroader »

Been offered one of these for £120. Its 531 frame with triple groupset. Needs a good clean. Just cant decide yes or no any advice appreciated
tatanab

Re: Nigel dean tour ace

Post by tatanab »

They were well constructed and well thought of frames, but value depends on the quality and state of wear of the components because the frame is around 25 years old.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

its value to you is highly dependent on whether it is the kind of bike that you want and of course if it fits you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

got to be worth that sort of cash, can always flog it on later if need be.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Yes! Subject to above caveats about fit, condition etc. I got one of these second-hand as my first proper tourer a few years back – low-end but sturdy components on a decent frame which made a good basis for bit-by-bit upgrades. (I eventually replaced the by-now-rather-scruffy frame with a resprayed Raleigh touring frame but I'm not at all sure that was an upgrade, and I should maybe have just sent the Nigel Dean frame off to Mercian for some TLC…)
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

They are great bikes, though of course it depends on condition. I have two, and one of them was resprayed at Bob Jackson's, beautiful bike now.
gaz

Post by gaz »

My first touring bike was built up around a ND frame. I liked it.

Most of the ready built ND tourers that I saw had Suntour kit. Beware Suntour freehubs, the cassettes aren't compatible with anything else and production ceased in the early 90's.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
oneten

Post by oneten »

I love mine, it's blue with black and yellow decals and came with trekking bars which are very comfortable. I've done quite a few miles on it - commuted to work on it for about a year and took it on tour last year. I'm off to Copenhagen on it in two weeks. Generally hear people speak well of Nigel Dean as a marque and I'm really pleased to be the owner of one.