North Nottingham cyclists.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick Metcalfe

North Nottingham cyclists.

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Hi all,

I've now joined the CTC as a paid member and was wondering if their are any cyclists around the North of Nottingham. I live in Arnold and am looki g at doing a few rides to get back into fitness. I have seen the cycling schedule on the Nottm CTC website and spoken to a few secretaries regarding meet ups, but it seems all of the cycling takes place in the south of Nottm, which I will struggle to get to and finish the ride too.

I tried to visit the facebook site, but it appears we are unable to post anything on there, so im a bit of a loss on how to meet others within my area and I know, not all people like to use forums. Could anyone suggest additional ways to meet people within the CTC that I may have overlooked? Ofc this post is intended to find people within my area too. :)

As a new member to the CTC, the networking side of things seems a little difficult, if im honest. Ie, a facebook page we can not post to, no google map of members locations (no need for address, but district would be nice, ie Arnold, Clifton etc etc).

Thanks in advance, :)

Mick

P.s. im looking into shorter rides initially, then building up on distance, as I would like to do touring on my recumbent trike.

11750729_790367114409443_6473871691070544414_n.jpg
TrevA

Re: North Nottingham cyclists.

Post by TrevA »

Lowdham is the main meeting place for East and North Nottingham cyclists. There are a variety of groups that head out on a Saturday morning between 9.30 and 10am.

We (Sherwood CC) have 3 rides, the slowest of which is suitable for newcomers and those returning to fitness. We do around 25 miles from Lowdham, with a cafe stop at around 15 miles. If you ride out from Arnold, it will add 5 miles each way. Some people drive down and leave their car at the start. Ed Ward leads the slower group, which averages around 12-14 mph. The route is pretty flat but there is one hill to climb at East Bridgford. Some of the slower riders set out 10 mins early and climb the hill at a more leisurely pace, meeting the others at the top. I lead the medium-fast group which averages around 16mph. Most people are on road bikes but there are some hybrids and tourers. Meeting about 9.45 to be ready to ride at 10am. We meet by the War memorial in Lowdham (there's another much faster group that meets across the road, outside the public loos).

We have other rides on Sunday's and Wednesday's but Saturday's are best for newcomers.

There is also a cycling club based at the Bread and Bitter pub on Mapperley top. They do evening and weekend rides. They are called the Velo Club Bread and Bitter. If you are on Facebook, you can join their Facebook group for details of their rides.

CTC rides tend to meet at Wilford bridge, but there are occasional rides that meet in Daybrook Square or Carlton Square or the old Commordore in Aspley.

Most rides head either south or East as the roads are quieter and nicer to ride. We do a lot of riding in the Vale of Belvoir as there are lots of quiet country lanes. There tends to be more traffic around Mansfield way, but we also head up the Trent valley towards Newark and up towards Ollerton/edwinstowe.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for your reply TrevA! :)

That does sound a lot better, although ill have a nice climb to get up to Mapperly top. Hehe.

Will try and touch base with you for 2 weeks time if thats ok, as tied up with workmen and housework until then. :'(

A friend of mine suggests routes up to sherwood pines and clumber park, which I havent been to in donkeys! Im unable to drive at present due to medication, so will start out a little earlier so I can get a good rest in before we set off again. :) I agree Saturdays would probably be best and then work out a plan after a few ride outs. The 15 miler I did the other week was fine and I felt quite fresh after it, but then again I was doing a relaxed ride at my own pace, which may feel a little different when cycling with seasoned vets, hehe. :P

Again, I thank you for your reply and look forward to what the future holds. :)

Mick
Rhothgar

Post by Rhothgar »

Hi Mick

Me too. I am in Mapperley.

Just bought an old Dawes Galaxy and looking to get fit again.

Am looking for a companion for safety.

I need a front derailleur for my bike to have all gears.

PM and if you fancy a spin. I'm busy tomorrow afternoon from 1pm but am fairly flexible on time otherwise.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Rhothgar wrote:Hi Mick

Me too. I am in Mapperley.

Just bought an old Dawes Galaxy and looking to get fit again.

Am looking for a companion for safety.

I need a front derailleur for my bike to have all gears.

PM and if you fancy a spin. I'm busy tomorrow afternoon from 1pm but am fairly flexible on time otherwise.

Will have to be after next weekend if thats ok? As a lot going off at home with decorating workmen and trying to get things house shaped again, hehe. I will certainly take you up on the offer of a safety man. :) Im not a speed freak though, want to get time in the saddle more than quicker miles, hehe. But if youve got a galexy, im guessing your thinking of touring or something similar too. I have a couple of mates that live just off mapperley top too. They are both getting back into biking, so maybe a nice CTC meet up in its own right then, hehe. :D
Rhothgar

Post by Rhothgar »

OK. Cool.

PM me nearer the time.

I am looking to get some steady miles in and build up my fitness.

I used to race, funnily enough with Sherwood, back in the 80's when I was 47kg. I'm double that now but am looking possibly to get back into time trailing.

I need a few months of conditioning first but I start to think about upping the pace so no worries. Who knows I may have last my mojo in which case perhaps endurance will be my thing but a friend of mine who could never touch me time trialling back in the day has clipped off over 4 minutes on his 10 mile TT personal best. In his mid 40's, he is now posting 21 minutes 10 seconds! Incredible levels of fitness are still attainable it seems.
Rhothgar

Post by Rhothgar »

TrevA wrote:Lowdham is the main meeting place for East and North Nottingham cyclists. There are a variety of groups that head out on a Saturday morning between 9.30 and 10am.

We (Sherwood CC) have 3 rides, the slowest of which is suitable for newcomers and those returning to fitness. We do around 25 miles from Lowdham, with a cafe stop at around 15 miles. If you ride out from Arnold, it will add 5 miles each way. Some people drive down and leave their car at the start. Ed Ward leads the slower group, which averages around 12-14 mph. The route is pretty flat but there is one hill to climb at East Bridgford. Some of the slower riders set out 10 mins early and climb the hill at a more leisurely pace, meeting the others at the top. I lead the medium-fast group which averages around 16mph. Most people are on road bikes but there are some hybrids and tourers. Meeting about 9.45 to be ready to ride at 10am. We meet by the War memorial in Lowdham (there's another much faster group that meets across the road, outside the public loos).

We have other rides on Sunday's and Wednesday's but Saturday's are best for newcomers.

Where does Ed Ward start from? Shearing Hill or Lowdham?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

All club rides now start from Lowdham. It's getting too busy for a group to ride out through Burton Joyce on the main road, so people ride out individually and we meet up at Lowdham.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

You might be interested in Velo Venturers, an informal group doing sociable rides from different meeting places around Nottingham. Speeds vary according to who's there. We do already have a member with a recumbent trike!
www.facebook.com/groups/800013136679874/
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Plenty of informal groups springing up in and around Notts. The more the merrier, I say!
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Slowroad wrote:You might be interested in Velo Venturers, an informal group doing sociable rides from different meeting places around Nottingham. Speeds vary according to who's there. We do already have a member with a recumbent trike!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/800013136679874/

Ah so you're Roger? Thanks for the heads up btw! :D
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Have you looked at Cyclonda? Think it's still being published. Available from local cycle dealers. They list CTC rides and meet ups. There's also Pedals,but think that's more to do with urban cycle commuting and cycle traffic issues. And then there's Clarion cyclists,think they're still around
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

No need to look in Cyclonda. All CTC rides are listed here: http://www.nottsctc.org.uk

Clarion are still around but most of their rides start from the Lime Kiln pub at Cropwell Bishop, which is a long way from Arnold: http://www.nottinghamclarion.co.uk

Clarion are quite quick though, they often come thundering past us on a Saturday morning. I would say they average 17-18mph for their club rides.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Cant see the newstead abbey one on there for the 15th August. :(

I did contact a few of the different secretaries, but it sounded as though nothing goes off in the North of Nottingham, as I was informed there were not many people in the north of Nottm and it isnt as nice as the south rides. With only just starting out cycling and needing to ip my fitness, adding 10 mile onto an already long ride doesnt seem an option for me tbh, as ill be knacked within an hour of starting from the cycle start point, hehe.

I am wanting to meet and ride with new people, but I think a few trips to Clumber park, Newstead abbey, sherwood pines would be in order first to test my legs and get some fitness back! :)

Unless anyone travels to the south with a van and cycles? Ill be more than happy to buy you a drink or pay some fuel money! :)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Do Notts County Council still do their Rural Rides series? They were a good introduction for newcomers and were actually hosted by CTC, Pedals and other individuals and clubs at various start points. I've not seen any leaflets for them recently.

Sherwood have a few members who live in Mapperley and Arnold, and some of these drive to Lowdham, but probably wouldn't have room for a recumbent.

I've just moved from Mapperley to Bingham and it's much easier to get out on to nice quiet lanes from my new house.